01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Are all young people hipsters now?

Few days go by without another article about how ‘hipsters’ have transformed or revived some previously-unfashionable habit - whether it is in clothing, eating breakfast cereal or possibly a hair-style (I am still waiting for the re-introduction of the comb-over).

I was very happy to see that sherry sales have apparently seen an increase recently, but I can’t believe it is just down to those who would call themselves ‘hipsters’. Just because I drink craft beer and flat whites doesn’t make me a ‘hipster’ (oh, and maybe also because I’m a tad too old for the moniker).

Can’t we just celebrate the fact that younger people are discovering wines of great quality rather than attributing it to a single marketing trend?

Have you seen more sherry “out there in the wild”? Has it tempted you into buying some to have at home as well?

I think Sherry has got to the stage that no-one really thinks of them as an ‘old nan’ drink, same seems to be true of people thinking that all German wine/Riesling is sweet (recently converted my dad to Riesling). I also think its wrong that its being labeled as a ‘hipster’ thing (like the trend of orange wines etc) its probably because younger people don’t have the stereotype of it being an old person drink. I think there is also more choice out there now and even supermarkets have a good range of proper sherry (as well as the sweet blends).

Was it the hipster who burnt his mouth because he drank his coffee before it was cool …?? I’ll get my coat

Anything not in the mainstream!

For insight into what makes, drives and influences a hipster, look no further:

I did a full on ‘cry with laughter’ when I read it.

Considering the term was first originating in the 40’s jazz age it can hardly be used solely for the “young”! I think unfortunately it’s just become a buzzword to use to judge or criticise, much like “millenial” when people, granted primarily younger, try and celebrate new things. I think perhaps previous generations have had things the same way for so long that because change leaves you uncertain it’s easier to be dismissive than embrace it. I think you also have to consider factors such as younger people travelling more and further than their parents and grandparents did so for example they’ve experienced sherry in Jerez and not just as Harveys Bristol Cream at Christmas. You wouldn’t go to a tapas bar in Spain and pass them off as “hipsters” so why do it when people try to enjoy things authentically here?!

@Bargainbob I got that book for my very trendy brother-in-law last Christmas and we loved it! I seem to remember a line about someone called ‘Jinja’ opening a pop-up trifle bistro inside an old Spitfire. :joy:

I personally think hipsters are just people who are eager to try new things, and like to discover why something is becoming popular - so the good coffee, the crazy desserts like cronuts and freakshakes… they want to experience them for themselves, and if they like it then that’s great!

I’ve been so happy to see the rise of the tapas bar in the UK because it’s encouraged everyone to drink more sherry and they’re discovering how amazing they are. Bringing that authentic Spanish experience here is great. And thanks to that discovery, I always have a bottle of fino at home and it’s one of my favourite aperitifs. :slight_smile: If that makes me a hipster, then I’m a hipster! :wink:

There was an excellent article in the guardian suggesting milennials seek meaning and experiences. They want to explore and are curious about ‘crafted’ things, perhaps because as a generation we are more detached from that in desk jobs.

This is excellent also for wine as more people are there to discover the ‘back story’ to wine (and sherry)

Personally i adore sherry! I distinctly remember raised eyebrows when ordering it on a first date when i was in my early 20s and the girl thought i was a little odd. However I assured her it was fine as i listened to radio 4 and that was that!

I drink a fair amount of sherry. Usually own label, when I am trying to make boring midweek dinners interesting with a glass of fino and a handful of KP nuts whilst cooking,.

The ‘sherry revival’ story is a regular feature for wine writers, along with ‘wines for barbecues’, ‘wines for Xmas’, ‘wines for lazy, hazy summer days’ etc etc.

Hmmm. Blue Nun and Black Tower follow?

@Malbecmaverick Haha, you may joke, but Black Tower have done loads to try and attract younger, trendier audiences in recent years. I’ve no idea what, if anything, they’ve done to the actual wine itself but their new labels are very eye-catching indeed and quite unique.

Interestingly, sherry hasn’t needed to change its appearance to catch the hipster crowd’s attention, which hopefully shows that we’re more discerning and less susceptible to pretty, shiny things than some marketing professionals think! :smile:

@NorthernWrites Mmm, I’ll have to try that. I also find myself chucking some sherry in the food itself increasingly often.

Now you’re just trifling with us, @laura

I agree with the tapas comments, I think a lot of people have been to Spain, seen what the locals are drinking and brought those ideas back, which has in turn fuelled the (largely welcome) boom in Tapas bars. If you’re ever in Borough Market then I highly recommend Lobos, by the way. Superb.

From the Society, the Romate Fino Perdido is amazing value for money. Also I recommend pushing the boat out for some ‘As You Like It’ :+1:

Talking of such matters, … did anyone go to the Generation Wine event in Hipsterland last week? Any news to report?

I was there pouring! I really enjoyed it; again like the first one at Kachette it was buzzy and vibrant and the actual space we were in was cool and interesting. I think we’re on our way to a fresher, younger feel for tasting events which is pretty exciting!