01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Books for children

I found these good resources. Hit a lot of the KS2 curriculum. If in doubt buy books is my motto present wise.
The story orchestra series, Katy Flint/Jessica Courtney Tickle.
Once upon a tune. Stories from the Orchestra. James Mayhew.
Katie series by James Mayhew. (Art and geog the 10 bundle set is good value)
Flip flap series by Alex Scheffler. 8 bundle set good value

3 Likes

Another one I like home schooling wise is to copy clip art etc onto watercolour paper. Buy the paint pads and brushes and let them loose. Watercolours are fairly machine washable!

1 Like

Papier Mache, watered down pva glue and balloons is good fun. Bit messy though. Can make dinosaurs. Kitchen towel/toilet roll centres for legs and tails etc.

Updated mouse and mole series by Joyce Dunbar and James Mayhew are good. Beautiful illustrations, plenty to talk about at the end of the story. Orchard Aesop Fables by Michael morpurgo are for the older ones and similar for discussing the moral. Dreams for our daughters by Ruth Doyle is beautiful.

Mother and daughter dress up dolls/fashion from long ago, Gracie Swan, Felicity French.
Thinking of your current predicament Leah and am a passionate believer in kids reading.
Maybe gone a bit OCD on this thread.

A street through time: A 12 000 year journey along the same street. DK.
Discuss what’s changed and what has remained the same. Sorry I’m off on one again. Enough damm it!

Oh yes, the flip-flap books are great for early readers.

Kay’s Anatomy by Adam Kay is brilliant. The Boy must have read it a dozen times by now. Really informative of course, but also full of the kind of stuff kids really want to know, like is it okay to eat your bogies, things like that.

7 Likes

Massive nerd that I am, the last books I bought my niece are a few of the “Baby loves…” science series by Ruth Spiro. Apparently the thermodynamics one is her favourite. She doesn’t quite get the aerospace engineering one as she’s never actually seen a plane.

I also like Each Peach Pear Plum.

9 Likes

My kids loved that book!

3 Likes

While reading it to Manon over Facetime, I discovered that I don’t need a copy as I still remember it by heart from when I was a small person.

5 Likes

I grew up obsessed with Swedish children’s literature. There is something honest and unpatronising about it (just like the people), and they don’t spare children the less pretty side of life. To me they also seem to convey deep wisdom, but economically.

So anything by Astrid Lindgren, but particularly Ronja the Robber’s Daughter, The Brothers Lionheart, Mio, my Son and The Children of Noisy Village. Obviously any Pippi book too! :grin:

Tove Jansson* is another favourite (for her adult books as much as for her children’s stuff), and all of her Moomin books are fantastic. Wise, warm and deep… I never tire of them. My favourite of the Moomin series has got to be Moominland Midwinter, though - it’s a perfect little book about finding oneself in an unfamiliar territory, with the world as you know it completely different, and how you might go about managing the strangeness.

Another great Scandinavian one - and a classic - is The Wonderful Adventures of Nils, by Selma Lagerlöf. Highly recommended!

My other favourite non-Anglo Saxon children’s book author is the awesome Erich Kästner. I read all his books (in Hebrew) as a child and then went to find the English translations when I was older. Particularly wonderful are The Flying Classroom, Emil and the Detectives and Lottie and Lisa.

• Tove is a Finn, actually, but of the minority Swedish-speaking Finns, so her books are written in Swedish, rather than Finnish.
12 Likes

Love flip flap books, like @Herbster said they’re perfect for smaller children as more interactive!
There’s a couple of flip flap books that my little one loves (and so do I!) such as Look Inside An Airport, The Tickle Book, When I Grow Up… they’re quite nice and enjoyable to read. He also loves books with sounds (he’s 4.5 years old) such as Noisy Zoo.
There’s also a few odd ones that are by far his favourites - Funny Bones, SuperPoop, Definitely Do NOT Open This Book, Dragons Love Tacos, Poo In The Zoo (I know, a lot of poo-related stories ha…).
And there’s always the classical ones that never disappoint like Stickman or The Jolly Postman.
Introducing books to children at an early age and helping them find joy in reading is, in my opinion, one of the best gifts you can give them in life.

7 Likes

Once upon a bicycle, so they say… I’m pretty sure I could do all of this from memory too! It was the only book I was ever willing to read to my younger sister, apparently.

4 Likes

Also used ‘50 shared texts’ (Scottish Primary) a lot. Can do them orally or as a paper exercise. 3 levels of differentiation if I remember correctly. One for all the KS2 year groups.

Excellent children’s authors the Ahlbergs.

2 Likes

I often trawl the charity shops for books for my grandchildren/great nieces and nephews. They’re a treasure trove for children’s fiction.

4 Likes

Definitely. I recently found a completely untouched box set of ten Anthony Horowitz books for a pound in the local hospice shop. Brilliant stories.

6 Likes

50 shared texts are also available for KS1.

Yes in life but … I never want to go through home-schooling ever again.

6 Likes

Chanting times tables goes in and out of fashion. I was very much in the 'for ’ camp. They learn the tune I feel.