01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Average price by best sellers by region - data alert!

Hi all,

Now that the new site search shows in best selling order I thought I would have a quick look at the top 10 products showing up in each of the ‘by region’ sections, looking at the average bottle price as well as the min and max.

Its just a bit of fun but I thought it might be interested to see which regions are generally more expensive than others and how much the price can change. The way I have pulled these figures was to simply average the first 10 product’s bottle price for only full bottles, excluding halfs and magnums etc. I have just had a look at the top regions when looking at the main navigation - didn’t drill into all regions.

Bordeaux - £8.71 average bottle price, price range between £6.25 and £13.95
Burgundy - £14.43 average bottle price, price range between £9.95 and £24
Rhone - £9.45 average bottle price, price range between £7.75 and £13.95
South of France - £7.73 average bottle price, price range between £6.25 and £10.50
Champagne - £32.65 average bottle price, price range between £22 and £47
Loire - £8.40 average bottle price, price range between £6.74 and £11.50
Beaujolias - £9.37 average bottle price, price range between £7.95 and £11.50
Alsace - £12.31 average bottle price, price range between £7.75 and £16.50
Chile - £7.25 average bottle price, price range between £5.75 and £10.50
Italy - £8.07 average bottle price, price range between £6.25 and £10.50
Spain - £7.76 average bottle price, price range between £5.75 and £9.95
New Zealand - £9.67 average bottle price, price range between £5.95 and £10.50
Australia - £8.03 average bottle price, price range between £5.95 and £10.50
South Africa - £8.41 average bottle price, price range between £6.25 and £11.50
Portugal - £7.13 average bottle price, price range between £5.95 and £8.95
Germany - £10.74 average bottle price, price range between £6.95 and £14.50
Argentina - £10.83 average bottle price, price range between £7.95 and £13.95
USA - £11.86 average bottle price, price range between £6.75 and £19

Looking at the differences between the lowest and highest bottle price, Portugal has the lowest difference of just £3 vs Champagne at £25. The lowest average priced region was Portugal it seems at £7.13 a bottle with the overall average looking at this sample size across all regions being at £10.71.

Anyway - just a bit of fun to see which regions are perhaps slightly more expensive to get into for top selling wines.

Underestimated Wine Region

Interesting and a little surprising that Bordeaux came in below both Rhone and Beaujolais (not so surprising that it’s below Burgundy!).

I guess looking at the products at the moment, there are a fair few everyday clarets as well as white Bordeaux with a few being under £7.

https://www.thewinesociety.com/searchProducts.aspx?idx=products&dFR[country][0]=France&dFR[region][0]=Bordeaux&is_v=1&pl=wbx&hPP=15

who doesn’t love a bit of data ?!?

do you have median data ? when combines with range sometimes goes a clearer view ie is data skewed by low and high values

I too am surprised about Bordeaux but as you say the effect of summer drinking white Bordeaux might have an influence

I guess it might also be a case of whilst Bordeaux might tend to have more expensive wines than many regions it also tends to have more lower priced one as well.

Would probably, of course, get very different results if comparing the whole range rather than just the most popular ten.

Its why I just wanted to look at the top 10 as there are lots of fine wines on the site, but only a small number of members would be buying them, whereas looking at the most popular might give a slightly different slant on the data.

Just a quick bit of analysis, interesting that the Portugal has the lowest/best value price point going back to how The Wine Society was founded :).

Portugal has had a bit of a renaissance this last decade, and there is some great value to be had there. In a similar vein the society has always had a good slew of Bordeaux to be had at the lower end of the price range. That price range offers slimmer pickings in Burgundy so it’s no surprise to see the mean there coming in much higher.

Figures weighted for volumes sold would be even more interesting, but probably too commercially sensitive!