01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Auctions

Ahem… this over-confident assertion backfired on me this week. Having put in a few speculative bids on a Dreweatts auction, I was pleased to come away with a six-pack of Rioja Alta 904 for £210ib. However, adding commission, VAT on commission, duty and yet more VAT, the total came in at… £10 more than I could have bought outright at Lay & Wheeler. C’est la vie.

Still, very pleased to be able to try this wine, which I’ve not had before, even if it is at the absolute top end of my price range.

Jim

6 Likes

If you’re looking at this thread you might find this interesting

https://www.ewbankauctions.co.uk/component/com_bidding/id,644/layout,catalogue/view,timed/

Some old Bordeaux in OWC’s, some mixed lots of dubious quality, but worth a browse for entertainment anyway, if you have a few spare minutes.

5 Likes

Haha… this was my favourite :joy::joy:

“Unknown vintage”:joy::joy:

5 Likes

So how much will you bid?

1 Like

Just looking at future Tennants Jewelry/silver auction which contains some unusual decanters and whisky tots, also a couple of vander silver beer jugs of slightly different sizes, which I feel would make super wine Ewers, not that far away from the fine example at the head of the listing.

:scream:

4 Likes

Interesting range here, with a fair amount from TWS

2 Likes