01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Cassoulet

There is a chance that cassoulet will be consumed on Sunday night. There is some 2010 Madiran but that is it in terms of Tannat. What else should I be considering? Suggestions please.

4 Likes

This should have the cut to balance the richness of the dish…

…not that I’ve tried the wine but the Vieilles Vignes from the same producer ( 2015 ) was a fab pairing with cassoulet !

6 Likes

It’s not as savoury or as concentrated as the Vieilles Vignes, but just as good with a cassoulet! :ok_hand:

4 Likes

I am not the best at pairing wines with food, being the kind of guy that will happily pair a red with fish. However, I think that any of the Domaine Jones reds would fit the bill, as would most other Languedoc reds. I like both of these.

8 Likes

I’d be rummaging around the wine rack looking for some chateau Neuf du pape…

3 Likes

If you have any Fronton or Gaillac then that should be your first port of call :grinning:

Or, and TWS actually sell this (or did), a Chateau Pennautier is a reasonable second.

My thoughts on Madiran and Cassoulet I think have been voiced on here before…

4 Likes

Not from the region, but I think a good Etna Rosso could work beautifully with the dish.

7 Likes

This reminds me of a phrase in an Elizabeth David book, describing a French shop sign back in the day which read:

" Fermé a cause du cassoulet" …I think they may possibly have been suffering from a surfeit.

Any SW French red with some ‘cut’ to it would be good I think. Cahors was traditional, perhaps Saint Mont?

6 Likes

That’ll be me on Monday morning (nothing to do with the red wine, of course).

5 Likes

Hmm I’m not sure about Tannat and cassoulet unless it’s a Uruguayan one … bit more supple etc … How about a corbieres ??

3 Likes

Try something like this…

3 Likes

Additionally if you have a Majestic close by they had last week in ours Dom. Guiot Costieres de Nimes 2017 on the shelf under £10.

3 Likes

I’ve got very fond memories of that stuff. When I worked there one of my colleagues called it “the juice” and probably sold pallets of the stuff single-handedly. We had it at our wedding with spit-roast lamb.

5 Likes

Whenever I cook Cassoulet I serve Gigondas. The opportunity is too good to pass up!

6 Likes

I’m with @Templeton and @MarkC a safe bet has to be to go local with wine and food pairings. SW France inspired choices for grape varieties but maybe produced elsewhere. Thinking about Cahors, I actually opened a 2019 El Esteco Malbec last night and all it was missing was a cassoulet :+1:

5 Likes

Are you making the Cassoulet? If yes, what recipe are you using, if no where are you getting it.

(I love Cassoulet, but I’ve never found a recipe that worked for me or a tin/jar in the uk that was good enough either).

3 Likes

The Anthony Bourdain one in Les Halles has worked very well for me in the past.

However, I’m feeling very lazy this weekend (already), plus I didn’t start yet so going to choose one of the containers of bean, duck and pig I brought back from a France and hope for the best.

11 Likes

He is one of my heroes. I have this book. I have never tried the recipe. I am an idiot. Thank you.

7 Likes

Well, well - that’s exactly the recipe I was revising this morning, inspired by your posts. Cracking book, that one.

5 Likes

What do you reckon for my cheat’s version, just sprinkle some seasoned breadcrumbs over the top and bake until hot?

3 Likes