01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Champagne and All Sorts of Fizz!

You won’t be surprised to hear “it’s a bit more complex than that”, but carbonic acid is a weaker acid than tartaric and malic acids, so I suppose that’s not a bad way of looking at it.

All way over my head but what I can do…

• I like big bubbs and I cannot lie
  • Tiny bubbles make me happy

0 voters

2 Likes

Lobster tastes better with bigger chunks, my mouth finds!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

From a little bit of reading I’ve done on this, it appears that the bubble size is related to the amount of CO2 dissolved in the liquid, which is itself related to the pressure at which the CO2 was added to the liquid. So CO2 injected at higher pressure ought to create larger bubbles.

Interestingly, the reason why bubbles grow as they rise in the glass is not, as I had presumed, due to the decrease in external pressure as they rise, but actually due to more CO2 entering the bubble from the liquid over time.

Not wishing to be controversial, but BIG BUBBLES say coarse/ rustic to me!! :tophat: :coat: :running_man::taxi: ::wink: :dragon:

2 Likes

Therefore potentially making this a quality issue , I’ve always attributed finer bubbles to higher quality fizz, lower fermentation temps, longer Lee’s ageing etc…… why would anyone want an aggressive bubble. ??
Seems odd

1 Like

How can I not like both of those options!

Edit: I see I am not the only person to have voted both options

4 Likes

Best steer clear of both!! :wink: :rofl: :dragon:

4 Likes

Oxford was first…

1 Like

Recently purchased a bottle of Tesco Finest Premier Cru Brut Champagne.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/255245446

I bought this product in halves & bottles last Autumn and found it very good value for money at £22.
Recently, I spotted it again and this time sporting an IWSC Gold Medal from the 2021 tastings. Normally I do not give these “Medals” too much credence, but given previous, positive experience - gave it a go!!
It was as non-descript a Fizz as I have encountered in a long time. Not much on the palate, but much worse - the yeasty, brioche component on the nose, completely absent.
If I were to score it, then 3/10 and a cost of £7. :open_mouth:
So my advice, if you see it on the supermarket shelf, then body-swerve it like a good Welsh No.10!! :rofl: :dragon:

4 Likes

That’s unusual, Tesco Finest quite often pop up in newspaper/Decanter recommendations and when I’ve tried them they’ve generally been good. I’ll let the Champagne pass me by though, thanks for the tip.

See my comment above on the Tesco Finest ESW which Good Housekeeping reported as have the best brioche notes.

Over the weekend, phaphed over whether to buy this one.
Essi Avellan 95-97/100, Richard Juhlin 95/100, Jeb 96/100, Parker 95/100, Vinous 94/100
Comparatively, the price is the market rate.
The huge upside is that it goes strait into my reserves, to join a case bought on release.
And I also have some 2008.
So bullet bitten, :open_mouth: !! :sob: :sob: but the pain will subside by next year and then I will be pleased with my booty!! :clap:
All I would wish now is that Sarah would get some Bollinger GA Rose 2012 for us, which has attracted some phenomenal reviews. :pray: Pretty Please!! :wink:

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/champagne-bollinger-la-grande-annee-2012

1 Like

And whilst waiting for the Bollinger Grand Annee Rose 2012 to hopefully be listed.
My thoughts might flirt with the future release of these two, that given the magnificent 2008 vintage, could be quite sublime.
Bollinger Grande Annee Rose 2008
And
Bollinger R.D. 2008
Here’s hoping!! :yum: :wink: :dragon:

Given the high ratings that the:

Bollinger Grande Annee Rose 2012

Has garnered, and the odd comment regarding availability due to demand and the size of the crop, I have decided to hedge my bets and acquire two more bottles of this highly lauded cuvee. I look at CellarTracker, and note the TN’s there.
And the “cheapest” :sob: :sob: that I can find it is here:

Buy 2 bottles, and no delivery charge.
As far as scores are concerned, I have become increasingly pragmatic.
For example Cristal Rose 2012 (ave 97/100) ex L&W £435.
Bollinger Rose 2012 (ave 96/100) £100 + depending on where you source it.
And as one approaches the magic 100/100, in truth - tasting blind, how many of us are truly capable of differentiating between 96 and 98??
Not me, that’s for certain!!

