01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Build your own spiral wine cellar

diy
cellar

I always liked the idea of my own wine cellar, partially the spiral design as they are compact with large capacity and enhance the value of the house. However the £20,000 or so price tag for having one installed felt excessive, you could buy a lot of wine for that.

Building a new extension for the house presented an ideal opportunity to build my own as the hole could be dug out at the same time as the foundations although there is no reason this could not be done in an existing room but it would involve a bit more physical work.

Studying the design of the commercially available wine cellars, I could see there was nothing particularly complicated about them but adaptions would have to be made as I did not have pre cast wine bins and steps to use.

I started by bolting together some 6mm ply in a circle (a double layer is best for strength) using timber to form spokes for additional support. This was then lowered onto the 225mm thick reinforced concrete floor. A252 mesh was formed into a circle made to sit between the earth hole and the plywood, this gap needs to be 150mm as that is the required wall thickness. Sulphate resisting cement is then poured into the gap to form the outer wall, I mixed my own. When set, the plywood circle can be unbolted and collapsed to aid removal.

To make the cellar waterproof, I had a pond liner made to the exact dimension of the hole and dropped this in with some landscape fabric on top for protection. Another circle of A252 mesh and reusing the plywood circle, which had to be made smaller to achieve another wall and floor of concrete 125mm thick, thus the liner was sandwiched between the two walls. For additional strength, I drilled eight 12mm holes through the liner and into the outer concrete wall at the top to fit protruding stainless steel rods so the two walls would be connected together. This was to ensure no movement between the two walls took place when the water table rose in winter.

Next was to fit it out, first I rendered the walls to get a smooth finish and then built the steps using concrete blocks capped with oak treads. The wine bins were constructed using 12mm and 19mm plywood then the top capped off with a 28mm birch ply and concrete floor screed.

Two 50mm pipes were installed, both entering the cellar from the top and one then dropping to the bottom running to the outside finishing at different heights allowing for a circulation of air.

A trap door was constructed using a double sheet of 25mm ply with the matching floor boards on top opened with a linear actuator. Spotlights and under tread strip lights for a finishing touch.

The end result was a wine cellar with a capacity for 750 bottles, cost in materials a total of £2159. I did all the work myself and it did take quite a few hours but the end result was well worth it.

![DSCF4914|666x500] (upload://AsIUPUOKVYmuHMnkBGdGTBNdPda.jpeg)

Amazing. Well done! If I didn’t struggle to put up shelves straight I might be tempted to try it myself :laughing:

That’s impressive and interesting.

May I ask if you considered excavating a more conventional cellar - larger and rectangular? I always thought the key advantage of the spiral shape was the ability to drop in a pre-fabbed unit, but maybe I am missing something? Perhaps the size is critical in the decision?

You sir, are a legend.

Chapeau!

Brilliant job and a great finish!!

I am in awe of this :clap:

So when you say “quite a few hours”, just how “quite” is “quite”?

Very impressive - both the construction and the understatement.

Chris you are my new hero :heart_eyes::wine_glass::champagne::champagne:

Are you married ??? :rofl::rofl:

Very impressive and thought provoking! Wondering if my DIY skills are up to the job and what excuse I could come up with for having to dig a large hole in the back room… Don’t really think “I need to store more wine” will be acceptable… :wink:

This is probably the best thing I’ve seen on this community. Rather inspiring

How about …” will add tremendous value to the property” ?

Astonishing achievement. Bravo.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

You are a wine cellar hero !

My spiral cellar was installed in 4 days by three brilliant polish guys…they had precast everything and did it week-on-week…so hats off to you The steps you took are virtually identical to those of the “genuine” article - although they only pour one ring of concrete (reinforced of course) but they do use a damp-proof membrane and “fabric”.

My house has no foundations due to its age and the concrete ring in the middle of the house certainly helps with the buildings structural soundness - which was difficult to explain to non-engineering neighbours !

If I were installing another cellar I would go for the more conventional, rectangular cellar - but there is something amazing about a spiral!

Well done !

#SitsDownWithGlassOfWineInAmazement

sadly not - two estate agents shared the same view with mine “adds no value but makes it more saleable”

and one of the estate agents is a genuinely really nice, honest bloke :rofl:

Smashed it! :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Yes but she doesn’t need to know that :rofl::rofl:

That’s awesome :smiley: also cheaper than getting a wine fridge of the same sort of capacity!

Very well done, I did enquire about digging out a cellar at my last property, though I didn’t need to do it in the end as I had a partially below ground outbuilding
I was quoted for a new build ie incorporated into a new house during construction 2k per sq mt, the cost dropped on a larger cellar, and if the digger side could be arranged separately a 6x6 worked out at around £3500 so your DIY saved a lot of money and is roughly in line with what I discovered, but depending on constraints why did you go for a circular one as a square one is cheaper because it can be bricked and tanked more cheaply and is easier, I am not questioning your wonderful result but just a couple of questions about the build.

Wow :heart_eyes: This is so amazing!