01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Burgundy advice

Which ones are new?

I think all of the 08’s and earlier, plus the 2010 Domaine de Bellene NsG 1er Cru and Domaine de Montille Volnay 1er Cru

With regards to reds below £75 per bottle - quite a few including a Denis Mortet 2012 and Chevillon 2014.

1 Like

I had a bottle of the 2010 Mortet 6 months or so ago and wasn’t so impressed. Chilled it down as Toby recommends and it still had no real detectable perfume which is a lot of the attraction for pinot. It was £55 so the 2012 has jumped up a fair bit, and I think 2010 and 2012 CDN are similarly well-rated vintages too.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting. This one caught my eye

Domaine Jean Grivot, Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru 2004.

Seems to be, ahem, much cheaper than other vintages of the same wine. Was 2004 a dog? Lots of positive vibes for Grivot on the community but not had one myself. Nor have I ever had a Grand Cru burgundy. Tempted by this, purely for educational purposes of course.

1 Like

the tasting notes I have read around were not screaming like “I need to splurge 70 pounds for this wine”

1 Like

It is probably below what might be considered ‘market price’, even though 2004 is not generally considered a particularly strong vintage. However, the last 2004 I had, a Jadot Gevrey Chambertin Clos St Jacques, was drinking very nicely indeed. Will this show proper ‘Grand Cru’ pedigree? Difficult to say, but I would hope it is showing at least as well as a mature premier cru from a top producer, and I have gone for a couple on that basis. Getting into buying more mature burgundy can be a little bit of a lottery, but at least from TWS you know that the provenance is impeccable, and probably second only to it having remained at the domaine

This article from Jancis on the Clos d Vougeot vineyard may also be of interest: https://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/practically-all-about-clos-de-vougeot

2 Likes

Just got an email - looks as though this is the full list of new releases - red & white:

https://www.thewinesociety.com/searchProducts.aspx?q=&hPP=15&idx=products&p=0&dFR[Lists][0]=Low-Stock%20Burgundies&is_v=1&utm_source=list&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=burgundy_small_stock_20200730&utm_content=cta_product1_b&LogValue=http://content.email.thewinesociety.com/?I6QnK8xfRbxRW7sbD4Ywp0gtYHWnNiatI&

4 Likes

I was thinking of getting some Burgundy out of reserves, it being the season. I was wondering if I should get the 2016 or 2015 Fourrier village Gevrey out. Any thoughts?

I also have some 2005s, most of which I am leaving alone, but I suppose I should get the Grivot village Vosne out, and Jadot’s Beaune Theurons, but I’m not even sure about that.

The 05 Grivot village has been drinking wonderfully for a while, but no rush I’d say. I would not touch the Fourrier for a good few years personally - if you do open one, give it a proper decant to release the dissolved CO2 - it’s just the way Fourrier vinifies.

2 Likes

Thank you, the Fourrier shake I presume. I hoped the Fourrier might not have shut down yet, I like the juiciness of young Burgundy. I think the Grivot is coming out. Not the 1er crus though.

2 Likes

I have enjoyed the 2016 Fourrier recently. Certainly wouldn’t work through my case right now but definitely worth a try. With a Fourrier shake of course!

2 Likes