01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Can we talk about Christmas [2018] yet?

christmas

Can we talk about Christmas yet?

Planning and purchasing my wines for Christmas is almost as enjoyable as drinking them over the festive period, so please don’t say ‘no’. Okay, I know that Christmas doesn’t officially begin until the Wine Society sends its Christmas list out.

So, there’s Christmas Eve (two stages), Christmas morning (two more), lunch of course (red and white), then something for the turkey sandwiches for Christmas night (red and white); a tipple with the cold turkey and chips for lunch on 26th (red and white) and, finally, something for the family get together on Boxing day (red and white).

The only one I’ve narrowed down to two is Christmas morning. No raised eyebrows please; surely Christmas day is the one time I can have a guilt-free drink before noon. For me, it always used to be The Society’s Champagne Brut, and it still is I suppose, especially for any visitors who drop by. But, as we approach midday, the new challenger for me is Greywacke, which is simply the perfect accompaniment for some smoked salmon as we head towards lunch.

So, suggestions please for the best wine for the twelve stages of Christmas. Stage One: just arrived home from work early on Christmas Eve; what glass of wine will help me unwind and set the tone for the Christmas break?

I personally don’t think it’s acceptable to unwrap presents until I have a glass of port in my hand. Mind you, it’s a tricky task :gift:

Maybe something cockle-warming and slightly boozy, like this:

…or this:

For the dedicated boozehound, the main attraction of that one must surely be its price.

The Twelve Stages of Christmas! I like your thinking, I may have to steal that :smiley:

I would go for…

Because it’s got a fabulous nose (violets, red fruit) and is just gorgeous on the palate - well structured, substantial and plummy. Proper Beaujolais Cru, and a real bringer of joy. Just the right thing for the start of Christmas :ok_hand:

To kick off the event, I would suggest a minor Fizz, not a Bolly but something fun and celebratory.
Maybe this Cremant D’Alsace Dopff NV which has good reviews and relatively inexpensive.

Simple answer to the question. No , no, no.

No

…Will come back to you in December :wink:

The pre-noon booze is interesting. My wife was shocked when, the first Christmas with my parents, we started making bucks fizz at 8am. That was totally normal for me since about the age of 14!

There are also presents - staff at work, people who help out in other contexts. Last year everyone got Pesquie Terrasses 2015; purchases have been sufficiently prolific this year that I should probably use wines I have in reserve, at least for some. But can anyone suggest a good ‘everyone will love it’ wine that would make an appropriate gift for a wide range of people, at c. £15/bottle?

And then there’s festive parties. I’m considering taking my team to Hawksmoor on a Monday; everyone gets enough turkey, steak will make a nice change and I can bring half a dozen bottles.

Might be a touch above budget but I’ve found Coudoulet de Beaucastel a good crowd pleaser/gift.

It saddens me that I will be driving from my parents’ house in Newmarket, Suffolk to Hove at about 11 on Christmas morning, so will be foregoing the breakfast fizz. But I might be in charge of the wine supply on Christmas Day, and that can only be a good thing. Barefoot merlot at the inlaws’ last year. Never again. I’m already planning to open these on Christmas Day/Boxing Day:
http://www.wineanorak.com/wineblog/canada/norman-hardie-niagara-chardonnay-2013

And 2014 Exhibition Sauternes

@Herbster’s choices for the Christmas Eve unwind are bang on. That Massif d’Uchaux was awesome and life is poorer since it went out of stock. A good mature and ready warming red would be just the ticket though.

@jcbl how about the Weinert 2006 Cab sav, it’s also reduced in price too , can’t imagine anyone would be upset receiving that :grimacing:.

I might open this fizz to start off Christmas…

The limited availability tempted me to purchase in the end.

Absolutely - it’s a very important topic.

The month of December is the month of wine, and Christmas Eve through to Boxing Day takes a lot of research and consideration. The rest of December is pretty much about quaffing some pleasurable wines whilst watching the endless loop of 70’s and 80’s Xmas music videos on pretty much any music channel you choose.

Let me share my itinerary for the festive period, I haven’t chosen my wines yet but the template looks something like this - stating with Xmas Eve.:

My neighbours come over and we indulge in some quality Tv Entertainment:

1. Christmas with Frank and Bing
  2. At Home for Christmas - Michael Buble
  3. Die Hard 1 (obviously)

The food is pretty much any xmas nibble food that takes up to 15 mins in the oven. The wine is much new world, more often an Oz Shiraz and a Cali Cab Sav, with some mulled wine and a cheeky G&T somewhere inbetween.

Then it’s the big day itself. 3 bottles on the table, 1 matured drinking now red Bordeaux and one slightly youthful white Burgundy for mains, and a Sauternes for the pudding. Pre dinner is enjoying some nice fizz with simple finger food, again most likely listening to a more focused Xmas classics playlist from Spotify. I eat dinner and analyse the wine wishing it could be Xmas everyday :wink:, and then move onto the couch where the anaesthetic qualities of dinner kick in for a couple of hours. Later the port and cheese board make a showing where I watch the the ToTP Xmas show openly admitting I don’t know any of the songs of the year, followed by a host of Xmas specials on U.K. Gold.

Boxing Day starts fuzzy, and often with a strong coffee to kick me into life. Then when I start organising the Xmas day left overs and decant a Burgundy Pinot for lunch. The evening consists on another simple quaffing wine whilst I restart my Xmas count down clock and start counting from 364 days until :santa:t2:

I think it’s hard to top that :+1:

I’m overwhelmed by the number of suggestions for Christmas wines, but there is not enough time to try them all. Perhaps the Wine Society should produce a Community Christmas Taster case - but give us time to enjoy them all before needing to place our Christmas order. My own suggestions for inclusion would be The Society’s Champagne Brut and Greywacke (perfect for smoked salmon).

Surely you have to do the count down to new year before starting the next Xmas count down?

I really do try to, but mentally I struggle to see beyond what is the ultimate Christmas movie - Die Hard. After I’ve watched that, I make a frantic stock take of my wines to decide what will pair well with wii Dance fun on NYE, and something more sophisticated for NYD!

When all this has finished , I will turn my attention to what BBQ wines I want try… :grinning:

This is what Christmas tastes like:

Wiston Estate 2010 Blanc de Blancs

Louis Jadot Chassagne-Montrachet de Morgeot

Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon

Looks like I’m round yours for Christmas then @Cormski :wink: