01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Boxler 3-vintage vertical case

How much!!!

3 Likes

Please see my post here

1 Like

Rare for TWS to be beaten on price but all of those wines (16, 17, 18) are available (slightly) cheaper elsewhere so I wouldn’t feel too heartbroken to miss out!

1 Like

I know what you mean. I was pretty surprised, and immediately cancelled any purchasing plans.

Dragging up an old discussion from a while ago, I think that comes down to who is the UK agent for any particular producer (as I understand it).

There a are a fair few wines that I buy - generally from smaller production runs - that are no cheaper and sometimes more expensive from TWS…but, and this goes to the heart of the issue, they can be bought in any combination of singles, DP and delivered within a couple of days. That tends to beat most (not all) comers (L&W have an extra charge that has to be factored in to their very similar service).

1 Like

Makes sense - worth saying that I don’t think price is the only factor to consider, especially when differences are marginal, but it’s certainly the biggest one for me presuming I want the wine delivered to me immediately rather than stored (though that is often not the case).

What’s the extra charge from L&W you’re referring to?

1 Like

I hadn’t realised this topic had already been covered. I’m just staggered at the nigh on £50 a pop prices. Incredible!

1 Like

Top producer, small production, sought after Grand Cru. Given all that, is it really a surprise that it could cost £50/bottle? There’s plenty of wine from elsewhere that retails for far more.

5 Likes

Yes it’s already long forgotten but my point was about sending a mail shot and responding promptly to it; only to find it’s sold out already. A virtual £150 saved, however. It’s not as if I don’t have enough wine as it is…

1 Like

It’s saying due in tomorrow

3 Likes

I guess that’s the beauty of the range of Wine Society members. I’d never fork out £150 for 3 bottles of wine from Alsace (actually unlikely to fork out £150 on 3 bottles of anything, but certainly not Alsace), but plenty of others would.

I think Robert explains how it gets to that kind of price, I’m just glad that people are able to take their pleasures from all sorts of wine from all parts of the world so the price of wine that I enjoy isn’t inflated further.

6 Likes

No longer out of stock and due in tomorrow. FWIW, I echo the sentiments of @robertd and only wish I could afford to indulge.

Their generic wines, although expensive, are amongst the best Alsace wines I’ve ever had the pleasure to try and more than worth the price of entry. No doubt their GC wines are on another level entirely, the micro taste I had of their 2013 Sommerberg Pinot Gris from a showroom enomatic, most certainly was.

It was an unforgettable experience and I’d have been happy to spend £49 on it if my finances allowed. Especially taking into account yields and how labour intensive steep hillside GC vineyards are to work. Bordeaux and Burgundy vignerons have it easy in comparison !

Edit - @Maryc and @Brocklehurstj, seems like you beat me in posting !

6 Likes

Delivery :smiley:

I would agree. Their “basic” Pinot Blanc for example is fantastic, as is their Gewurtztraminer. I would love to try their GC level wines but this price (while not a surprise) is beyond my budget. Glad TWS are still stocking them though.

2 Likes

Guys, i believe you can add the 16, 17 and 18 separately to make your own case.
Just £1 more at £149

1 Like

I had a few bottles of the 2010 GC Pinot Gris which was excellent but just not my favourite style (and I think a wine needs to be a favourite to justify that sort of price).

By contrast, Boxler’s GC Sommerberg Riesling is a thing of beauty and I’ve found nothing quite like it. That’s how you can find yourself buying 12 and popping them in reserves to spread over several years as a reliable treat.

4 Likes

I bought a couple of bottles of the 2016 from L&W for about £45 and that was a couple of years ago at least, so the prices are not out of line. Also got the Sommerberg Riesling.

2 Likes

I just got some 2016 from L&W for the same price. I’m not familiar with this wine so got 2 bottles to try

Interesting thread. It could be extended to offers in general… The main takeaways are:

(1) There’s no obligation to buy
(2) You can always go elsewhere for the same product / vintage combination, if you can find it
(3) Lowest prices are not guaranteed, but there’s no gauging
(4) It’s first come, first serve when it comes to stock.
(5) There’s no inherited rights based on previous spend or other privilege-acquisition schemes.

Works for me.

5 Likes

The complaint is that some members get to hear of an offer long before others.

It’s one of the problems associated with an increasing membership.

1 Like