01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Brexit Planning

In todays Guardian there is an article entitled “Fruit, vegetables and wine will be scarce and costly under no-deal Brexit, warn retailers”

It goes onto say

“It came as the Wine and Spirit Trade Association (WSTA) criticised the government for “reneging” on plans for a nine-month suspension of paperwork on imports on wine, the UK’s most popular alcoholic drink, if no deal is reached with Brussels. “

“In an open letter to the Brexit ministers Michael Gove and Stephen Barclay, the WSTA said the added administrative burden on imports would force up the price of a bottle of wine by 10p, reduce choice and cost the thriving UK wine industry £70m. “

Reading that letter it seems quite a serious consequence for the wine trade in the uk. Not only is our supply of wine from the eu at risk but the position of the trading side of the wine industry in the uk too.
I hope sense can prevail.

Some hope of sense prevailing :frowning:

2 Likes

Yes, indeed the possibility of a Brexit dividend!

As the EU deal has been vetoed by Austria, so the EU has voted to keep tariffs.

Every cloud …

No silver lining in this one!

4 Likes

Yep! Just dark dark clouds :cloud_with_lightning:

4 Likes

Do we all break into song at this point
Maybe “the sun will come out tomorrow”
Or
“Bluebirds”
Seems like the moment😂

Sorry that’s as on the fence as l can get😁

1 Like

Brexit implications for the UK wine trade.

4 Likes

Well, it’s to be hoped that half of that doesn’t happen, but I guess it’s still a concern for the many (smallish) wine importers in the UK. It would be interesting to know what TWS view is as time moves on and we get into Autumn. I would hope otherwise, but it seems to me that for us wine drinkers, there’s going to be some extra costs. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Going to be extra costs for quite a few things I think. All very stupid and avoidable.

8 Likes

It’s very interesting how all these issues will be settled by the end of the year. This is just wine there’s a whole shed load of other issues. Glad I’m just poking fun for e sidelines.
Of course it is the simplest and most straight forward deal in the world. So no need to worry.

3 Likes

It’ll be a walk in the park, no doubt.

3 Likes

They won’t be, or only in a very bad way, as I’m sure you are inferring…however it will all be Johnny Foreigner’s fault of course.

4 Likes

I fear it’s not just wine drinkers. I think you can apply many of those sorts of regulations and processes to other food and drink items crossing from the EU…

Then similar to other non-food/drink manufactured goods…

In terms of the overall trade picture between the UK and Europe, the wine trade is tiny.

See https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851

“The EU, taken as a whole is the UK’s largest trading partner. In 2018, UK exports to the EU were £291 billion (45% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £357 billion (53% of all UK imports).

And for wine…

See https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/products-eurostat-news/-/EDN-20191121-1?fbclid=IwAR0oodL2d3kEMmXehTUloDZEF5_s3omN1EahZTOUeCfl9ppilJNu6J5cDA8

Top importer: The United Kingdom

Looking at the import flows, the EU Member States imported a total of €13.4 bn of wine in 2018. Only 20% of this came from non-EU countries

4 Likes

What worries me is that if, in the long term, things get worse economically - as Little England might not be quite so mighty as it likes to think of itself - opinion will just continue to veer further and further to the right.

Personally, I find it a struggle to tolerate the self-serving privileged oafs running the country, but god knows what will happen if we end up with food shortages, further economic squeeze on those who already don’t have much and so on… It really does keep me up at night, and I’m usually an optimist :grimacing:

13 Likes

I think politicians will do what they always do in that situation, and lay the blame somewhere else, most likely at the door of the EU. My biggest fear is that when countries in Europe start blaming each other for their problems it never ends well.

3 Likes

You are so right. Which is why being part of a union is so much better (and safer) than standing alone, especially in a world already so polarised, globalised and rife in abuse of free market economics.

I can see the attractiveness of a notion that we want to go back to ‘ruling/deciding for ourselves’ - but what does it really mean in world that is truly controlled by giant corporations, including main stream media which paints the picture it wants to paint in order to maintain a dubious status quo…? Hope used to spring eternal, but it’s not the case anymore for me.

6 Likes

I’m worried that we British wine lovers have already seen the best of it, in terms of available range and price. With trade likely to have additional costs maybe our lot will be worse.
On a general point. I hope the closing in of the nation to the outside, which seems at least one train of thought through the Brexit mindset, won’t be the final outcome. There are other ways in which the National mindset could be directed. i.e. a more open and wider world focus.

2 Likes

This assumes that many are capable of more than one train of thought…unlikely I fear.

1 Like