01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Buying a new BBQ (and smoker)

Yes agree the rotisserie is great!

Completely agree with that. I’d rather have a cheaper setup and cook good meat and good recipes than have an expensive or over elaborate setup and cook rubbish on it. That said, it’s worth getting something that’ll last a few years as anything else seems a bit of a false economy

Free sawdust…as long as there is no Laurel or Yew in there!!

A 30 minute bonfire certainly isn’t a cold smoke!

Two sides of salmon would be 12 hours plus for me at about 30-32C . Anything above 35c or certainly 40c for long and you’re starting to hot smoke it.

Need to brine for a day ahead too, or more for a big fish. I got a 20lb fish smoked and it was 36 hours in brine and 24 hours in the smoker.

I totally agree with Mark: You cant beat home smoked salmon - so MUCH more delicious than anything shop bought. I guess my shorter brine time reflects a smaller salmon side. Towards the end of the cold smoke I sometimes let it heat up for the last 10 mins to hot finish - just a personal preference. But if the juices start to run opaque white then it’s ruined.

Sea trout is trickier - I guess because less natural fat?.

Homemade bacon is wonderful, very versatile in the kitchen. Pastrami works well too.

Yes - avoid the poisonous species or softwood sawdust.

I have a carrier bag of chestnut which is excellent, and previously have had good results with cherry, maple and of course oak.

For whisky barrel oak chips try these folk, I buy my whisky from them - direct from cask to bottle. https://www.blackbarrelchips.co.uk/

Sea trout is generally smaller which probably makes it more challenging to cold smoke. I got my 20lb fish done professionally by a local smokehouse as I wanted it vac sealed and didn’t want to risk making a mess of it! We are allowed to keep so few salmon or sea trout these days that I tend only to keep one fish for Christmas. 20lber fed quite a lot though…got 11lb of smoked salmon. Much better than the flabby, oily bright orange stuff that is the usual farmed cr@p. Don’t get me started on salmon farming though…

I don’t cold smoke things myself now as it’s quite a faff getting the right kit together to do it properly, and have the space to do it. I hot smoke quite often though. I do cure my own pancetta/streaky bacon though.

You and me both…

Thanks for the tip Lapin and will give these a try. Their website makes no mention of whisky sales though. Do you have a separate link or any other details for that?

Here you go Mark - I wouldnt post if it was in competition to TWS. The oak chips firm is related to whiskybroker’s owner - hence the source of whisky barrels.
https://www.whiskybroker.co.uk/bottles-c-1?utm_source=redback&utm_medium=adverts&utm_campaign=Shop

The whisky’s vary considerably (buyer beware) and truly evolve as the level in the bottle goes down. Generally less well known distilleries - Ardmore, Ben Nevis, Glen Moray etc- at very reasonable prices.

Apologies for deviation from the original BBq thread - wont happen again.

I just saw that Aldi have started selling a kamado style BBQ for £350. Looks like a pretty decent bit of kit and the best price I’ve seen for a kamado:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/garden-shop/kamado-bbq

That’s a well stocked package for the price! It may be a blatant copy of a Big Green Egg but at a quarter of the price it’s going to sell very quickly!

One other (completely unrelated) note for anyone relying on a dome thermometer to cook with. Don’t forget to calibrate it every so often and especially when you set it up the first time!

Thanks! Looks interesting and will give them a try.

Thanks everyone for some great advice … you may have saved me lots of effort and (some) money

I’m not a proper BBQ expert and doing this research shows me I can probably eke out a few more years from my 14yo Weber Kettle before replacing it … and buying a cheaper multi-tool will probably not be worth it.

I do like the look of that Grill Grate tool for cooking food on more directly as well.

I’ve not even tried smoking with the weber, but I might as well try before I go ahead and spend a fortune.

So, I’m off to spruce up the older BBQ first and maybe look to replace a couple of bits like the grill for a lot less money than buying a new one, and spending the difference on some tools (and wine) instead

:slight_smile:

Hi everyone

I don’t know anything about smoking, but our barbecue has a lid. Would it have a tasty effect if I just chucked some rosemary twigs/stems on the coals and closed the lid for a few minutes?

The rosemary bush that came free with the house is looking a bit sad and, sticking out onto the patio, is frankly in the way of our budding cyclists - but I don’t just want to take it to the dump if I can put the wood to some culinary use.

I frequently use rosemary prunings for the barbeque. Don’t put too much green on or it will smoke a lot, unless you want that of course. Use some of the leaves chopped up in marinades etc.

The branches give a nice aroma.

Perfect! I’ll saw them down to size and make good use of them.

Thanks @MarkC :+1:

Must be quite substantial if you have to use a saw!

Some of it, yeah! :sweat_smile:

Help needed …
I have just opened the BBQ to find these grills and plates like this :sob:! Mr. Leah is damn lucky he is in the middle of the North Sea right now :rage:, any suggestions on cleaning these other than pure elbow grease and scrubbing :disappointed_relieved:?