01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Bank Holiday weekend drinking thread [28 to 31 August 2020]

Another ‘Dead Fly’ (Mosquita Muerta) wine tonight. Since I last tasted one of these wines, I have learnt that Mosquita Muerta” is an expression in Spanish which is actually used to describe a person (male or female) with apparently little potential for success who ends up accomplishing a remarkable feat. The websites says that Jose Millán chose this name for his project to mock those in the Mendoza who doubted of his potential as a wine business entrepreneur. Around 70% of Mosquita Muerta’s production is sold in Buenos Aires.
This is a blend of 70% Malbec, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Cabernet Franc and 5% Merlot and all from different areas in the Uco Valley at between 1050m and 1350m above sea level. 60% of the wine spends 16 months in new French oak and the remainder is matured in concrete eggs.

A lovely rounded wine with great depth: Opaque. Deep red rim, hints of violet. Restrained nose. Black fruit. Cedar. Rich palate. Dry. Medium acidity. Firm tannins but rounded. Black Plum. Black currant. Liquorice. Hints of green pepper and prune. Long finish.

20 Likes

“Cranston’s best, the acme of Cumberland sausage”

A bold statement, families fall out over that sort of thing around these parts!

4 Likes

11 Likes

Started the weekend with the 2012 Capbern on Friday night with steak. It’s my 6th bottle of a case of 12 bought EP. It’s a reliable claret - nothing spectacular but it wouldn’t be in this vintage and at this price.

Then for tonight I opened this Pinot Blanc to go with Salmon. I loved the Pinot Blanc Reserve I recently had by Albert Boxler, but this is cheaper (£15 from a local merchant) and not as good. I suppose it wasn’t going to be a perfect match for pan fried Salmon, but I was super keen to try it.

Yes there’s a hint of flint and melon, slightly off dry, but the finish is quite short. Interestingly it’s only 10% abv and without realising I’ve already drunk 1/4 of the bottle before I decided to open something else for tonight😁!!

So it’s the Macon Verze tonight and I’ll keep the PB in the fridge for tomorrow​:laughing:. The wife won’t be happy - she’s stopped drinking alcohol for the time being so I’ll be lectured on my unit consumption​:tired_face::joy::joy:

14 Likes

I’m with @JayKay, can’t beat Cranston’s :wink::wink::laughing:

3 Likes

We missed tapas night on Thursday so tried to catch up yesterday. After a cheeky mid afternoon sherry (definitely something you would never hear before I joined this forum!), then a glass of cava as aperitif. This is a nice cava, rich while still fresh acidity. It has a distinctive yeasty taste which reminds me of uncooked pastry (rather than toasty, or bread).

Then we had food delivered from a high-end Valencia restaurant that we’ve been to in previous times. Squid, chicken wings, chargrilled octopus and rabbit paella. Yum! Bizarrely the only Spanish wine in the house is this wine I picked up on Tenerife.

Wow, what a great wine!
Effectively chosen at random in a wine shop.
Light red in colour with thin clear rim. On the nose it was all woodsmoke, savoury meaty quality, vanilla and if you hunt some faint raspberry. But on the palate plenty of ripe fruits mainly blackberry with sweet tobacco, and soft vanilla. Medium tannins and high acidity.

This is everything I like in a wine. It’s one of those times when you finish the bottle and think… oh I wish I could just have another glass or two :heart_eyes:

20 Likes

Have made a mediterranean vegetable casserole and decided to open up some Pithon Paille Anjou Mozaik 2015 Cabernet Franc. Looking forward to this as its the first time I have tried wines from this well regarded producer.

Update:

That was lovely classically styled Loire Cab Franc, well judged oak and drinking well, but built for a long life. Fairly fine boned in style, but without any overly green flavours that can put people of this sort of wine.

12 Likes

We all have to suffer for our art!

The price of Vin de Constance has gone astronomically, I used to buy quite a lot of it before prices became. I’ll guess I paid the same for a bottle then what Hawksmoor charge now for a glass.

Anyway, some time ago I was a Klein Constantia speaking with the then winemaker and when I said I was keeping bottles of Vin de Constance to age he was surprised, asking “why?”. He said it was good to drink now.

