01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Bucket list wine?

So you can choose one bottle of any wine (one white and one red) to drink now, irrespective of price.

What would they be?

Please note the rules of engagement. One white and one red.

I’ll kick off with a bottle of Clos Ste-Hune Riesling. I love riesling and that is my bucket list riesling to try.

For the red I have been lucky enough to try a few very good bottles of Bordeaux, although never as extravagant as a first growth. So I’d love to try a really special bottle of something from somewhere else and I thought I’d venture outside of France and go for a bottle of Pingus.

Now where’s my lottery ticket?

Red: anything by Romanee Conti really
White: no idea. But probably an equally fantastical burgundy.

A German 1976 TBA for the white.

I think we had a similar thread a while ago, and I found it so difficult to choose!! But here’s my go (no doubt different to my previous choices! :grin:)
White - Domaine Zind-Humbrecht, Clos Jesbal Pinot Gris 2002… Read about it ages ago and it sounded like it would (cliche alert!) tick all my boxes…
Red- well, would be lovely to give the coveted reds of Burgundy a go - but I’ll stick to something a bit more achievable in this life, and will go for Niepoort Batuta - because I admire the man and I just love Portuguese reds…
Chin chin :clinking_glasses:

Haut Briton Blanc 2000 (realistic) and anything from Henri Jayer for the red (unrealistic) Roumier Amoreuses PC 2005

For the red I would like to have Opus One, a Napa Valley Bordeaux blend by Mondavi/Rothschild. I had the good fortune to taste the 1989 alongside the same vintage of Mouton Rothschild and the Opus One won. Possibly because it was more ready to drink. Anyway I would like to taste it again.

For the white I am with @SPmember voting for a 1976 German TBA. I am going to more specific and want a Mosel, probably the Doktor.

Red: Mouton Rothschild 1945 - the historical connection of a vintage grown in the final year of WW2 sets it apart.

White: 1988 Krug Clos du Mesnil - one of the finest champagne’s from my birth year.

I am fortunate enough during my formative Riesling years to have drunk a '76 TBA it was a Serriger Vogelsang from the State Domain difficult to describe such exotic wonderfullness now but Michael Broadbent describes in his Great Vintage Wine Book thus…syrupy, lovely richness, and racy acidity. five stars.
It was consumed in '96 when we moved house and had years of life left.

All I can remember is even then it was not cheap but not stratospheric as today for TBAs , and I always regretted with hindsight that I did not buy any '71 TBAs as that is still my greatest Riesling vintage.

And I was lucky enough to do a German wine week at Kloster Eberbach in 1981, when the 76s and 75s were still found frequently. We all knew they were good, but didn’t realise how exceptional they were.

Quick question: what’s a TBA?

Trockenbeerenauslese like this:

or this:

Gotcha - thanks @NickFoster :ok_hand:

Austrian examples are quite a lot cheaper, if not cheap.

This description gives a flavour of what goes into producing a TBA, I can remember a winemaker describing how many times they went over the vines picking the grapes sometimes just taking one grape from a bunch, it is this labour intensity and the very small amount of wine that is subsequently made that makes them rare and expensive, some years virtually no TBAs are made .

Trockenbeerenauslese: the pinnacle of German quality wine. TBA’s are very rare vinous creatures only made in exceptional vintages. Intensely concentrated, lusciously sweet, and incredibly complex, they are labor-intensive to produce and accordingly very expensive. A winemaker in the Mosel once told me that it takes a person 8-10 hours a day to pick enough single, moldy, botrytis-infected grapes to make a 750ml bottle of BA and a 375ml bottle of TBA. One last point that needs to be addressed: why does the word “trocken,” as in the term for dry, appear in the name of the sweetest wine? Simple answer: the fruit is so raisinated from botrytis that there is little, if any, juice in the grapes to press.

Thanks very much for the info - must be spectacular otherwise it certainly wouldn’t be worth the effort! Definitely worthy of the bucket list.

My votes have been covered in the first two posts:

Clos St Hune (described to me by one sommelier as the greatest white he’d ever tasted) and a DRC! Both would be right up my street

Close second on the white would be a Montrachet, possibly Leflaive but I wouldn’t be picky

Some great suggestions so far!

For White easy, Puligny Montrachet, Olivier Leflaive. Magnificent.

Red, not anywhere as easy. Good Claret in a good year, Pauliac, St Julien or St Emilion. Sheer nectar.

Hermitage? Again magnificent. Chateauneuf? Good Malbec with a good Ribeye?

I’ll need to retry them all!

Stu

Obviously these things need to be taken with a pinch of salt, but nevertheless… here is an article from last year about the 10 most expensive wines… 7 Burgundy and 3 TBA… TBA is truly the most expensive wine nobody has heard of… According to my Cellartracker I have a bottle to look forward to, less dear than those on the list might I say.

White would probably be an Egon Muller Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Riesling Trockenbeerenauslese.

Red would probably be a DRC Burgundy.

I can’t ever imagine having enough money to justify buying either.

Chateau Mouton Rothschild 1947 (after a dry martini, shaken, not stirred).
Chateau d’Yquem 1811.
Father in Law cleared out his parent’s garage 20years ago and found some old bottles in a rack. Some of them he kept, and one he presented to me saying, “Not sure this is going to be any good, should I just chuck it out?”
It was coated in dust, was a white that was now golden with many floaters and far from appetising to look at. Even after cleaning the bottle, the label was difficult to read, but the large “Y” of d’Yquem was quite visible. A 1955 that after resting, cooling and opening was heavenly.