01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Cast Iron Casserole

I recently purchased a cast iron casserol. My wife was horrified as she found she could not lift it. However i have perseveared . I find that i can make better casserols in it . I use a lower heat than i would with ceramic or glass one. All the contents are thoroughly cooked. When i used my old pottery one the vegetables were sometimes not very soft.
However because of the weight I leave it is the oven overnight to cool. Taking it out just after its cooked theres a danger of getting burnt or worse spiling the hot contents onto your boddy. I am the only one who cook with it as i am the only one strong enough to use it. However that does not worry me as i enjoy cooking.

More appropriate to ‘Homes and Lifestyle’ category than ‘Drinks Chat’ I think.

Tho’ perhaps you’re adding a bottle of wine to the casserole …. ?

Thanks, done!

Benedict, congrats on the cast iron casserole - I have one and its great. A good match with semi-retirement becasue you need several hours in a low oven to get the best results. When doing a casserole, try lining the base with pork rind cut into postage stamp sizes (bacon, gammon, shoulder- any pork to be honest), given 4+ hours of LOW heat it converts to gelatin and adds an amazing richness to your beef stew or whatever…

Have a look at this post

That’s the trick to an excellent cassoulet too.

I have two large cast iron ‘pots’ made by Wagner of America. One with a bucket style handle and the other with a frying-pan style handle, in both cases with a glass cover.

I used to often use them both for curries but haven’t cooked non-European for a while. Your post is a timely reminder for me to get them out and do something different, thank you.

Fascinating.

Used mine yesterday - overnight oxtail. What Agas were made for!
I’ve had that pot for maybe 30 years!

Looks great @colinsmithathome :yum:

there was a rind recipe on a recent rick stein…wasnt convinced by that ! but interested for a slow cook

love oxtail ! I cook mine and leave too cool to take the fat off (leaving some for flavour) and then finish the cook ready t go to the table

From Les Halles by Anthony Bourdain. Haven’t looked for a link, but bought this straight after reading Kitchen Confidential.

Actually sourcing the pork rind was the hardest part - ended up having to pay the butcher the same price per kilo for it as leg, the swine!

Turned out pretty good, hopefully @JamesE can confirm

My mum once told me to buy the best quality cookware I could afford. If you do, it will last you a lifetime, she sagely advised.

Thankfully, I’d taken manual handling courses before I inherited her pots and pans.

Pork rind = Morrisons.

Leastways, in Yorkshire they do that. And tripe, marrowbones, pig cheeks/ trotters & ox cheeks - the latter make a brilliant chilli con carne. In theory a proper butcher should be able to supply - all these odds & ends must end up somewhere?

The fun bit is deciding on the wine: all that extra gelatin & meaty flavour deserves a decent bottle. Southern Rhone as deep as your pockets can afford.

In Wimbledon, too.

My Le Creusets get a lot, lot less use now I have a WMF pressure cooker, I confess.

Pork Scratchings !! …:drooling_face:

There didn’t seem to be a huge amount of fat.
Just as I was about to put the casserole in the oven I remembered some pearl barley. I chucked this in and did not stir so it was mostly on top. You can see it in the picture which was as it came out after 15hrs or so. Maybe the barley absorbed some fat?
I rather like the richness anyway.

The stuff dreams are made of…

I can remember the cassoulet, though strangely i don’t seem to remember what we drank with it.

My casserole dish is one of my prized kitchen possessions! I use it all the time and it’s great both on an induction and gas hob. Can highly recommend the ones they sell in Dunelm:

https://www.dunelm.com/product/orange-cast-iron-casserole-dish-1000093956?defaultSkuId=30272797#details

£42, compared to £200-odd for a Le Creuset equivalent. Sure, it’s probably not as great quality (it’s heavy, for starters) but I’ve used Le Creuset too and I can’t tell the difference…!

Loving these recipes - thanks, guys.