01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Chablis Co-Op

Hi all

In an world of ever increasing Chablis prices, I spotted something of a potential bargain at my local M&S

A 2014 or 2015 (can’t remember which) village Chablis from the ‘Union des Viticulteurs de Chablis’ which I assume is quite different from the highly regarded Chablisienne Co-Op

Does anyone have any experience of this producer? At just over £15 a magnum it seems to have Christmas written all over it but I know Chablis, like much of Burgundy, depends on a good producer

They also had a Grand Cru Laroche discounted to 30 something quid (standard bottle) but had sold out

It is the same organization as La Chablisienne, though whether those are the same wines I can’t say. They are both registered at 8 Boulevard Pasteur, Chablis (where there is a La Chablisienne shop). A quick Google suggests that ‘Union des Viticulteurs de Chablis’ is the label under which they market the wines to large chains and supermarkets.

Here’s a link to a French company information website -
Registration info.
…where it also appears that the sous-marques “La Cave Chablisienne”, “Cave des Vignerons de Chablis” as well as ‘Union des Viticulteurs de Chablis’ are all owned by them. It’s a fairly common sort of commercial practice if you are selling to different niche markets, to avoid undercutting your own products thereby.

But anyway, it sounds like a good deal - I don’t think I’ve heard anything negative about this producer, and they do have the reputation of being one of the most reliable Cave Co-Ops in France.

Great, thank you. Will pick one or two up for general Christmas merriment then!