01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Big change afoot in Sherry country

7 Likes

Thanks for the share, really interesting. I look forward seeing how the unfortified wines taste.

1 Like

I think @Richard is a fan.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve had very tasty still wines made from Palomino and Pedro Ximenez, but don’t think they were made in the region.

2 Likes

Me too. But I think he was blogging a couple times (if I remember correctly) specifically about dry Palominos from the region. The one I made note about was called Las Mercedes - but haven’t managed to find it anywhere.

2 Likes

I think that the Mercedes came from Decantalo. There are others, like UBE from Cota 45 and Mirabas from Barbadillo. May be Cadiz region rather than sherry triangle. Hard to find in the UK either way.

3 Likes

Surely the Niepoort Navazos is a model for such non,-fortified wines?

My understanding is that the PX that M&S used to sell (still does? Don’t know) from Chile isn’t the same variety as the one used in Spain (if that’s what you’re thinking of).

Was this one actually, but there was 10% Moscatel in there too

https://www.indigowine.com/wine/pixel/

1 Like

I had a few glasses of this one, which is one the list at The 10 Cases in Covent Garden at the moment:

I can highly recommend it - the description on the listing here is absolutely spot-on - pure, crisp, slightly savoury & very definitely morish. I could quite happily of sat in the sunshine and sunk the bottle.

2 Likes

Me too - I tried it in Jerez.

2 Likes

See this article for more information.

1 Like

Thanks. I didn’t realise Listan Blanco (or any of the other names) were actually Palomino.

2 Likes

And, right on point

1 Like