01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Champagne Doux

The Society offers a Demi-sec, but I wanted to try a really sweet Champagne. Even with the Internet, it’s not easy to find, but I am now awaiting a delivery of Girardin Rubato. Has anyone drunk Champagne Doux? When one reads about Champagne in the pages of Surtees or Dickens, how dry/sweet would it have been?

I’ve done a number of dinners with Champagne brands where we’ve tried a range of their wines, but I don’t recall ever having a Doux. I’m not even sure which houses make one, but I am intrigued to try it

It was popular in pre revolutionary Russia, but not a style I have come across.

A wee bit of research has thrown up these growers that make a ‘Doux’ style:
Vincent Lamoureux (Cuvée Spéciale Fois Gras et Dessert)
Veuve Clicquot (Rich - made specifically with cocktails in mind)
Philippe Doury (Nectar des Anges)
Doyard (La Libertine)
Giradin, as mentioned in the original post (the only one on sale in UK),

It would appear that Fleury used to do one, and André Beaufort did too.

Very interesting. I have to say that the names they have chosen do not inspire confidence.
“Cuvee Speciale Foie Gras et Dessert” is informative, even instructive, but completely lacking in resonance.
“Nectar des Anges” strikes me as simultaneously pretentious and hackneyed.
“La Libertine” is a bit better, but perhaps trying too hard.
“Rich” is the worst of the lot: to be mixed into cocktails is perhaps all that it deserves.
How often does one get to name something really important like a child, a horse, or a wine?

:laughing:

Very true! These wines do not appear to be as well taken care of as the rest of the ranges, and that is in a region apparently renowned for its branding & marketing skills (and investment).

I’ve tried quite a few demi-secs from Champagne and Saumur - I’ve got to say I think the Loires are better - Bouvet Ladubay, Ackerman are both good. I imagine the Victorian wines were very sweet to combat the chances of microbial spoiling in bottle …