Seen on Twitter:

12 Likes

When was that from?

That’s hilarious:
Spanish : Burgundy
Burgundy: Beaujolais
Say what? :rofl:

4 Likes

Surprised not to see Irish/liqueur coffee, which I’m sure was a feature. Maybe they came later.

1 Like

Maybe that was what an International Coffee Specialty was?

Crazy to think Mateus was more expensive than CNDP.

Clearly white wines were for people with a sweet tooth.

1 Like

Ah! But you bought the Mateus or the Chianti for the bottle which you used afterwards as a lamp base or a candle holder!

3 Likes

There was less accuracy or international agreement about what you were allowed to call your wines!

It must be well past 1970 because decimalisation did not take place until 1971. Even then for sometime after old currency was quoted alongside new currency. And “p” were referred to as new pence “np” for sometime. My guess is that this menu is mid 70s

2 Likes

I used to love going to Berni inn for a treat - they used meat tenderiser on the steak allegedly.

The one in the middle of Welwyn Garden City was in the Cherry tree pub (now a Waitrose) - used to have a mock Tudor village inside, so each table was kind of under a thatched roof. Plus of course Chianti flasks on the tables with dripping candles. Very classy with a glass of Mateus Rose.

You young folk, don’t know what you’ve missed.

3 Likes

Yes, but I just love the fact that the Spanish wine was called Burgundy and the Burgundy wine was called Beaujolais. Did no one in Berni see the incongruity in that?

1 Like

Bear in mind that most folk drank pints of beer, and a half for the lady. Maybe a Babycham if it was a first date.

I think I’ve been misunderstood here. I understand all the reasons why the menu is the way it is. I just found it hilarious that Spain has a wine called Burgundy but Burgundy doesn’t. Instead it has Beaujolais.

2 Likes

There was a Berni Inn in Hereford in 1960s-1970s. I was at boarding school at Belmont Abbey about 2 miles outside the city. On a whole holiday (usually a saint’s day) we had the day off and a general exeat to Hereford plus double pocket money. Juniors usually had 2/6d a week, seniors 5/-, 6th formers I think had 15/- So as a junior if you kept the previous 2 weeks’ money you could just about afford the fish dish. (Provided you walked into the city and did not take the bus).
A trip to the Berni Inn was an occasional joyful release from disgusting boarding school food.

2 Likes

Good point. Have altered the topic heading.

2 Likes

By 1984 it was getting quite exotic.

6 Likes

I remember my mum making a whole house-full of these, with crushed velvet and tassels. I’m sure she learnt it at night school.

1 Like

I can’t imagine the 2020’s equivalent - Harvester and Toby Inn - having Whole Dover Sole on the menu.

Must have been pre the significant inflation of the 73-79 period judging by the prices…

1 Like

The Berni that we sampled the Whole Dover Sole at, was located in central Bristol.
The wine list was reputed to be very good, don’t ask - no idea, that was left to those in the know!! At that point my wine knowledge was an accomplished "zilch."
This Berni was very close to the Berni HQ, it was very good - it was that meal and experience that got me started on my wine pathway. And subsequently a local restaurant that did a magnificent fillet steak au poivre and crepes suzettes at the table, with the Kressman LaTour-Martillac that began my education. All served by a faux Frenchman, actually a Brummie who could do decent silver service and I got very, very lucky with the wine choice. :yum: :dragon:

1 Like

Wonder if the schooner of fino for 19p was the safest option.

2 Likes