01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Blaufränkisch

Anyone else out there a Blaufränkisch fan?
TWS have recently increased their offering in this area but I haven’t bought any yet.
But the wines I’ve had so far (e.g. Moric) have been excellent. Lovely up front fruit with a zip of acidity that means it’s great to drink with or without food. Not too strong either at around 13%.

Be interested to hear from any other members who like their Austrian and German reds (TWS had an excellent German pinot but can’t remember its name).

Don’t know if the buyers will able to lay their hands on anything like this again, but this wine, on the list last year, was fabulous for £12 and shows what a bit of bottle age can do for it:

I’d love to see something like this listed again. I’ve got one left, to drink at some point this year :wine_glass:

Me too, just the one…

Totally agree! :+1:

I’m definitely in the Blaufränkisch camp! I think it offers so much for (often) such a good price: spice, vibrant and crunchy red fruit and a lively acidity that makes it a great food wine. The Austrians make fantastic examples, but so do the Czech and the German. If you love reds that are not about over-ripeness and jammy flavours, but offer a fresh palate of forest fruits- you can’t go wrong with a Blaufränkisch.

My Wine Society favourites have been:

A fantastic aged example, which is so vibrant and perfumed. A really fantastic wine!

and this one from Hungary:

Which is juicy with bright acidity and a long finish.

Most recently, the clear winner of a virtual tasting was this Czech offering:

I missed the boat with it - by the time I came to buy it, it was sold out!

From other merchants, I loved this NV from the Austrian Pittnauer:
https://www.butlers-winecellar.co.uk/products/pittnauer-velvet-2010

which is a blend of Blaufränkisch with Zweigelt and Merlot. Absolutely delicious! and a Kekfrankos from Lidl, from the Eger region in Hungary which I can’t find anything on their website about anymore (it was in a Bull’s Blood blend).

Hi there,

Yes, I’m a fan of this underrated grape too. Wish there was more available in this country, and via the society.

I visit Slovakia realtivelty often (every other year), where it is one of the dominant varieties, and they are producing so really good wines nowadays. I particularly enjoyed this on a trip there last summer, so bought a box back:

Just wish I could get it in the UK!

Tim

Me too, though it’s quite a new thing. We’ve been going to Austria over the last few years, family etc, but until the last two trips of ‘18 all my wine trying & buying there went into whites. Lots of lovely GV’s & Rieslings, of course, though one I often go back to is an affordable (they aren’t all in Austria) & v drinkable (many are) GV-Riesling blend called Wien 1, by Pfaffl. You can get it, of all places, in duty-free at Vienna airport for circa €8.

But I digress: Blaufränkisch. A couple of bottles were suggested to me when in Wein & Co last summer (wine bar & shop throughout Austria, v good choice though expensive, so I’m now keeping away from all but their offers.) Brought them home where one did little, but the other, a Wachter-Wiesler, was great: fruity, precise & with the acidity that you’ve all mentioned. Knowing I was going back to Austria for Christmas I did a bit more research into Blaufränkisch, to find that Mr W-W is one of the leading lights in a new generation of terroir driven, young organic producers, many of whom are in Burgenland. I enjoyed another of his when out there, a Bela Joska, which can also be drunk young, and have one to keep, a Ried Weinberg. Also bought home were others from the the new wave, as it were: Rennasistas & Franz Weninger, and some from the generation above these but who were among the first in the region to rethink Blaufränkisch: Ernst Triebaumer, Uwe Schiefer & Hans Nittnaus. Had a Triebaumer & a Schiefer over Christmas, just entry level, & they were wonderful. I really felt like I’d tried something new.

Sorry about all the names. Part of the reason for mentioning them is that you’ll find some in Newcomer Wines in Dalston, East London, a bar & wine shop that concentrates on low intervention, terroir driven wines from Austria, Czech & that part of the world. Maybe not to everyone’s taste (see a member’s comment about Pittnauer’s Dogma Blaufränkisch on the WS list) and I’m not sure I’ll like them all - and many don’t exactly sit in an everyday drinking budget. I’m in West London & haven’t made it over there yet, but will do so soon, hopefully when they have a tasting evening.

