01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Champagne Chasers

Maybe a thread for all things to do with Champagne.
I see that Bolly NV is going out in Mystery cases.
Does that mean that we (the Society) has over bought?
I didn’t buy my normal Christmas case Offer because I could get it from other sources at better prices.
I like to “extended cellar” my Bolly NV, has the Society thought of doing this for us?
If the Society has NV that has been cellared for a while, they could tell us as this may be a selling point.
What do you think?

5 Likes

Taffy
If it is of any help Bollinger do not put a disgorgement date on their back label but there is a labelling date usually on the neck foil. the Code is L and then the year and day of labelling. So L14256 means it was labelled in 2014 on the 256th day of the year. Labelling takes place usually very shortly after disgorgement. So you can work out bottle age with reasonable accuracy. There are sometimes a couple of digits after the day number but I believe that you can ignore those.
So that should help you wth your extended cellaring.
There is no uniform practice with champagne houses and growers about back label info. Some growers go into great detail about blends, dosage, TA, SO2 levels, disgorgement dates etc. (Usually small growers).

3 Likes

I have posted several times, this explainer!! :+1: :dragon:

apologies i had completely forgotten about that!

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: Got those T-shirts!! :+1: :dragon:

2 Likes

You tried the PV15 yet or are you letting it sleep first?

I’ve just called this from my free wine collection reserves. Earlier than planned by a year or so, but I have no fizz and it’s both my partner and niece’s birthdays within the next week. All the constituent champagnes are available, but the case is not.

Very much looking forward. Especially to the Pierre Paillard.

6 Likes

There was a problem with delivery and in the end did not get it!! :sob:
I am really sorry that the Society did not list it.
I hope they do the Bolly 2012 GA Rose which is rated very highly.
I shall have to console myself with these, whilst not cheap, are meant to be very good.
A minor Bolly night for the Super Bowl tomorow night. Halves of the NV and NV Rose. :grinning: :dragon:

1 Like

I bagged a couple bottles… Think maybe I leave them a bit??? Will let you know, to inform future purchases…

1 Like

I really like the look of the growers case. I never buy big negociants wines. All house style and no individual approach.

1 Like