01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Burgundy visit recommendations

Hi all

I am planning on visiting Burgundy in July and was wondering whether people could recommend any particular regions or vineyards that are particularly worthy of visiting?

I have checked some of the previous forum posts on this topic and see that Oliver Leflaive in Puligny Montrachet is regularly recommended so that’s definitely on the list.

In terms of a rough route, I am thinking of starting with a night in the Chablis region, followed by visits to Dijon, Gevrey-Chambertin, Chambolle Musigny, Beaune and Puligny Montrachet. Any other recommendations for regions to stay in would be very welcome!

Cheers

Sadly I haven’t made it to the Cote d’Or (or further south) yet, but in Chablis I can thoroughly recommend Signe Chablis, which does wine flights, sells to take away and also serves some delicious cheese and charcuterie. We had about eight wines and bought a bottle each of around six.

http://www.schablis.com/accueil-oenobistro/

Perfect! Thank you

I do Burgundy most summers, we have friends in Dijon and see them for a couple of days while we are there. The weather is good usually and its really worth making appointments ahead of time if you want to see a particular winemaker. Chateau de Pommard is a wine tourists mecca but it is beautiful and you may be lucky enough to taste “simone”. It’s close to Beaune but there are also other lovely vineyards to visit, again some are more accepting of visitors and some not so. I’ve always found Marsannay particularly welcoming, again book ahead, I’ve visited Domaine Guyot who do an excellent rosé btw but also some wonderful chambolle, fixin and Marsannay. Smarten up your French as Olivier doesn’t speak English but his wife does if shes there, Otherwise in Marsannay you have Sylvian Pataille (http://winehog.org/visit-domaine-sylvain-pataille-tasting-2016s-cask-33866/)
Couldn’t find an actual website for him but he’s right on the corner as you come doen the hill from the haute cote.
Also for a quick drop in and taste in Marsannay you can try Fougeray de beauclair… interesting little winery. Some of their wines inmho were really good, some not so much but they are open most days for drop in.
The other thing to consider is visiting a negociant, there is a big one called Nuiton-Beaunoyon the outskirts of Beaune. I have to be honest though, their wines did not set me alive. I personally think its a bit of a tourist trap and best wines they had were Moret St. D . I tasted A LOT of wines there and just came to the conclusion that they were selling to a tourist market and most of their wines weren’t that great. But that’s just my personal opinion and you may find better.
The centre of Beaune is alive with little wine caves and shops, do yourself justice and have time to visit a few because some of these shops are literally litte goldmines.
I found the wines far more affordable in Beaune than Dijon.
Anyway, hope this helps somewhat, I’m heading back in August hopefully and hoping we will still be in the EU :+1:

haven’t been for a long time but can recommend Dom Rollin - they supply to TWS…

they even allowed me to take part in the harvest…all 6 bunches that I picked :rofl:

It is a while since I visited the region but I endorse the idea of spending some time in Beaune. A visit to the famous Hospice is a must - conducted tours available were in French when we went but we coped with our much practised O-level skills! Lots of lovely little wine caves and restaurants to suit all pockets.

The absolute best thing to do in Beaune. I took my daughter for the first time when she was 4, she demanded her own audio guide and still talks about the tiled roof. She says its the most beautiful building she’s ever seen :sweat_smile:. She’s a bit like me though and has a “thing” for churches, castles and beautiful architecture .

the Hospice is great for a visit - and that roof is amazing! but I wouldn’t be tempted to buy there

:laughing:

I was thinking on a grander scale…like the KLF on a island

_14O6A

Fantastic, thanks so much Leah. Have you ever visited Robert Chevillon, Jean Grivot or Domaine de Bellene? I see they’re all Wine Soc approved for visits.

No I haven’t @CBiscuit, so many wineries my kids just love to be dragged around :rofl:. Have a look also at the rue de vignerons app where you can book through .