All the same, I’ve got one 2002 in my Eurocave - the last remaining one of 6 I bought from TWS for £25 each in 2008. Waiting for a dinner guest who will appreciate it. Waiting for a dinner guest! Roll on vaccine…

11 Likes

@matedw - it’s some pub that lists Lafite-Rothschild 1985. Closest I’ve been is one nearby that had a framed picture on the wall facing the entrance showing its label plus three other 1st growths. The manageress laughed tho’, when I asked about them. Their wine list was the usual informationless collection of bulk shipped dross with invented names.

I take it you got - like me - your Phelan Segur 2012 from TWS. I haven’t opened mine - what did you think of it?

We have two butchers here in Cockermouth who both make excellent Cumberland sausage. The butcher I prefer actually makes several versions of which I prefer his coarse ground, very peppery type. We’ve done a few blind tastings with as many as 15 different sausages, where I grant that Cranston’s always does well, but hasn’t (from memory) ever been the overall winner!

7 Likes

A 2016 Austrian Riesling made by Weingut Rabl this evening, to go with oven roasted Mackerel and roast spuds:

This is Rabl’s old vines, single vineyard bottling from Schenkenbichl in Kamptal, and it is absolutely gorgeous! :star_struck:

Medium gold in the glass, and a fair amount of viscosity (this is 13.5%), the nose starts with a whiff of petrol - though very faint, and then with some swirling, it explodes into peach and apricot territory, tropical fruit (pineapple, we thought), orange blossom but also something a little like the pleasant smell of haystacks.

On the palate, it shows a good balance of concentrated fruit (stone fruit, passion fruit and tangerine) married to zesty acidity and underlined by fantastic minerality. The finish is one of the longest I experienced recently - it really just goes on and on! - first hitting on sweetness and ripe fruitiness, then moving on to citrus zest and finishing on a tingle of minerality. The texture is rounded, with a sort of beeswax oiliness, kept alive by that Riesling acidity.

Purchased from Waitrose Cellar about a year ago, during one of their ubiquitous sales (the 2017 is on sale as we speak!), I would consider this very good value for money even at the full price. I must avail myself to a couple more bottles….

Whilst cooking, though, a glass of Cockburn’s White Port… lovely stuff! :ok_hand: :grinning:

18 Likes

I’ve opened a crianza from one of my favourite Bodegas in Rioja, Ostatu. Nicely positioned on the road between Laguardia and Haro, always one the places we must stop at when we visit the area.

Very dark red/purple in colour, I get lots of blackberry and plums on the palate with a little hint of liquorice.

Every sip takes me back to the region. I discovered the Bodegas randomly, on a tour of Roda one for the other guests was a local expert taking winemakers from the USA around Rioja, he recommended Ostatu as one of the best kept secrets in the area.

15 Likes

Apologies for awful photo. In peak condition. From a WS mixed case, a few years ago.

19 Likes

This was a magnum no less. Also had a dbl magnum of Mouton 89 in its graveyard of former conquests. There was a Clinet 2000, Leoville Barton 99 in dbl mag… I understood the shooters brought them with after the shoot and paid a corkage. The dearest wine on the pub list was £31!

The Phelan is from Fine & Rare actually as I bought it in Jan 2018. I didn’t get round to opening it. I bought it off the back of having a bottle with a friend and found the oak to be at the forefront but felt it would develop nicely. I will report back after tonight as it’s just been opened.

Incidentally, I paid £127 cs/6 but if you happen to have the TWS EP price I would be interested to know what it was. I was not that into wine in 2013, starting to get involved around 2015.

16 Likes

Rather down-market after the last post. Nonetheless we enjoyed these wines with pan-fried duck breast then cheeses followed by bread-and-butter pudding.

17 Likes

What a fantastic meal! That rabbit paella looks excellent!!!

3 Likes

Two further thoughts.

Firstly, I think that this kind of wine from 2012 proves one can derive great pleasure from “lesser” vintages and the prices make them green light buys. I have Phelan 2010 too so will compare one of these days.

Secondly, I wish I was into wine prior to 2012 as this is when I met my (now) wife and my purchasing power was significantly limited by this new, external, factor!

8 Likes

:smile:
I hear you

Roc de Cambes from 2000 must have been worthy of a tasting note? :grinning:

2 Likes