01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Barbecue wines

I’m hoping to have a barbecue this weekend (although the weather may well do its best to scupper my plans) to mark one of those milestone birthdays, so put together an order to make sure the rack was appropriately stacked. Foodwise, I’m doing slow-cooked feather blade with a spicy rub and BBQ sauce, alongside the usual burgers, sausages, halloumi and peppers, sweet potatoes and salad etc… Here’s the order I put together - does anyone have a suggestion for anything I should have included?

Red:
Ventoux Les Traverses x 2
Cotes du Rhone, Rive Gauche Rive Droite
Silbador Carmenère
3C Carinena
Bricco Rosso Suagna Langhe Rosso
Society Beaujolais Villages
Quimay Uco Valley Malbec
Weinert Cabernet Sauvignon 2006

White:
Fistful of Schist Reserve Chenin
Muga Blanco Rioja
Saumur Blanc Les Plantagenets
Cotes du Rhone Secret de Famille Blanc

Rosé:
Duo Des Plages x 2

NB - much heavier on the red than white, because I know that’s what my friends will mostly be drinking. The white choices are heavily influenced by what my wife drinks!

A small celebration case - suggestions sought

Oooh, I like this sort of challenge. Great list.

I think this sounds like a challenge that @hugofount and @cgoldin would relish.

challenge accepted…

I like Pinot Noir with steak but then I always eat steak without sauces so not sure what that does to the experience - I suggest the cheaper of the two Lemelson wines:
https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=US7001

A word in praise of white wine for barbecues though…

One of the best moments about wine and a barbecue for me is drinking a very crisp unoaked white wine while I’m tending to the food - I suggest the Saleta which I think is wonderful (and cheap!):
https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=SP12201

An Albilla or Greco would also do very nicely…

I sometimes prefer to stick with white with the food as well - my SA roots pull me to Chenin and Chenin blends. You have one in your list already so no complaints from me but I feel the urge to praise this although it is not cheap even when available:

https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/HistoricProductDetail.aspx?pd=SA9601&usage=&pageNumber=0&pageSize=50&OrderBy=&ProductType=All&Country=South+Africa&Search=&OrderRef=&InStock=False&DrinkNow=False&Recent=False&MixedCaseWines=False

I’m intrigued to try this as a cheaper alternative:

Basically - Hooray for the Swartland!

You guys are making very thirsty!

Some great suggestions there - I toyed with the idea of going for a Pinot (although definitely wasn’t thinking of getting a £20 one to share - strewth!). Which raises the question of what the best lower priced Pinots are in the WS range, but I guess that’s for another thread…
The Saleta is an interesting one - it’s been in my sights as a wine I need to try for some time, but the presence of Sauvignon Blanc in the blend has put me off so far. I’ll add it to the wish list for the next order. The Saumur is in there as the unoaked quaffer, but I know my wife will also be stocking up on her favourite non-WS white (from Sainsbury’s :blush: although to be fair it is rather nice) which we’ll have as backup.
I’ll definitely check out the Mother Rock too. SA Chenin is a relatively new thing for me, and I’m keen to find a really good one.

Many thanks, Colin!

For cheaper Pinot noirs, I have found even the basic south of France pinot noir was good, if you are wanting a bit more fruit the Zarcillo from Chile is also good at the value end of the range - won’t knock socks off but fairly easy drinking.

The Soli PN from Bulgaria was excellent value for money (when I had it last vintage - not tried the current one), but I think currently OOS, sadly.

Sounds like this would be a good thread on its own - probably a few to choose from

Some more good selections there - Soli is definitely one I’ll try again, as I haven’t tried this vintage yet. Hopefully it’s back soon! For France, I’ve really enjoyed this in the past:

Dangerously drinkable, from what I recall!

On the reds you can’t go wrong with zin, but it looks like my top two picks aren’t available at the moment (perhaps everyone else has got BBQ on their minds too. :yum:

From the value wines I think the Baccolo and Percheron would be great, they aren’t massively full, but have great concentration of soft fruit flavour with some depth and spice to them which would match well the charred meats.

Another great option would be the Blood Brothers Red from the Liberator label, it’s a Rhone-y blend with some Zin chucked into the mix as well. It has a similar flavour profile to the others I mentioned (dark fruit, spice, soft but concentrated etc.) but just fuller, deeper and oomphier.

Hope it all goes well!

Three wines I haven’t tried there! Not this vintage of the Baccolo anyway. I really enjoyed the Trample Dance so will give Blood Brothers a try!

Showers are forecast for Saturday. So that’ll be me and the grill under a gazebo in the garden while everyone else is inside, then… :rolling_eyes:

How did you create the embedded links?

to which question I’ll also add - how do you reply privately rather than to the whole thread?