I’ll need something to try in the meantime as the advice from the Burgenland Vinothek in Vienna was to keep all but one of the bottles I bought there. So, the WS Birgit Braunstein . . . I see in his 2019 Pocket that Hugh Johnson writes of her “rare intuition, experimental spirit, amazing reds.” Of others mentioned above he says “bio producer of elegant, nuanced reds”, “gifted, intuitive” “creative & irreverent” “characterful, edgy; elegant Blaufränkisch”.

So there should be some great drinking ahead.

Apologies: longer post than I’d intended.

No need to apologise! Your enthusiasm is infectious! :+1::grin:
If you do get the Birgit Braunstein - let us know what you think of it. I thought it was an excellent proof that well made blaufränkisch can age gracefully. A truly elegant wine.

I had a bottle of Tomáš Čačík Frankovka 2016 (WS CK101 - but not there now, from a mixed case MX192) last night (serendipity). Sadly, it was, imho, and my friend’s, dreadful. It could have been a bad bottle - is this more common with minimal intervention wines?

Missed out on the Braunstein, but I reckon it would be good.

Moric is still the standout producer for me. I don’t profess any expertise, though… just too many interesting grapes around!

BD1949, not sure if a bad bottle is more common with minimal intervention wines. I have a feeling that what you or I (or others) may consider bad is how some of them are meant to taste . . . . sour is a word I’ve seen written about them in review on more than one occasion. I’ll let you know how I get on as I brought two botts of Blaufrankisch back from Austria that fall into this category. Plus others that don’t!

Suiko, the Braunstein is still listed as available on the WS site.

I’ve read a bit about Moric and it’s very well thought of. The shop I went to in Vienna didn’t have any, but I’ll definitely get some from elsewhere when I return. I too have little expertise with Blaufränkisch, but have started & am looking forward to gaining a bit more . . .

Hi everyone, I’m really pleased to see this thread as I’m a massive fan of blaufrankisch. I have a wine from Moric on the way, which will appear in an upcoming Fine Wine List, in the Small Wonders pages, so look out for that. Admittedly it’s not 100% blau but a red blend, with blau.

Birgit’s Blaufrankisch is great and ages incredibly. I tasted it for the first time about this time last year and I liked it a lot. I then got back to TWS HQ and in our store room happened upon a bottle of her 2009 which had been sent to us a few years ago. I opened it out of curiosity and it was utterly wonderful. When young the wines are big and tough but become so silky and elegant in the bottle.

There is some 2012 Dveri Pax Modra Frankina on the way in the next few weeks. Just as good as the 2009 IMHO.

If you’re a natural wine fan then give this a go - https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=AA2321

HOWEVER, make sure you decant it for a good few hours. When I first tasted this, I wasn’t blown away by it at first. I left the bottle open and kept going back to it every day and with each day that passed it got better and better. After a couple of days of being open it was singing and so pure and silky.

For something which is upfront and juicy and very drinkable in its youth, Hans Igler is well worth trying, so don’t overlook it!

Finally… I probably shouldn’t say this but… I have some amazing stuff on the way from a Hungarian producer called Peter Wetzer. He makes wine in the cellar under his house in Sopron. His Kekfrankos/blau is unreal. I’ve bagged some for TWS however it isn’t ready to be shipped until this summer and then wont be released for sale until probably late 2020 but you heard it hear first!

I might change my last name to Blaumer…

Great news! I thought the 2009 was ludicrous value and was worried it might be a total one-off; I’ll be snapping up a few of these :+1:

Interesting to read your comments on the Dogma, Freddy. I was left pretty underwhelmed by it when I tried it, despite it ticking all the boxes for ‘things I’d normally like’. More patience next time, I guess.