01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Best value vintages

Hi all,

Owing to vintage various where some years are much better than others (like with Bordeaux vintages ending in a 0 or a 5) there are lesser vintages that don’t have such a high rating and therefore didn’t command higher prices. Some of these ‘lesser’ vintages might now be quite a bargain as sometime vintage ratings can be wrong or the wines has developed differently.

Owing to the expertise on the community I thought it might be interesting to see if there is a consensus on certain region vintages that weren’t rated highly initially but are now drinking well.

I’ve had a lot of joy with 2007 and 2012 Bordeaux.

When I’ve spent £20 or so on a 2007 they’ve generally been really good - the Chateau d’Aiguilhe from TWS was fantastic, and I’ve had a few bottles of Chateau Le Boscq that were equally good.

I’ve found that 2012 offers really good value at the lower end of the price range. You won’t get full, rich wines with lots of complexity, but they’re easy drinking, fruity and approachable. Quite pretty. I had a few bottles of the 2012 Chateau de Pitray that was cracking value, and I’ve got one of these tucked away that I’m looking forward to:

No such thing as a lesser vintage or a greater vintage … just earlier-drinking or later-drinking wines! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A Châteauneuf-du-Pape producing friend of mine, after making his 2002s (good, but made after a very wet harvest with lowish yields and less richness than usual), stated ‘Ah well, I shall release these before the 2001s which will benefit from a touch more cellaring and will command a better price.’

I’ve always found 2008 Bordeaux to offer good value, well for Bordeaux. Overshadowed score wise by '09 and '10.
Eg Rauzan Segla around £65 compared to over £100 for the 09

Or from TWS perhaps the '08 Pontet Canet at £70, compared to the 09 at £160.

Select carefully and 2011 and 2012 may also do the trick.

Rhone - there is potential for good value in many years that are not 10, 15 and 16 which are seen as the stellar vintages. 2012 S Rhone has been good but some wines now entering a dumb phase. 08 needs treating with caution for both north and south. 13 was odd in the south so wines tend to be atypical, many domaines not producing special cuvées so research is key. 2014 is too early to tell I think, initial impressions for me not great for the south - write up of the north appears to be good but early drinking.

I’m hoping my 2011 Petite Église will be in this category. I’m considering taking deliver of a bottle or two soon to find out.

Is that the syrah-heavy year, because there wasn’t much grenache to go round…?

You are right about the '08s but they have been rising this last year as people look for “value”.

Interestingly, of all the Bordeaux I recently put up for sale two cases sold straight away at a profit, probably the only ones, they were 2008 Duhart - Milon and 2006 Montrose.

Yes that’s right.

Although, no real value in top end Bordeaux. If you want value look elsewhere, like South Africa. If you want the wow factor you still need to go for the Great and Good of Bordeaux imho.