01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Burgundy advice

request

Following the advice of a member who suggested you follow the producer, not the vintage in Burgundy can anyone recommend a vosne-romanee producer? They generally seem expensive so I’d like to try and buy right first time. Or is a general cotes de nuits just as good and the whole commune is overpriced? Thanks!

Looking for recommendation(s) - edited

I am not sure how immersed you already are in Burgundy, but starting with Vosne Romanee is like reading the Red Wedding chapter first in Game of Thrones not the best place in my opinion. I would go slowly and as you suggest a “generic” Cotes de Nuits Villages can (1) be very satisfying / (2) be significantly less expensive / (3) be enjoyed earlier / (4) give you an idea what it is all about.

Then again I started enjoying Rhone wines with a Chave Hermitage and then discovered the better value options, arguably works this way too.

I read this as ‘chavvy’ hermitage :grin: and imagined the sight of the local park bench in Royal Tumbridge Wells.

Hmm I think you could be correct, however maybe a compromise could be 1 bottle of Vosne and lay it down for a few years and purchase a few different CtdNts in preperation or get myself to a Burgundy tasting.

I’ve had a look at Jancis Robinson’s notes however I’m not sure this is strictly useful as what she considers a fault at that level would be my dream wine!

So any recommendations for Cotes de Nuits please?

Have a read of this written by Toby, it should give you some idea of what to do as well as the different styles from the different areas in Burgundy - much like Beajolais crus although there will always be a ‘house style’.

This is excellent, forget my reply

I wonder if @shaunk might have some advice on where to start with this, and what is available right now?

I tasted a wonderful Gevrey recently at the Newcastle and York tastings which had everything I wanted in a Burgundy and wasn’t stupidly expensive. BU55081. Page 37 of the main List. It’s soft and elegant and has what I call, the essence of pinot noir, hints of strawberry jam on hot buttered toast. I hope this isn’t too expensive but really good Burgundy doesn’t tend to be cheap. I would tend to start small and build up to a wine like Vosne-Romanee getting to know which Domaines you like and which styles. Lots of fun in store. Hope this helps.

My advice: don’t buy red burgundy. It’s very expensive - for whatever reason - and is too variable in quality.

I really enjoy Domaine Maume wines (when I can afford it!), their ‘base’ level as mentioned by Shaun is really good and if you are after more concentration and complexity they do have single vineyard wines - I would however suggest thinking why you want to go for red Burgundy, is it because its red Burgundy or is it the flavour profile?

Thanks folks.

I’m starting to believe it’s an underhand tactic from the wine society bringing Maume wines to tastings…it’s like I had no will power of my own and immediately purchased it! This is my first ‘proper’ Burgundian hence the start of this conversation :slight_smile:

@Nowt_in_my_glass
If you are set an trying out some Burgundys, why don’t you start with something like an Haute cote de nuit ?They tend to be pretty firm with a good tannic and acid structure. They do tend to mellow and develop given a few years in the bottle , so maybe a 2013 might be a good place to start.
Then maybe move along to something like a Chambolle-musigny which tend to be a little more delicate and lacy than some of the Vosne- Romanee crus.

Thanks @Leah that’s very useful. My xmas list is getting ever longer now :smiley:

Hi Nimg,
I visited Michel Gros in 2013 and 2015, he makes excellent wines. Makes a lot of good well priced Hautes cotes de Nuits all the way through to his fantastic monopole VR 1er Clos de Reas.
Jon

I purchase Red Burgundy only at the lower levels. I have tasted a number of expensive wines and done the obligatory research and the name that kept coming up was Grivot. I have purchased his straight Bourgogne from a number of vintages and found it to be pleasing. You CAN taste the class of the winemaker. I also just committed an act of heresy in doing a search on the Wine Advocate and Grivot does very well indeed. He is of course, not the only show in town, if you are really stuck you could always plump for DRC!! LoL But that might cause a cardiac infarction and you really would require a lie down and a damp flannel across your forehead.
If I were you, I would go for one of our esteemed posters advice, as I am sure that we only have your best interests at heart. Maybe try a small selection of lesser wines and see which producer grabs you.
The advice that I was given regarding Burgundy was, Producer, Producer and Producer.
A great winemaker can make a terrific wine in a so-so vintage.
A lesser winemaker can make virtual garbage in a great year.
Without naming names, there are still classed growth Bordeaux Vineyards that produce indifferent wine year on year, even though their neighbours on all sides make terrific wine.
Just get a vineyard map and they stick out like the carbuncles they are. They are not singled out by the wine trade, I think because at some point in the future they will change hands or buy in great winemaking talent and only then there will be a Eureka moment. A good example of this occurred in 1994 when a famous 2nd growth was sold on, and the quality of the wines has been on the up ever since. Mind you they did a quite wonderful 1986, but that’s another story.
If you ever wished for a brilliant example of terroir, then look no further.
It is a bigger minefield in Burgundy, where one row of vines in a great vineyard makes fabulous wine and the next…!?!
Good luck.

Grivot has not failed me yet

https://www.thewinesociety.com/resources/product_images/BU62781.jpg

Just spotted and will buy a couple of bottles for my Christmas order, no matter my previous statement.
I bought this bottle from the 2011 vintage, it took 4 hours in the decanter to transform from a good but unremarkable wine to something glorious. Now I accept that I might have been fortunate and caught the wine at it’s apogee! But it really WAS THAT good, that I am prepared have a go. “4 hours in a decanter”, well unlike in my spotty youth; I have learned the value of patience.
This is a property where it is not easy to find tasting notes but the 2014 Red Burgundy seems to have an equivalence with 2011 and Toby bought it, he would not have unless he reckoned that it was halfway decent.
At the end of the day it delivered for me before, so I’ll take a punt on it!!
My problem now, is how I pare down on my Christmas order to make room for this one.

This one?

Yes, it is.
Thanks.
Now back to Minnesota v Cleveland!!

funnily enough I’m watching that too - one or two good moments

I’m keen to learn about Burgundy (at the lower price end!) so will give this one a whirl. Always very grateful for tips like this.