But truth be known, I bought the Bolly G.A. 2012 from the Society on release, and recently as well. They sit in Reserves and delighted that they are there.
With some bottles sourced elsewhere, that’s enough for me. :+1:
Now these additional 2 bottles of the Bolly G.A. Rose 2012 give me some insurance, lest this cuvee never get’s a Society listing. :open_mouth:

But I rarely take one or two or even 3 sources of opinion, when spending at this extortionate level.
Forget the “experts,” what do the “punters” like you and me think??

Job done!! :dragon:

2 Likes

I really don’t take much notice of points and pundits with champagne. I am quite proud to say that it is about the only wine region where I exclusively follow my own nose. I am influenced to try all sorts of champagnes but I know what I like, which in terms of style can be quite diverse. It makes me a less anxious when it comes to buying champagne than any other region, and more satisfied with the results. Mind you, that may be because drinking champagne always makes me happy.

But yeah, the GA 2012, fantastic, the Bolly rose NV brilliant, the only vintage Rose Bolly I tried seemed a bit heavy and serious somehow. But it may have been a faulty bottle.

2 Likes

We seem to agree.
Most Chardonnay leaning Champers, are not to my taste.
I want yeasty brioche, flowery with a presence - redolent of class!!
And in this style strewn number of Houses, each with it’s own particular “groove,” I think there will be one that suits each individual but the majority cast aside as “also rans!!”
I found Bolly, very early in my quest. I have flirted with others but have remained faithful to the House that provided me with the one that truly turned my head.
Like the fateful day when I first tasted PJA Hermitage “La Chapelle” 1990, I just knew that I was in the presence of greatness.
It was precisely the same with Bollinger R.D. 1976, it just floored me. Not everyone there got it, my BF who has cardboard for a tongue :rofl: couldn’t see it, his wife though was very much there.
The bit that I most appreciate is that I now have benchmarks of excellence, I have found myself on top of “Everest” and each time it was unexpected and utterly memorable.
I agree about the “serious” comment on the Vintage Bolly Rose, I also occasionally get that
on the NV and I like it. Champagne is a frivolous refreshment, for me the Rose takes it into a thought provoking sphere that I was unaccustomed to with the standard G.A., and no harm my vista becoming expanded. :wink: :dragon:

1 Like

Just spotted this one, due in 29/10/2021 at £29 per bottle for a 6 bottle case.
It seems to be very highly thought of.
And you can order it now.
https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/champagne-lilbert-grand-cru-blanc-de-blancs-brut-nv

Sadly of no use to me, as is 100% Chardonnay and will have an obvious Lemon component which I am not a fan of. I prefer Fizz with a strong leaning towards Pinot Noir/Meunier.
So in the immortal words, "Knock yourselves out!!"
I imagine that this one will sell well, and will be terrific for the Christmas table or even parties!! :dragon:
UPDATE
Just spotted a very positive review by John Gilman, the US reviewer.
He said that “lovely bouquet of pear, delicious apple & chalky minerality and fairly approachable out of the blocks - built to age, long and gracefully with a drinking window of 2020 - 2050” (92+/100) One just might conclude that he likes it. :wink:

4 Likes

This is a great example of the new website also showing the rear label. 2017 base (50%) and the rest older, disgorged summer 2020.

6 Likes

Interesting and slightly bizarre development on Champagne-ski Gate reported in the Times last week.

So much for the French valiantly defending the indelible marque of Champagne; seems money does the taking. It is, after all, just fizzy wine isn’t it ?

2 Likes

The marketing behemoth of Champagne will crush the Russians under the sheer weight of it’s budget. Silly move by Putin, the Oligarchs won’t be seen dead with anything less than Kristal.

2 Likes