01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

CEO engagement

Steve
It is hugely refreshing for the CEO of a large organisation to take the time and trouble to not only answer but also join in customer debates (sometimes quite fiery) and answer issues in detail and with such patience. May I take this opportunity to express my appreciation of your contribution. The pressure on your time is enormous and to engage at forum level is not something that many CEOs make the effort to do
Thank you.

33 Likes

Fully endorse this, @SteveF. Almost every organisation sets targets for their senior leadership team to be more “visible” and most of them tick the box by holding a couple of stand up events and claiming to have met their targets. It’s refreshing to see honest and open comments on a forum used by a tiny percentage of members, both by yourself and buyers such as @Freddy, @horsleym and @Toby.Morrhall.

17 Likes

You are very correct but perhaps they should!!
When I had a proper job, the CEO used to enjoy walking the floor and getting an earful
from the workforce. shame it doesn’t happen more.

6 Likes

Yes I agree with you. It should not be the exception it should be the norm to engage with your members. I sometimes feel people forget this is a cooperative not a business.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s not a business but I would say it’s both.

4 Likes

My current job, one of the people coping least well with lockdown is the CEO, because he can’t do this. When we were allowed into the office 10 at a time, he was always one of them 10, and would circle round the other nine having a several chats with each of us in turn (I was nearly always also one of the other nine).

3 Likes

I can only echo your comments Andrew , I had a personal e mail from Steve regarding a problem I had encountered and instead of the bland “customers are at the heart of what we do” kind of e mail I got a detailed response which was so refreshing.

7 Likes

Man, I hate this ubiquitous mantra! You will be surprised to hear that at my university, ‘students are at the heart of what we do’. No shit, Sherlock!

5 Likes

I await a response from a business that “making as much money as possible is at the heart of what we do”.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure the academics would disagree with this statement.

6 Likes

[Getting] students [into our university] is at the heart of what we do …

6 Likes

I may have mentioned that when I retired in 2016 I went back to Uni and studied Medieval history. As a mature (senile?) Student I got the know the lecturers and professors very well. I cannot speak for other departments but the history staff at the UEA were tremendous and totally dedicated to the students. They were great fun, enthusiastic, and keen for the students to do well.

4 Likes

Did you study with David Bates, perchance? Lovely chap.

1 Like

I am very aware it’s a hashtag not all unis thing. I actually had a very good undergrad experience myself. However the way I saw undergrads treated and the attitude of academics toward them during my time as a doctoral/postdoc researcher was pretty horrific and left me a little jaded about the whole thing.

2 Likes

David Bates did attend a couple of seminars and gave us one lecture about Norman Conquest. I used his books and articles quite a lot. As you say, lovely guy. My supervisor was Prof Stephen Church and also had Tom Licence and Nick Vincent marked my dissertation.

1 Like