01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Books for children

Definitely a visual learner. I copied things out repeatedly and used lots of home made acronyms, particularly in FE.

Sorry this is all very lovely but shouldn’t the threads on this community have at least a passing nod to food and/or wine. Am I the only one…? (shaking head in disbelief and the expectation of being made a pariah).

2 Likes

Not really. The sports ones aren’t exactly about wine and/or food, neither are the general book ones (though there is a thread about wine-related books too). The home schooling thread back in them days had nothing to do with wine (other than wanting to consume it at 11am), neither is ‘how does your garden grow’… I could go on!

Mute it, if disbelief shakes you to the core :wink:

4 Likes

4 Likes

Have a look at the landy/fender series of books by Veronica Lamond. You’ll have to do the noises yourself!

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation! Will take a look at these, they do look nice indeed

This is the only thing I could find that bridges the gap with the world of wine:

As the parent of a 17 month year old I’m still at the Poppy and Sam and Spot the Dog stage of things (broadly speaking anything with flaps gets the seal of approval - not that there’s anything wrong with that!) but am taking notes from this thread for the next few years. I particularly like the idea of the science books, though as an arts graduate I’m slightly disappointed there isn’t a non-STEM alternative. Literary Theory for toddlers maybe, or Lacanian Psychoanalysis for the under 5s…

7 Likes

There’s always this:

We’re Going On A Bar Hunt: A Parody by Emlyn Rees | WHSmith

4 Likes

The Wind in the Willows still takes the accolades as a great children’s book.

2 Likes

Twin #2 loved this:

https://uk.bookshop.org/books/write-your-own-story-book/9781409523352

2 Likes

Lots of books by Babette Cole, but our children particularly loved Mummy Laid An Egg and Dr Dog. They make most adults laugh out loud, too. We also spent many hours reading and re-reading Dr Seuss - at one point I could recite Fox In Socks by heart without making any mistakes. Perhaps my greatest achievement…

7 Likes

5 Likes

For artwork: The Mousehole Cat, Antonia Barber, illustrator Nicola Bayley. Lovely story as well.

For when the time comes. Counting Creatures, Julia Donaldson.

Kemosha of the Carribean, Alex Wheatle 12+. In the Times today. Good story about slavery. Could lead to further discussion in the family?

Blimey, you’ve just described this perfectly…

…which, for me at least, was a beautifully written and illustrated book that adults can also enjoy. And, for once these days, enjoyed without any eye strain either thanks to being printed in large font !

That would apply here too. I still have my childhood copy. It’s my oldest personal possession and of great sentimental value…

…the price on the back cover, 5s=25p, is something I’d rather not be reminded of though !

6 Likes

Dr Jess Wade is a brilliant scientist and an alumna of my girl’s school. She wrote this fabulously illustrated book last year and it is a hit at home. I’ve been recommending it to pretty much everyone that crosses my path since then, child or adult.

https://www.walker.co.uk/Nano-The-Spectacular-Science-of-the-Very-Very-Small-9781406384925.aspx

4 Likes