01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Burgundy for drinking now

No need for apologies, I was kidding, you sound just like me… Torbreck, Produttori, Felton rd, Rhone EP, small waitrose order today, Bin series coming, Bellavoine, Germany incoming… oh and not forgetting Burgundy… it’s only February :frowning: :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

I will have a minor go at Burgundy, also a little Barolo, definitely Bolly mid summer at a good price, no Raspail-Ay this year - 2 x 12 2015 and 2 x 12 2016 is enough to be going on with. No Bordeaux, odd cases off the Rhone website, White Burgundy ?? and then Christmas.
That’s my plan. :+1: :dragon:

2 Likes

And just to cheer you up!!

Another good one for next year!! :+1: :dragon:

1 Like

Even worse yield in 2020 I hear, which isn’t great for prices…

I am not convinced by the exotic praise around 2020.
Pinot does not like heat or extremes. 2020 had both. There seem to be a lot of euphemisms in the HHC hyperbole. I remain to be convinced.

4 Likes

Just the 24 bottles :rofl:

5 Likes

That’s what I took from that report as well. It’s early days of course, but it sounded rather concerning for the reds.

4 Likes

ooops!!

2 Likes

That Macon-Milly has gone already, I was about to order 6! Doh!

1 Like

Yes, I just noticed that. 30-odd cases disappeared yesterday and I didn’t check my basket this morning. Maybe another batch of emails got sent out this morning…

52 posts were split to a new topic: Stock levels - should we be made aware of them?

It’s been about 50 posts since someone last mentioned Burgundy. Would it be possible for an appropriately skilled @Mentor to split this thread? One for Burgundy chat and one for issues and strategies for looking at stocks?

Thanks! :smiley:

7 Likes

never heard of it mate

14 Likes

3 Likes

Ah so this is what this thread is all about…some reporter :rofl:

agreed.

I’ve just about managed to do this with a dying tablet :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Hope that’s OK - and feel free to edit the title for the new thread :+1:

6 Likes

About 40 yrs ago through a wine merchant friend I bagged a case of declassified Bourgogne rouge from Domaine Leroy which was terrific and a step up from the reds I had been used to. A few years later I had a bottle of an aged burgundy at a ridiculous price (?£3-£5) from Oddbins that tasted of chocolate, spices and wonderfully smooth. (NB when I returned to buy more I was told that they had had so many spoilt bottles returned as faulty all stock had been withdrawn) Those two memories made me a Burgundy man although a brace of kids and a London mortgage at a time of high interest rates meant that opportunities to explore were few and far between. So fast forward twenty years to TWS membership and my first efforts to get a proper vinous education in Burgundy. It started with a half case of Dujac 2007 including a bottle of Grand Cru Clos de la Roche. Then I opened my shoulders for the 2009 EP buying a range of Jean Grivot’s, Rollin Pernand Vergelesses 1er Cru plus a few whites. The problem for me is that I read Toby’s notes and think, “ooh yes I shall have some of that” but when it gets into my glass I can’t find one half of what Toby has pointed out. The Dujac Clos de la Roche drunk in 2019 when it was probably worth £400 on its own was great : I loved the aroma, and got raspberries and red cherries but there was much I missed. The feel in the mouth was wonderful with smooth tannins and was long lasting. But £400? However much I liked it I felt I wasn’t coming anywhere near understanding what the wine had to offer. Worse still I find ageing reduces the force of pinot and I am enjoying more upfront and open pinots from the new world.

I am left with a half case of Grivot’s Vosne Romanee ( drink by 2022) and a half case of Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru (-2028). These have cost me respectively £31 and £82 per bottle excluding TWS storage. (By the way in the 2019 EP costs per bottle inc duty and vat are £69 and £223 per bottle. Surprisingly the difference in FX is negligible and increase is just market forces at pretty much 10% per annum)
I now feel that I shall be underwhelmed by the village Vosne as I have probably left it too long and I already feel defeated by the Grand Cru. A nice problem to have, but should I try and sell and buy something different or just buckle down and improve my tasting?

9 Likes

Sorry to hear you’re not enjoying Burgundy any more. Bit of a dilemma you have on your hands, so here’s my perspective (from someone who has never fallen in love with Burgundy).

Move on, sell up and spend the money on the kind of wine you are really enjoying at the moment. Everyone wins:
You - removing a source of thorny contemplation and buying some undoubtedly amazing wine
The buyer - someone who loves Burgundy enough to spend that kind of money on it.

10 Likes

Burgundy is quite a subtle wine, often one understands it a bit later in life. Even the great Hugh Johnson did not appreciate Burgundy until middle age.

I think 60-75% of Burgundy’s excitement is in the aroma and this is easily destroyed by serving at the wrong temperature and/or decanting. Burgundy has much less structure on the palate than Bordeaux or Rhone.

May I ask what temperature do you serve your red Burgundy at and do you decant it?

In the end as has been said wine is so personal that you may prefer other wines to Burgundy. You must follow your own taste. If you do not enjoy Burgundy you should sell and buy what you prefer.
It’s no crime not to enjoy Burgundy!

21 Likes