01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Champagne for under a tenner

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and ASDA is offering bottles of Henri Cachet Champagne Brut for £9.97 each.

Reading the details it is from Champagne Gruet, 10110 Buxeuil.

Does anyone have any experience of this brand?

1 Like

Nope - haven’t tried it - but why not?

However in my (limited) experience, GOOD cremant is much better than poor Champagne. I tried around 10 fizzes last year and this was one of the best, lovely apple notes from the chenin.

7 Likes

And Sainsbury’s do a decent Cremant de Loire which can often be had for £9/bottle on offer.

Champagne for under a tenner is not worth consideration, I find it especially perplexing that someone would attempt to woo their love with such a thing.

4 Likes

Unless you have tried this one, your judgement is a guess.

Maybe ASDA are selling it at cost or as a loss leader, maybe the seller has excess stocks and needs to clear space as the 2020 vintage comes up for bottling.

Aldi and Lidl have very cheap Champagne and the Aldi one gets good reviews.

@Kidman - why not buy a bottle and see for yourself. It won’t break the bank.

And if you can keep it for a couple of years you’ll find a vast improvement

4 Likes

Think I’d rather drink the Societies very nice Cava than Lidl’s coarse Champagne (not tried Aldi one and it does have good press as already mentioned).

Loads of good Cremant du wherever available, Like this one personally, drank alongside Laurent Perrier NV and stood up well:

2 Likes

The society’s cremant de loire - both the rose and the white version - are just fantastic. No, they are not champagne, but they are tasty and fun.

And normally I’m of the opinion that putting bubbles in wine is a good way of ruining it.

2 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised by Lidl’s offering (Comte de Senneval I think it’s called) a few months ago. If you try with comparisons to >£30 bottles in mind then you might end up slightly disappointed (although I’d love to do a blind tasting to check, I think some people would come away feeling embarrassed!) but if you look at it from the perspective of a £11.50 bottle of sparkling wine it’s very good. Haven’t tried the Aldi one yet.

Another vote for the society’s Cremant de Loire though - that’s great.

2 Likes

Something that always strikes me is how often modest supermarket champagne seems to outperform the grandes marques stuff in blind tastings.

Alhough I’m sure there’s a good dose of supermarket-driven PR in those tasting events, for me this is proof that there’s less objective difference in quality between (say) £10 and £35 champagne than there is between their equivalent in still wine.

Unlike many on here I’m not a big fan of sparkling wine so might be talking rubbish. I do know I’d be confident of opening something special if i spent £35 on a still wine but may well be underwhelmed if I bought a champagne at the same price.

4 Likes

I agree there are some excellent Cremants* around, but all the suggestions have been priced way more that the sub £10 Champagne that was the subject of the original post.

• and I have a record on this forum for praising ones made from other than the Pinot family which I do not think makes the best traditional method fizz.
2 Likes

We are not regular champagne or sparkling wine drinkers. We tended to feel the same as you until on New Year’s Day we opened a bottle of the Society’s own label NV champagne that we had bought back in 2017.

We have always enjoyed this champagne and it has a good reputation for its maturity on release. But this was extra special in part I am sure because we had left it alone for over three years. It was superb and Mr JayKay was moved to say that he would happily drink champagne every week if it always tasted like that. A rare accolade. Sorry this was a reply to @UisceBeatha - finger trouble.!

5 Likes

True. But on this basis if someone asked me if Mexico exists I would be guessing. And I think of this as a similar sort of guess.

I also oppose the idea that keeping gooseberry cider for a couple of years will result in anything other than older gooseberry cider.:grin:

I tried the Lidl Champagne, meh at best. Like the quote about a dog walking on it’s hind legs, it was surprising to see it done at all rather than it being done well.

I think it may depend on how you intend to serve the cheap champagne. I agree that seeking out the cheapest bottle just for the sake of a bargain is pointless if you are unlikely to enjoy it.

But if you want to make Kir Royale and want a sparkling wine with a good consistent bubble, acidity not mattering as the Cassis will sort that out then a champagne cheaper than a cremant makes complete sense. So much so that we have just bought a couple of bottles of Lidl’s cheapest for that precise reason :+1::champagne:

8 Likes

The secret, we’ve found, to Lidl champagne is to cellar it for a year or two. It really does have a significant impact. We found that out almost by accident. We bought some when it was on offer after Xmas a few years ago thinking we’d use at a BBQ.in the summer. We then promptly forgot all about it until the following Christmas…

A bottle drunk at New Year was very pleasant. However when we re-visited the following summer (ie 18 months after purchase) it had evolved even more.

I’d also echo the comments about Sainsbury’s Cremant de Loire. It is a very good bottle - especially good value when on offer.

3 Likes

I kept some M&S Oudinot NV for 3 years by mistake.
It was really good when we opened it.
Now I do it with Bolly NV, it works every time.
One never knows how this technique might work on a bottle of “highly regarded” Supermarket £10 Champagne?!?
Now there is a project for someone? :wink: :+1: :dragon:

2 Likes

One muses an idea, and you discover that it has already been done. :clap: :dragon:

've never had gooseberry cider, but I do keep all traditional method sparkling wine for as long as I can, ideally 3 years. I think improvement is noticeable after 6 months.

A lot of the cost of branded Champagne is because of their advertising budgets, and they also want to appear prestigious.

But prices, even of branded Champagnes can and are flexible.

In November Tesco discounted Nicolas Feuillatte to £19 then included it their 25% promotion, bringing it down to £14.25. If bought with their staff discount it comes down to £12.825. So I can understand how a £10 own label Champagne can be >£10

I get the feeling that if ASDA were selling this at, say £19.99, your opinion would be different.

If I was going to the supermarkets I’d buy a few from ASDA to keep awhile.

But, lets agree to disagree on this.

6 Likes

A couple of years ago I got some Lidl pink champagne for Kir reasons at £3.99 a bottle in their post christmas clearance. It was so good most of it ended up being drunk without Cassis.

6 Likes

I’ve heard good things about the Society’s own NV champagne, especially with a wee bit of bottle age. I might add a bottle to my next order and put it away somewhere for a while to see if i have a similar epiphany :+1:

4 Likes

@UisceBeatha I’ve got a much better idea. Put a case away, because when you drink your aged TWS Champers after a bit if cellaring, you will be crying into the glass that it is your only bottle (18 months to 3 years works for me btw).

6 Likes

No…must…resist!

Since joining TWS 18 months or so ago, I’ve discovered the expensive excitement of EP buying, tasted lovely village-level burgundies and wondered how good 1er and Grand Crus must be, discovered gems from new places such as Greece and Tasmania, and generally seen my average bottle spend increase significantly - (albeit with an even greater increase in enjoyment). I console my rational, financially-aware self with the fact that I generally avoid whole categories such as Bordeaux and sparkling wine.

But you make a compelling argument for investing in a case😄

15 Likes