01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Bin #001 Bobal 2017

discovery

Just ordered this. The notes say it is an intensely rich red with generous blueberry and spice flavours, made from Spain’s native bobal grape.

Let’s capture the verdict on this thread.

BBQ Wines Summer 2019

Once you receive it, as well as what it tastes like, please do let us know if the back label has any further info, like who made it, which region of Spain it’s from, or what makes it a limited edition…

Based on the front label, I have googled Altolandon… they are a winery in Cuenca. They do have single varietal Bobal for sale at €7 a bottle.

I assume it is this (or something very similar):

AltoLandon, Mil Historias Bobal 2017 Manchuela

Or dare I even mention it again…is it English Bottled???

This link includes a video which makes it clear (from the back label) that it is bottled at source for TWS

and it is restricted to 12 bottles per member

Great thread @NW3Andre! :+1:t2:

We’re really excited to hear what members think of the first entry to the brand new Bin Series! :wine_glass:

Thanks - the product page on the website (ie the original link at the top of this thread) doesn’t have any of that detail - but perhaps they just haven’t uploaded it yet.

Could I just ask where the new Bin #001 thingy sits with both ‘the Society’s’ and ‘Exhibition’ ranges in both quality and price. The blurb seems to suggest they will be ‘limited edition’ wines. To the uninitiated, that would seem to be a higher level than the two established brands.

I have a case for delivery on Wednesday, will report back my findings!

Reads like it could be a mix, guess the difference is small volume vs regulars from the Society and Exhibition series. I’m hoping for something different, very occasionally Majestic had an interesting option in their Parcel series, I’m sure the society will be much better than that.

I’ve ordered a couple of bottles for the bank holiday weekend

Is it the Mil Historias then?

I could make a wine. It’s limited edition. It doesn’t mean it’s any good!

But I bet it is … will find out soon :yum::yum:

I think the clue will always be in the price. But that said, Bobal is not particularly sought-after, so is usually good value.

Must try this if it is still there when I put in my next order, as I have liked most Bobal wines I have tried. TWS also do one (with a smidge of Syrah in the blend IIRC) that was good and great value: Aranleón Sólo Bobal. Was out of stock a few days ago though.

A good article here on the elusive Bobal grape for those that are interested, I am sure Juan could have given some insight into this grape but I am not sure if he is around much at the moment.

You are right John, I’ve been a bit busy recently with work travels etc etc but I’m certainly interested to see what people think of this wine.

Like with many other indigenous grape varieties in Spain, their image problem not only comes from being consider a blending workhorse, it also comes from bad wine making. Many bobals are sometimes over extracted and over riped. This obviously is due to different factors, one of them is plantings in less than ideal places (low altitude, clay soils) but also it’s partly due to winemakers trying to stay competitive in a market where most people want their wines dark, big and powerful (insert influence of a certain American wine critic if you fancy).

The best example I have found of Bobal are made by Bruno Murciano. El Sueño de Bruno has a soft touch with the extraction of tannins, and possibly picked up not too late. It’s fragant and complex. The wine is harmonious, elegant and it has depth. Also La Malkerida, which is his cheapest wine, might not be world class by any means but it really is nice too.

I think we will see more of these lighter styles of wine with bobal like we are seeing with grenache. It’s part of a change in taste, but also a change in attitude by consumers wanting something more unique. The good part is that there is plenty of old vine bobal in the east of Spain. It only needs people to like it so winemakers have a reason to bottle it without masking its character with ripeness and oak.

I’m still curious if it is it the Mil Historias

This tweet has the back label.