Not a huge pinot fan but we had this South African Pinot with steak the other night and it went very very well:

If you mean the links in the words, as opposed to the ‘onebox’ previews, then highlight the word you wish to turn into a link, then click on the link / chain icon in the formatting menu and then paste the link you want into the box that appears

to reply privately, click on the user’s image / avatar and their user card will appear. If you are logged in (which you have to be for the test) you should see a blue message button. Click this to send that member a private message

This question encouraged me to create the appropriate “How to …” article on links

You can read the appropriate guide here (and find plenty of related items like it in the #howtoguides) :

If you are looking for good, reasonably priced but robust Pinot, this is my go-to:

For a more traditionally full-throttle BBQ red:

I really like the question from @Bargainbob and @cgoldin’s responses. I like the food, I like the wines, I like the conversation they have engendered. And I can think of some wines too, wines I like in a BBQ context. For example, this one to glug while setting up the barbie or while preparing the meats:

And this is a brilliant light red:

And this is a brilliant rich red:

But there’s a deeper philosophical question that remains unanswered for me. What is a barbecue wine?

You see the expression often. But no one has ever satisfactorily defined it for me. What are the necessary and sufficient conditions for a wine to be a “barbecue wine”? I can imagine it’s something to do with accessibility, crowd-pleasing, “easy to drink” (what does that even mean?), cheap/affordable (why? why not amazing - if the food is amazing, why can’t you put a more expensive wine on the table, assuming you’re not feeding more than six people?), goes well with smoky meats, goes well with barbecued fish etc. etc.

In Sunday supplements, at this time of year, wine writers often use the throwaway expression “barbecue wine” or similar, but never explain why they always attach this label to big bold reds under a tenner. If I’ve worked hard on a barbie, marinated really good cuts, prepared all sorts of lovely other bits to go with the meats or fish, and haven’t invited the whole neighbourhood over, why should I get a cheap big juicy red out? Why not a fabulous vintage Rhône or a Burgundy or a Bandol or a Barolo, or a insanely intense Toro or Jumilla?

Surely the garden is a place as good as any to have fabulous wine!

Please enlighten me!

I am completely with @ricard on the philosophical question here. Just looking at the reds I’ll have on the day, I’ve got some full, spicy CdR sitting alongside Beaujolais. I think they’re both going to work well, but for different reasons. The Cotes du Rhone will be full flavoured enough that it can handle smoky, spicy meats. The Beaujolais will be great with sausages, but also be refreshing and light, which is great if you’re in the garden with glass in hand all afternoon. We have got maybe 20-30 people coming this weekend, so price has definitely been a factor. But that said, it is in the back of my mind to open a 2005 Aloxe-Corton I’ve got tucked away if the mood feels right (and there aren’t many people about…)

As for the wine choices, I hadn’t spotted that Godello in the range. Is it new? I know Albarino is the trendy one, but Godello is definitely my Galician white grape of choice. I’m very familiar with the Salvaje del Moncayo, but will add the Moulin a Vent to the wish list now.

@MattH Thanks for the tip on Maycas del Limari Pinot - I’ve nearly bought that several times, and will now do so!

Good thoughts there @Bargainbob! I must say if it’s 20-30 people then one must definitely keep the costs under control. So it’s all about value <£10 I think, and the Society does that surely better than anyone else. I do the same - when most guests have gone/passed out, I get the good stuff out for those who can appreciate it. So keep that 2005 nicely under wraps until the right moment arrives…

Godello - I think Albariño is fantastic (especially at the top end, and anything by Pazo Señorans), but Godello… Oh… Honestly, good Godello can be transcendentally delicious. Richer, fatter, more voluptuous, enveloping and expansive than Albariño. An amazing value Godello called Bolo that sadly is not currently available (the 2016 vintage wasn’t good enough for Rafa Palacios) is my go-to Godello at the Society, so in its absence it has to be the slightly less impressive Rompeolas.

Possibly the best Godello is As Sortes, occasionally stocked by the Society (I think), but currently available elsewhere:

On the Maycas de Limarí, I’m afraid I don’t completely concur with @MattH, but I’m very willing to be persuaded! I adore Pinot, but I tried the Maycas a few years ago, looking for a bargain, and found it artificial and synthetic and overly fruity and cloying and sweet. Perhaps it was the vintage? My go-to Pinot at this price point would be the Undurraga TH:

I think they had it at the Society AGM tasting in June and it’s fantastic. Maybe it would be interesting to compare the two side-by-side (although they’re different vintages…)

Much less powerful but soooo elegant is this one:

Anyway, Friday fun!! :grinning:

Unless I’m mistaken no-one has mentioned Rose which I assume most of us want to be outside while drinking.

I’m not a big fan of Rose (basically I avoid it) but I’ll make an exception for this:

Domaine Sylvain Pataille, Marsannay Rosé Fleur de Pinot 2014

I think it can hold its own with most foods - maybe its not a ‘real’ rose…maybe that’s why I like it!