01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Broken bottles

Evening all

Just opening a bottle of red to breathe slightly before pouring, and taking the foil off I noticed the bottle was chipped {foolishly no photo with the cork in…]

Now, I managed to get the cork out okay, and assumed there was no glass in there (as the cork was in!) but then my wife questioned whether it chipped putting the cork in.

I bow to your better knowledge as to what to do. Assume it’s okay? Filter it somehow? Be careful?

It’s a bottle of https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/HistoricProductDetail.aspx?pd=RH48161 for reference

Too good to waste. :open_mouth:
A coffee filter paper should do the trick.
Mind you, a few glass shards :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: never hurt anyone!! :rofl: :wink: :dragon:

1 Like

Don’t try this at home!

3 Likes

I will second that!! :dragon:

1 Like

yeah, I think I will. Filter paper over the decanter tonight I think

thanks!

With things like this, I never know whether I’m being overly paranoid, or vaguely sensible…

6 Likes

I had a first for me earlier this year when opening a bottle of vintage port with a waiter’s friend corkscrew. The cork was part out when suddenly the bottle neck gave way. Some big chunks of glass dropped to the ground and shards fell into the bottle. I had a decanting funnel with metal gauze and added a fine muslin and it all worked out ok. The gauze/muslin collected a lot of tiny shards but fortunately everyone had had a few glasses of other things by then and it was quite dark so no one was that fazed by drinking it. I certainly wasn’t going to pour it down the sink :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I always use a waiter’s friend - and did take extra care with this tonight. Very slowly, tight grip etc

Fortunately nothing in the filter. And the wine is slipping down nicely.

4 Likes

I don’t think you can be overly paranoid about things like that. Sounds sensible to me.

3 Likes

Just drink it!

Some good advice about filtering if you have any doubts, but I’m sure you will be ok and do what you think is appropriate. My main reason for replying was your comment about allowing the wine to ‘breathe’ and it depends on what people want to achieve of course. Maybe just to let a little sulphur and bottle ‘funk’ blow off, then fine but if it is to let the wine develop with exposure to oxygen, then maybe the following will be of interest for those new to the hobby!

Most commentators would suggest that so little surface area is exposed to the air when you just pop the cork that even 2 or 3 hours will make little difference. On the other hand, decanting will allow the wine to gain a good amount of exposure to oxygen, thus making a significant difference, depending on how long you leave it for. Certainly my experience bears this out. Just food for thought and interested in other people’s experiences and expertise in this area. Some wines I will double decant (out into a decanter or jug, and back into the rinsed bottle if sediment is an issue). This treatment is reserved mostly for big dogs like Penfolds Shiraz, and is something they recommend (and who am I to argue with the folks who make it!).

Anyway, enjoy your bottle if it hasn’t disappeared already!

1 Like

I’ve got a cheap waiters friend and I always seem to have this problem with it. Not sure if the problem lies with it or my technique. I have been meaning to get a really decent double hinged one, preferably with a rough toothed blade for cutting the foil.

For now I’ll stick to my winged corkscrew.

I can recommend a Murano. Been using mine for years!

2 Likes

The double lever makes all the difference, allowing you to pull the cork vertically.

The Murano looks good, but there are plenty similar ones, such as this at £3.98

I’ve found in past that plastic ‘corks’ strip off the Teflon from the screw, so when I find the evil thing hiding under a capsule I revert to a corkscrew with an uncoated screw.

2 Likes