01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Brexit Planning

A person living in Northern Ireland could bring as much wine as he wanted on the car ferry from Cherbourg to Rosslare. It would help if an Citizen of the Irish Republic . Any one born in Northern Ireland can be a dual citizen of UK and Ireland.

1 Like

Risk is part of all our lives. Although that does not mean we have to take every risk that comes along. Putting aside that decision making process the next step is jumping off the cliff. With Brexit after years of prevarication we have decided to jump. That is the easy part, the difficulty is in landing. Celebrating and toasting the jump phase is misguided.

5 Likes

Let’s not put lipstick on a pig.

The ultimate pipe dream is that this notion of sovereignty doesn’t come at a huge cost. The minute we start diverging (on standards, incentives and regulations), the principle of “level-playing field” kicks-in and that’s when you start seeing how expensive this will turn out to be.

And WTO terms are even worse, in terms of how shackled you are.

4 Likes

Ordinary voters only have sovereignty on Election days. The rest of the time the only persons to exercise sovereinty are the Prime minister and Her/His ministers and to a lesser ddegree memberof parliament.

My comments were in the context of the country, @BENEDICTNASH. I don’t even have sovereignty over my own household, which is ruled by a very powerful trio of women.

8 Likes

I am sceptical regarding the value of British Sovereignty and also sceptical regarding the durability of the European political system. I agree that the economic consequences of Brexit is a serious risk, whilst the benefits remain intangible. But that is the future.

2 Likes

That is the future as long as you have an 80-strong parliament majority, I would say.

1 Like

The notion of any nation exercising absolute sovereignty in the 21st century is for the birds.

Every negotiation with every nation we now undertake will require either pooling and/or compromising on the notion of sovereignty.

A good case in point is the Japanese trade deal (and it isn’t a ‘deal’ in any sense, it is a continuity agreement). They have effectively pinned us to EU standards on goods, because the reality of trading with a group of nations half way across the world whilst having one operating to a slightly different set of standards is unworkable in our modern mega-logistics dominated world.

So thats us having to follow EU standards not just with the EU, but with other countries outside the EU because it suits them (not us). And we have little or no input into that process. Its almost as if Brexiters minds haven’t quite got up to speed with the practicalities of the modern world.

14 Likes

Are the key words here.

3 Likes

What do you mean by the Country? England, the UK. At any level sovereighty is limited.

And that is exactly my point. Selling Brexit as a means to regain “sovereignity” was and is a naive pipe dream, given all the conditions our “country” will need to meet as it enters its various trade and/or continuation agreements, such as the one done in Japan.

Apologies if this point was not made clear initially.

4 Likes

I agree with you. However i suspect that the people who in parliament who advocated Brexit were those who wanted to control the UK . So Sovereignty is by them and those in the state and business who want more control over the rest of us.

3 Likes

Good to see that the Society feels able, in the Annual Report, to be honest about problems caused by Brexit.

2 Likes