01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Autumn trip to Italy

Thinking of taking an Autumn break, somewhere with decent wine and truffles. Any suggestions? Italy maybe but anywhere will do.

We have all seen the TV trope: TV Chef wanders through medieval village market at dawn, talks at camera, admires baskets of truffles. Later on sits down to fabulous lunch and gets rosy cheeked. I want to be that bloke - but without learning to cook.

Truffles not important. Cheese and wine are. Ambience is all.

Any suggestions? I’m looking to fly out ryanair or similar, hire a car, 4 or 5 days.

3 Likes

Going back to the truffles, I think you need to have a word with @Olivercg, if he’s recovered yet…

1 Like

I’m intrigued! can you find a link to the thread?

You’re probably a couple of weeks late for Cep season, and 6 weeks early for Perigord truffles, but… if you’re considering France, Albi is wonderful at this time of year - compact city, full of food and drink places, a lovely old centre, local wine is good and still-undiscovered-cheap - and Domaine du Buc nearby (you’d need to hire a car and stuff, I feel like I’m not really helping here) is one of the most wonderful CdH we’ve ever stayed in. (The Foehn affect can give temperatures into the twenties well into November, so no cold weather slumming it).

Or stick with Italy. Which I’m really not much use at :grinning:

1 Like

Albi looks good.

Foolishly I looked at the Ryanair website - apparently they might or might not fly there. But REALLY they would like to tell me about flying somewhere else. A website built by trained chimps (my apologies to chimps) - it’s like going into a pub, asking for a pint of best, and being offered a variety of fruit flavoured cocktails.

4 Likes

I’ve just today returned from 4 days in La Morra, and I do think the Barolo region as a whole might serve you well. To be honest, the white truffle we had on Monday night smelt amazing and was abundant (it was a fixed price for the dish) but unfortunately lacking in flavour - still a bit too early in the season but should start hitting their stride in a couple of weeks.

Fly to Turin or Milan (1 and 2 hours drive respectively) and head up into the langhe hills, potter between historic villages, winery visits, and nice restaurants with good wine lists and abundant truffles…

11 Likes

Sounds like you had a brilliant trip.

And this is a great place to stay on the Fontanafredda Wine Estate - good hotel and 2 restaurants, one with a Michelin star.

Villaggio Narrante at Fontanafredda & Casa di E. Mirafiore

2 Likes

Another ringing endorsement for Piedmont here. La Morra is lovely, if a bit quiet, and I can highly recommend the accommodation at Society supplier - Rocche Costamagna - Rocche Costamagna
The rooms are right over the cellars, and they throw in a tasting of their excellent range of wines.
If you want somewhere a bit livelier - and with a broader choice of restaurants - Alba is a lovely friendly town, and there always seems to be some festival or other going on.
All the Barolo villages are worth a visit, and the views are spectacular. You would need to hire a car; taxis are scarce, they’ve never heard of Uber, and whatever you do don’t rely on the buses.

6 Likes

This is unfortunate. I’d love to go, but would also like relying on the busses :frowning:

2 Likes

I was sadly marooned in Barolo village one time until a shopkeeper opposite the bus stop, who had seen me waiting there for over an hour, came out and told me there would be no more buses that day, and laughed when I pointed at the timetable. He was closing up, and very kindly gave me a lift back to La Morra.

7 Likes

My top tip is to walk.
We stayed a couple of days in La Morra and then Monforte, and then walked to tastings.
There are many clearly marked paths through the vines and maps etc. some online from tourist office.
Plan your walk and tastings around lunch. Go back to pick up purchases the last day.
The area is so beautiful it’s a shame not to emerge yourselves

6 Likes

I think I prefer your interpretation ! much better than immersion.

Sounds like my kind of break, I do a lot of walking for pleasure. Picking up purchases for the return might be tricky 'cos budget airlines. And I can (just about) navigate an Italian food menu.

And I get to drink Valtellina Superiore ! my favourite red wine.

It’s beginning to come together in my mind, many thanks for the contributions. Having said that, Albi in France intrigues me.

2 Likes

Sorry, taken to dictating my posts which leads to odd spelling.

I can second the recommendation for “art suites” Rocche Costamagna as that it where I stayed for 4 nights this week.

If walking more, perhaps a village with lower elevation better - with La Morra it will always be uphill on the way home!

4 Likes

That’s better for me - my heart needs a gentle start to a walk ! I quite fancy the idea of downhill all the way to a leisurely trattoria lunch… then taxi back!

2 Likes

Ah the issue is every village is on a hill…

Although the majority of slopes are vineyards and you will walk through some pretty hallowed crus!

As Russ says, there are some excellent walking maps available in the tourist information - I cant find my old copy just now or I would offer to post it to help planning.

1 Like

I had a colleague who did cycling holidays there - for precisely that reason (or so he said) - every morning was a downhill run.

1 Like

Probably a bit late as everyone has weighed in with why Piedmont is lovely (and I’m sure it is :slight_smile: ), but if the truffles aren’t important, consider Alsace. Autumn is, in my opinion, its very best season. The colours of the vineyards and the Vosges forests are stunning, there are fewer tourists but the weather can still be great (though it can also even snow), and there are plenty of mushrooms.

Apparently there’s a bumper harvest of cèpes this year, and Eguisheim has a mushroom festival on the last weekend of October. :mushroom:

8 Likes

I hesitated to suggest Alsace, as well, but this is definitely the year for Alsace. Even Riquewihr is quiet, and the other villages more beautiful than you remember. Don’t miss the new Rolly Gassmann show room, and its view.

2 Likes