01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Burgundy for drinking now

Sadly I don’t think I’ve managed to test a statistically significant enough sample of Grand Cru to give as full an answer as I might like! :wink:

4 Likes

Well, get on it man!

4 Likes

Yeah this is why I was hesitant to just go with the one I chose seemingly at random and thought I’d ask for some views - but seeing as though it’s such a subjective point and the fact that it seems a bit pot luck I’ll just stick with the one I had and hope for the best!

i would like to get to a point (like I am with Bordeaux) to find a couple of good producers I can stick to but sounds like it’s a very expensive game to reach that level with Burgundy! (actually reminds me to get a couple of Burgundy suggestions for the ‘Intro to fine wine thread’)

1 Like

Have you read this?

And the follow up discussion!

1 Like

Yes, I have seen that before and I have a broad-ish understanding of the region - I think I just need to go out and taste, taste, taste to start seeing what I actually like. When the world is back to normal I’ll definitely go to some tastings so I can at least get an idea of what I like without buying bottles at a time.

1 Like

Domaine Sylvain Pataille, Marsannay Rosé Fleur de Pinot 2017 - Bestsellers - Popular - Offers - The Wine Society

Jancis Robinson says “Possibly the best rosé in the world…” and makes this her wine of the week today:

https://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/dom-sylvain-pataille-fleur-de-pinot-rose-marsannay

11 Likes

Thanks for the heads up - already on its way to me :slight_smile:

Still the same small number of family for Xmas but increasing number of bottles !

1 Like

Thanks for ordering!

1 Like

Based on the community feedback I would suggest Bellene and Pataille are worth starting with that won’t cripple your bank balance (too much!).

I’ve dipped my toe in with Bellene and been very happy so far and have bought Patielle EP in the last couple of campaigns (based on the positive feedback on here from people I respect) but have yet to broach.

I’m sure others on here could add a few names and then you could potentially have 5-6 producers you can have a look at and work out which of them are for you.

Your misses will be as informative as your hits and I’m sure we’ve all had our fair share of misses over the years!

3 Likes

The thing I have noticed, and other wiser heads have also, is that burgundy comes and goes.

Bordeaux is quite straightforward by comparison. It’s young and accessible for about three-ish years, then it shuts up shop for anywhere between five and twenty years depending on the chateau and vintage.

But burgundy seems to close, open, close again, wander about seeming a bit vapid before springing back to vivid life. Or none of these things. I don’t even find keeping an eagle eye on cellar tracker that reliable. It just seems to be tricky stuff.

9 Likes

This bad boy was recently uploaded to the site: https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=BU21091

2001 Mortet, Gevrey Chambertain. 9 bottles left. Critic reviews from 2004 tastings weren’t amazing but Cellartracker reviews over the last few years are very promising indeed. Could be a nice option for Christmas Day lunch.

4 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out - one bottle of this and a bottle of TWS XO Cognac ordered, that’s my Christmas present to myself sorted!

3 Likes

now out of stock. Good to see the Community playing it’s role!

1 Like

5 bottles of this newly added 2006 PC Tollot Beaut left too: https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/productdetail.aspx?section=pd&pd=BU41591

2 Likes

There’s a case of 2015 Oncle became available yesterday that I’m slightly surprised is still around.

2 Likes

Gone already

Blimey that moved quick.

Shame. It’s a lovely wine. You win some etc etc …

Appreciate the heads up tho :+1::+1:

There were two cases yesterday…

dang, I would have bought that, it is a lovely wine

2 Likes