01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Beaujolais exploration

beaujolais

Following the recent Beaujolais taste I was very taken by the level of complexity delivered by the Roilettes. This is something I have not encountered before, probably because in the past I’ve only really drunk cheaper Beaujolais (nouveau probably), and so I’m now interested in exploring these wines a little further. Initially I was looking at the two mixed cases (though one is now sold out) but these are all 2017 and I was so much more taken by the more mature Roilette that I am disinclined to opt for young Beaujolais for my exploration. As such these are the Beaujolais wines currently on the list that are 2015 or older (and affordable):
Beauregard, Moulin-à-Vent, '15
Beauregard, Fleurie Poncié, '15
Joseph Burrier, Saint-Amour, '15
Joseph Burrier, Chiroubles, '15
Roilette, Fleurie, '14
Do you good folk think that represents a moderately good first exploration of more mature Beaujolais? There are no older Beaujolais currently on the list (other than a rather expensive '09).

2015 Beaujolais are atypically full bodied in general, often quite"grenache" like. But the wines you have listed should all age well. 2014 is a more “classic” vintage

Ah thank you. So that’s a problem then as I’m not really wanting to age them but rather drink them now to explore which Beaujolais styles I prefer, and if 2015 is atypical then it’s probably not appropriate :frowning: which leaves me no other choice but to buy elsewhere (reluctant) or only explore young wines (also reluctant). If I filter from 2016 instead of 2015 then there is a much larger choice but is that old enough to get a sense of more mature Beaujolais crus?

Atypically full bodied as a rule of thumb, of course individual wines vary and the 2015’s I have drunk have been enjoyable so no harm in trying them out. Like everything its all about trying out a few wines and seeing which Crus and more importantly which growers you like.

Yes but my concern is that if it’s an atypical year then are they going to give me a good sense of the typical wine from each producer? I don’t want to buy 1 bottle of wine x, love it to death, and then buy a case of the same that I then hate as the case is now from a more typical year. Made even worse if I’m buying the case to lay down for a number of years.

Bottom line, I would have assumed that in order to explore Beaujolais wines I’m best doing it with wines from a fairly typical year.

Mike: I share your concern regarding the £45 '09 - to misqote Oz Clarke, BJL should be joyful and laughing - and £45 sounds a tad serious. BUT it’s definitely worth getting in the odd £25 bottle with a decade in glass just to see what can happen at the upper end of the spectrum (something you could never do with Burgundy or Bordeaux)