01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Bordeaux by (High Speed) Train

france

I’ve only been to Bordeaux a couple of times, and had rather awful experiences at the airport (or ‘shed’ if you are travelling with any of the budget airlines), so this actually sounds rather appealing - a 2 hour train journey from Paris instead.

Not the best travel article writing, but it does capture some of the attractions of visiting a modern wine destination such as Bordeaux that offers plenty of food, luxury hotels, bars & attractions and not just wine.

It also makes me wonder what the weight (or case) limit is for the train journey home?! Anybody know?

Is anyone planning on heading to Bordeaux this summer?

Given that there is no direct flight from Leeds Bradford to Bordeaux, the rail journey to Bordeaux by high speed train makes a lot of sense to Yorkshire members…

I’m trying to persuade the girlfriend to embark on a wine voyage - Either Bordeaux, Beaune, Piedmont or the Rhein (as she loves German Riesling). My preference would be for Bordeaux as I reckon that it is far more set for wine tourism and the reds are more to my taste.

I think the clincher will be the transport though as i’m also local to Leeds/Bradford.

Has anyone been to Bordeaux on their jollies before? Any recommendations for Chateau that impressed or had something unique? I’ve been devouring this guide at lunch

Weirdly enough I booked a trip to Bordeaux off the back of reading that article earlier in the week! I was going to go via train but found they had a direct flight from Birmingham so have just gone for that - will be going in late October for a long weekend.

So far I’ve just booked a wine tour around Medoc & Graves and another one that goes round St Emilion but it’s all looking good so far!

Hello everyone!

I’ve been meaning to book a trip to Bordeaux ever since the amazing wine museum La Cité du Vin opened last year. I’ve been to Bordeaux before and loved it, but this is reason enough to return!

Thanks for that Winerist article @Nowt_in_my_glass - some good recommendations there. It’s also worth noting we’ve just launched a Vineyard Visits guide on the website, which includes a list of Bordeaux chateaux which we know welcome members. I really enjoyed Chateau Lynch-Bages when I visited, as well as the beautiful Chateau Langoa/Leoville Barton.

@MetalheadWino Out of interest, do you mind sharing who you booked your tour with? Might be good for my next trip!

Anyone have any reasonable-but-not-too-fancy hotel and restaurant recommendations?

No problem at all!

I’m doing a day tour to Graves & Medoc with Bordovino (http://www.bordovino.com/two-wine-regions-witin-a-day-graves-and-medoc) and also heading to St Emilion with a tour i found on Viator (https://www.viator.com/tours/Bordeaux/Bordeaux-Super-Saver-Small-Group-Wine-Tasting-and-Lunch-plus-St-Emilion-Wine-Tour/d468-5617TASTINGSTEMILION)

Enjoy your next trip there :slight_smile:

Thanks @MetalheadWino! :smile:
Those tours look pretty awesome… I’m now seriously considering booking a trip!

I am definitely bookmarking this post for next year - Let us know @laura and @MetalheadWino what you think of your tours! :slight_smile:

Haven’t been to Bordeaux yet (apart from driving to the airport to drop off some friends - not much wine there!). But recently returned from right bank Bordeaux, where we stayed in an old winemakers house on a vineyard near st emilion. I would definitely recommend visiting st emilion town for half a day if you go to Bordeaux, it’s very small, easy to walk everywhere - but very pretty and with good restaurants and wine shops. There are a lot of wine shops! It’s a bit touristy, but if you go mid week, slightly off season, it’s probably not too bad. We stayed near there for a week in July and Sunday was very crowded, but on Wednesday morning it was much quieter. Lots of good vineyard/winery visits to do round there too, and close to pomerol.

Also stayed in an apartment in beaune last year which was really good also. It’s another small city, probably around the size of Harrogate, somewhere like that. Good wine shops and restaurants again, probably slightly fewer than st emilion. The best thing about burgundy for me was how close everything on the Côte d’Or is. Beaune is pretty much in the centre, so if you have a car you can go north to cote de nuits one day, and south to the Côte de beaune another day. There’s a designated wine route which takes you through all the key villages. The highlight for me was a lunch at domaine Leflaive in puligny Montrachet, which included a tour of the winery with Olivier leflaive himself, who is really interesting and entertaining.

Culturally speaking I much preferred St. Emilion to Bordeaux. SMall producers with approachable wines in contrast to prestige aristocratic estates with wines coming to maturity beyond my life span.

You can always just pitch up at many places and do you’re own thing. One year we were with friends experiencing the Duras area and St Emillion. We followed the local trail, tasted many offerings whilst loading the boot along the way, as well as accepting many other offerings the local farms/vineyards had to offer. Chocolate coated prunes being a notable revelation.
We ended up going down a rather fancy looking drive and negotiated a very formal tasting at an impressive outfit called Angelus where we enjoyed a flight of their vintages free of any charge. They recommended we bought their wine in London as the best value source. I don’t think I could afford Angelus now, and I’m not sure if it is as easy to get into.

Bordeaux 2017 vintage - Travels in wine