01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Burgundy for drinking now

OOh I wonder if you marked any of my papers :wink:

1 Like

When did you sit? However as it is a strictly anonymous process I wouldn’t know whose paper it was.

1 Like

February and March last year, Im on the Edinburgh release block.

1 Like

I might have a similar drama to come… I treated us to the SA case and early drinking Rhône case mixed with some reserve withdrawals arriving next week and March. Hopefully masked by the reserves withdrawal and a not often used credit card. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

So tonight as a result of this thread I’ve have Setilles and Baellavoine. The white was glorious and while not exactly ‘cheap’ was certainly a wonderful example of the benefits of trading up a little. 2/3 bottles squiffed with gay abandon.

The red was a delight. At the risk of sounding trite, a perfect marriage of old and new world. Smelled like a fruit cage in high summer, with wondrous soft juicy texture and enough punch to deal with some spicy Japanese noodles. Loved it.

16 Likes

Mine arrive Tuesday.

Seemed rude not to…

2 Likes

Thanks for the notes. Glad you liked them.

2 Likes

Looking at getting a case of the Jobard Bourgogne Blanc to start now. Has anyone had this before? I am encouraged by the fact that they are a Meurseault producer… and of course 2017…

2 Likes

I have had it and his Meursault. Both highly recommended.

4 Likes

I had the 2014 recently and was underwhelmed, seemed to lack fruit intensity. Poor value I thought.

2 Likes

I cannot recall the vintage I drank of either of them

Just had an email directing me to this

No idea about the wine, but it sounds tasty. Final word from Toby - Outstanding. Email text below:
Domaine de la Rochette Montagne de Cra, Mâcon-Milly-Lamartine 2019

This fresh, taut, mineral white Burgundy has an appley freshness and energy even in a warm year like 2019, combined with some oatmealy richness from the lees during the 100% barrel fermentation.

‘Cra’ is a derivation from craie , which is limestone in French. The vineyard comprises 4.5 ha of vines with an average age of 25 years and planted at 7500/ha. He has improved the viticulture, ploughing the vineyard to cut the superficial roots, encouraging them to descend into the soil where they mitigate the problems of flood or drought.

It was fermented in larger 350 and 400-litre barrels, compared to the traditional 228-litre pièce, to contribute some extra weight without contributing excessive oak flavours. Outstanding.

11 Likes

There are two bottlings from this producer, I bought a few of the Bussieres Mont Sard to fill up an order. Very nearly bought this one too, however I do really like the Bonhomme Viré Clessé VV which is in the EP offer at £100/12ib and which therefore comes out a teensy bit cheaper.

3 Likes

Why … oh why must you tempt me :tired_face::tired_face::see_no_evil:!

2 Likes

Yes, with Burgundy EP and Bin Series on Friday, Germany offer next week and that delicious-sounding garnacha on the same email… it’s all too much

1 Like

Exactly my thought. Hard to resist, but since Christmas I’ve already said that about Rhone EP, a mystery case, a case of Produttori, a case of opportunistic assortments that I liked the look of for reserves including the pesky Bellavoine, some magnums of German Riesling that came up recently and we haven’t even got going on the Burgundy EP yet. There’s only so much I can hide in reserves - I need a break!

And this Community is not helping!

Jim

7 Likes

Just seen that this is from Frédéric Burrier at Beauregard whose Moulins a Vent are faves of mine :sob:

Jim

2 Likes

This is not true … is it???

5 Likes

No, @Jimmybob is just being all melodramatic :rofl: and is most likely squirreling away cases of wine in his spouses ignorance… (that’s what we all do), he may just need to ensure said spouse doesn’t know his password, either that or declare all the wine was a gift from a Nigerian prince . :wink: :joy:

8 Likes

Yes, melodramatic and self-regarding, apologies! Talk about first world problems!

There is no limit on reserves AFAIK and there are certainly many members who are testing that more effectively than me.

Jim

2 Likes