01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Barolo Serving Advice [Barolo Bussia, Silvano Bolmida 2011]

We’re opening a bottle of this for tomorrow as a special treat - Barolo Bussia, Silvano Bolmida 2011. Somewhat mixed reviews on the site, but I’m hopeful of something we’ll enjoy.

Any particular thoughts re the best way to serve this? We’ll be drinking it with traditional roast beef btw; probably at about 3pm.

Our current intention, subject to change, is to bring it to room temperature and open it this evening, and obviously to give it an initial taste. And then to either leave it in the bottle w/o the cork, or to fully decant it to sit overnight; obviously x 2 with a few sips throughout to better develop our understandings of this particular species. [I’m much more a white drinker myself really, and wife is only an occasional drinker but loves her reds]

My curiosity I suppose is to make sure we don’t overdo the length of time it sits and breathes before we actually drink it “properly”.

Any thoughts on the wisdom - or otherwise - of this approach? I’m no expert on Barolos, but know enough to appreciate they can be a bit tricky to get right. And obviously x 3 we don’t want to waste our potential enjoyment of the bottle by not treating her right.

1 Like

I feel like at least someone should reply to this post, not least because there seems to be a reasonable following for Piedmont on here, and TWS stock them,so here goes a starter for 10… :smiley:

Bussia can be generally a quite and tannic commune that can take years to ‘relax’. So it may be worth waiting. However (silver lining time!) 2011 in general produced much lighter, more red fruited, more forward and approachable wines.

I have no idea on the specific producer - never had a single one of their wines that I recall- but that rule of thumb holds for all the others I’ve tried, right across whole ranges - the 2010 and 2011 Ravera from Elvio Cogno, for example, are so different as to be practically unrecognisable as the same producer.

I would always recommend decanting Barolo regardless, but I’d aim for at least 3 hours. It’s likely with the vintage that it could be quite approachable on opening, close down for a couple of hours, then start to reopen from thereon in (however, it is Bussia…). I’m not certain about overnight for a 2011, but then again, Bussia.

For me, I prefer Barolo with something umami-based (so game through to lamb and duck, wild mushrooms. It’s also fantastic with Veal). I’m not really one for beef with it, but thats probably just the traditionalist in me :smiley:

8 Likes

I have to be honest, although I’m a Barolo fan, I was hoping you’d do the honours with a reply and waiting to see your advice!

3 Likes

I had a bottle of this last weekend. Decanter for just a couple of hours it was very approachable with a lovely nose. Somehow I left half a bottle in the decanter overnight. I wasn’t a fan the next day at lunch, but the last glass in the evening for the Christmas TWS quiz it was in a great place again.

5 Likes

Thank you folks. I must confess, from what little I know of Barolos, I was wondering if it was a bit early for this one, and also too if traditional roast beef is its natural company. Umami-based is easy enough in our house - wife is from Taiwan and we’re both umami-inclined, so umami is frequently where we’re at regardless of who’s cooking.

I may yet open it in the morning - we have two more bottles in our wine fridge to sit on - but I may also revert to the back-up in the shape of a nice tried & tested Argentine Cabernet Franc. Good with umami stiff too obviously, but goes with just about anything [for us at any rate!].

6 Likes

Just opened a bottle of this for this evening, and I’ve never encountered such a strong initial nose of kalamata olives in a wine before … tiny taste very promising, looking forward to this evening!

How did you find it, @crocos?

1 Like

Glad to find someone else whose interest was caught by this one. Like yourself, I was struck by the very strong initial nose; first tastes for us were uncertain though as it was really petty tart and tight to begin with. After decanting it, we ended up dipping in and out of it over three days & nights; not for reasons of sobriety you understand, but because it’s a relatively new grape for both of us and I wanted to understand how the grape works.

I liked it 6.5/10 from the start, but then I enjoy dry & sharpish-savoury reds; while wife, who certainly does not enjoy such tastes, was pretty indifferent to it. We found though that by the third night in the decanter it had become really very very interesting and enjoyable for both of us. Very savoury and full of all sorts of nuanced tastes, and the fruit more apparent.

I bought two bottles, and we’ll probably leave the second one a while yet. When I do open it, I’ll probably do so a day or two before we plan to enjoy it.

I’d love to compare it to a full-Monty aged Barolo as part of my learning-of-the-grape, but such beasts are sadly a bit of an extravagance for us. Also these days, when I do blow a wad on a single wine, I tend to go for whites. I love reds too, but tend to find I somehow usually just get that little bit more ethereal pleasure & enjoyment out of an excellent white than I do from an excellent red. That said, our best-ever-enjoyed bottle to date was a Brunello, followed closely by a Taurasi.

7 Likes

Interesting, thanks. Have double decanted, and I’m the only red wine drinker in my house so it will be drunk over at least two nights - maybe I’ll manage to keep a glass back for a third night taste…

2 Likes

How was it for you?

Fantastic! Unlike you I didn’t find a huge difference over 3 nights but I loved it from the first glass. I’m very new to barolo and it’s too expensive for me to drink very often or widely but this definitely piqued my interest

4 Likes