01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Burgundy! - Sylvain Pataille, Marsannay Rosé

Blimey - I cannot believe there isnt a thread devoted to Burgundy. Or perhaps there is and I have missed it? in the unlikely event that this is a first, I shall revise the title to something more fitting to it’s price & prestige, (suggestions please)

Domaine Sylvain Pataille, Marsannay Rosé Fleur de Pinot 2019

Released today. And it’s not cheap (for a Rosé) yet marvelously well priced for a decent Burgundy. Is it more in line with an Alsace P.N. … or perhaps an upmarket Macon Rosé ?

What are people’s thoughts?

1 Like

Truly dreadful stuff.

Leave it for the masochists amongst us :~}

5 Likes

Here you go :slight_smile:

1 Like

The problem with threads like this is the danger that too many half baked generalisations are made.
Burgundy is no different from so many other fragmented regions. But perhaps what sets Burgundy apart is the tiny vineyards and some makers’ names dominate and trigger trophy prices
Added to that is that Pinot noir is such a difficult grape to grow. Chardonnay, too, has had a baggage of issues that triggered a criticism that now is no longer justified.
If I make make one statement; Burgundy is a wine to take on its own terms. It is so different from other fruit profiles and structure.
Red Burgundy is rather like certain schools of music. You cannot take it on your terms. You have to accept that it is different from most other wines.
I have read so many posts on the forum and Burgundy is one that dominates discussion and so often members are desperate to get their trophy names. I wish you good luck in that respect, all too often it is a path to disappointment. Search out the new and unknown. Go away from smart names and appellations. keep on researching and trying different growers and not so well known AOCs.

11 Likes

Amen.

1 Like

Seconded!

Climate change and better wine making have combined to make this a much surer bet in recent years. Quality Pinot Noir will never be cheap as it’s both difficult to grow and low yielding, but it can still be good value if you follow the above advice. Even in Burgundy…

4 Likes

yep - in a nutshell Andrew

1 Like

I put a case in reserves the moment it was released. Been waiting a while!

Thanks @DavidCB , Thread title ammended.

Interesting that it’s going into your reserves. TWS suggest drinking from now until 2027, when do you anticipate withdrawing your case?

I’m intrigued because it’s way outside my experience (except for Macon Rose, and Beaujolais Rose - both being Gamay) - I don’t recall ever drinking a ‘proper’ pink Burgundy. What does one serve it with?

1 Like

And that’s me sorted. No room on the wine rack, so will withdraw this 2 x 3 case around Christmas.

Jancis nods to the fact that it can age well here (5 paras down or so):

1 Like

I’ve drunk it with Eastern Mediterranean food.

Some rose’s give off a satisfying felafel-like aroma so can suit that cuisine quite well.

I seem to recall (its been a few years) this Pataille belongs in that camp.

1 Like

Personally, I’d probably be leaving them a while yet myself.

I’ve only got the 17s to go from, but I had 3 of those over the past 2 years and the last one was the best [for my tastes etc etc].

I left a note for one of them on a Weekend Drinking thread on here about 6 months ago but can’t find it; I probably neglected to include the name of the wine.

2 Likes

Loving the snazzy outfit in your new profile picture!!

1 Like

Ha! That’s our boy at 18 months or so in some Taiwanese kit; I think it must have been @ Chinese New Year, judging from the red envelope in his paw.

Being a data analyst, wife used to photo him in the same chair every week or so to capture him growing up etc. She even developed an Excel sheet for it. Yes. Don’t ask. She’d do the same for me if she could. Luckily I’m still - just about - fast enough to escape her clutches.

I just happened across this photo last night while searching for something, and fancied it as my avatar!

5 Likes

It’s a great photo. He looks a little mystified by the red bag, but I’m sure it won’t be long before he’s far more curious about the contents!!

2 Likes

One thing it does remind me of is good, toasted brioche style sparkling rosé’s. A little bit of copper cherry and full and round. In terms of food, I suspect if you just treat it like you would a burgundy wine in general for food matches, you won’t go far wrong.

It definitely will age too. I took a gamble (it was above my usual price point for a rosé too!) on the 2016 a couple of years ago, and then had a bottle of the 2017 not long after. Both were excellent and it develops and changes with age, so thought I’d bob a case in reserves and maybe withdraw half of them in a couple of years and half of them closer to the 2027 date (which, like all Wine Society dates, is conservative). And, obviously, one reason for them to go into reserves is to stop me drinking them! A problem I overcame by ordering another couple of bottles to be delivered to me on Monday :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I’d echo what @Alexander-C0855 says really - I have these in my mind simply really as a lovely light red Burgundy, and less as a rosé per se. The 3 x 17s I’ve had to date I’ve started as chilled and decanted, and enjoyed them that way and then even more as they warm up & open up. Very nice with charcuterie etc.

I kind of think of them as - very broadly - similar to the Thymiopoulos rosé in terms of ageing & approach to drinking them. The Thymiopoulos is a bit more spicy & rich though to my tastes, and I’ve enjoyed them with a curry before. I wouldn’t dream of doing that with the Pataille ones though!

5 Likes

I would likewise echo @crocos on the Thymiopoulos comparison. Definitely spicier and with a slight orange note, but similarly full bodied and age worthy. To give you a sense of this the last Rosé de Xinomavro I had from Thymiopoulos was about 2 years ago and that was the release of the 2007 vintage. That could have gone on for a good while after too.

1 Like