01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Burgundy Believer

I gave up on that some years ago - I think!!
Sometimes when I encounter these “odd bottles” they are like a gift from above, yes I do know that I DID buy them! DOH :blush:
I do then look them up, realise why I bought them and put them on my to drink shelf.
Not particularly scientific I will confess, but it is fun.
So this Saturday will be a 75cl bottle of Bolly, for the Wales & England games. Belly pork.
Sunday, the Loyeres after the Scottish match, probably Lamb Shank but not nailed down yet. What goes well with a red Burgundy? :+1: :dragon:

3 Likes

Guinea fowl, mushroom risotto, and any game such as rabbit, hare or pigeon. is great with red burgundy

11 Likes

On a different topic @Toby.Morrhall . I know you have been pushing for more Diam closures, in particular for burgundies. I opened a 2014 Chablis Billaud Sechets last night to celebrate the end of 2019 EP campaign and it was lovely, still very taut but wonderfully intense white fruit. The cork was a Diam 5 and my question is whether it would be possible to specify the type of Diam on the website entry for every wine that uses it, be it Diam 2, 5, 10 or even 30 - are there any wines in the range yet with Diam 30? Fevre maybe?

5 Likes

+1 on this. I’ve always assumed it to be a good indicator of how many years the producer recommends for drinking.

2 Likes

Nice one, mushroom risotto it is! :+1: :dragon:

1 Like

BBC GoodFood has a decent recipe. Hard to go wrong with GoodFood really!

1 Like

Thanks, that is always my No.1 port of call when looking for recipe advice. :dragon:

Glad it is tasting well.
Diam is the best closure for White Burgundy at the moment in my view.
In the future I hope it will be possible to specify the type of Diam a you reqest. It reguires modfication to the system so
From memory De Montille and Jadot use Diam 30 for grands crus. Jadot just for whites.

4 Likes

It is not a good indicator of drinking dates.
First, Diam corks exceed by many years the number given to the cork.
Diam 5 has only been in existence since about 2007. Diam 10 and 30 more recent.
I have a Fëvre Chablis Vaulorent 2007 and it is great condition, tasting very young, closed with a Diam 5 cork still going strong.

Secondly in some cases we have got some suppliers to bottle with Diam especially for us even though they still use natural cork for others. In the frequent cases where there is often just one bottling the SO2 levels are optimised for natural cork, sometimes as high as 40mg/l because of fear of porous corks, whereas for Diam 5 25mg/l would be sufficient.
So a Diam 5 with 40mg/l will last a very long time. A Diam 10 or 30 would cause the wine to be reductive.

19 Likes

That’s incredibly helpful - thank you.

I’ve always loved wine, but had never tasted properly aged red Burgundy until last year. I visited Noble Rot after a recommendation for their wine list, and there tasted a 2005 Beaune. Since then I’m a serious believer ! I’ve requested a lot of 2019s but will have to wait till the thirties to enjoy them. Has anyone tried this? 17.5 from JR. Expensive but seems to be one of the best available that’s got some age. A good friend and wine lover from Greece needs some belief !

https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/productdetail.aspx?section=pd&pd=BU56891

4 Likes

No, but this Chanson is still reasonably priced and everything I have had from 2012 has been delicious, though not necessarily knock your socks off sort of wine. It must be said what I have tasted has been pretty low key stuff.

4 Likes

I bought the Chanson “Clos des Mouches” 2012 for a similar price and it has been quite lovely.

1 Like

I bought this too before christmas, but unfortunately gave it to my mother in law !

2 Likes

The 2021 vintage is off to a not so good start as far as quantities will be concerned… :frowning:

4 Likes

2018 Lecheneaut burgundies now available on main list.

6 Likes

6 bottles into reserves.
I noticed that there was no tasting note for this, or any of the Lecheneaut wines released to the website today. Surely an oversight by Marketing. Maybe Toby could sort this out. Also the Cotes de Nuits Rouge had a 6 bottle limit which was not made clear on the website. :+1: :dragon:

4 Likes

out of interest - what made you select the Hautes CdN in particular?

The Vinous notes suggested that the CdN comparative to the Bourgogne was a little better, so went for it. Also that score was by Stephen Tanzer who tends to underscore wines (and a taster who I do not like), relative to Neal Martin who has a palate that very much aligns with mine.
Other than that - not sure!! :wink: :+1: :dragon:

1 Like

Maybe this one flew under the radar, it wasn’t in the Fine Wine list but then again none of the Lecheneaut wines are.

I’m still unsure what the criteria is for a wine making it onto this list.

1 Like