01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Apple cider

The last couple of days have involved making various jams with a large fruit haul the kids picked at a semi-local farm. I say the kids ……. but they really did more eating while I filled their buckets…Anyway, Ive also come into a few bags worth of apples and thought I could maybe make some apple cider.
I know there are plenty of recipes available online but I thought I would ask to see if any of you wonderful people have a tried and tested recipe I could use??
Thanks

Sorry can’t help with a cider reference but so far this season I’ve made some strawberry jam and gooseberry jam, next up will be logan/tay/raspberry jam. All from fruit in my garden :smiley:

(I cheat and use my breadmaker to make the jam!)

Didn’t know you could do that ? I’ve made some strawberry and then blackberry and strawberry… I don’t even eat Jam :joy:

Please tell us more about how to do this.

I think there is usually a ‘jam’ setting on it - the bread maker is basically just a heated metal pan with a paddle that can stir it, pretty much the same as putting a metal pan on the hob.

My only experience of making cider was finding an apple tree in my youth and fermenting up a few demijohns. After bottling, settling and ageing I cracked one open to realise that using 100% crab apples makes for a reasonably tart finished product :rofl:

Still, you live and learn and I’ve now replaced most of the fillings it stripped out…

I also can’t help but have had a fun summer making sorbet with pick your own crops. Blackcurrant is my favourite but they have had a difficult year, whereas redcurrants have been abundant and are also very good. I have also found use for a wine - many sorbet recipes advocate a small amount of fruit liqueur to allow the sorbet to not set too hard in the freezer. I don’t have any grand marnier or creme de cassis (shocking, I know!) but tried a splash of Rutherglen Muscat (the Blind Spot wine) and it works a treat.

We’re hoping to ‘harvest’ a Mirabelle tree which I pass on my way to work. It just needs a couple more weeks to fully ripen, I think. Planning to make Mirabelle jam a la Alsace and probably some clafoutis.

Now, if only we could distill it into scnapps…

Exactly this. Put it on and come back 2 to 2.5 hours later.

I’ve got a (very northerly) orchard where the only reliably cropping tree produces very, very boring apples. I use the apples for:

• setting various jellies (mainly rowan but the coffee jelly from a French recipe was really good)
  • fresh juice which is frozen in old milk cartons (even though the apples are boring, the fresh juice tastes amazing although it does oxidise brown immediately)
  • making cider

The recipe I use for cider is: juice the apples, sprinkle on cider-specific yeast, fit an airlock and leave it for as long as I can be bothered. The hardest bit is juicing the apples. I have a wee fruit press but it’s still a faff involving lots of chopping in a food processor. I ferment the apple juice 'til all the available sugar has turned to alcohol which makes for a still, dry drink which is unlikely to be much above 4% alcohol content. Up here in Scotland the apples never have lots of sugar. It makes for a fine, cold drink on a summer’s day and also does well perked up with a dash of sloe gin.

Thanks Sally, I have a juicer so I will try this method. I don’t have any cider specific yeast ut Im guessing if I do everything else the natural ambient yeast should get to work also??

Living in a major cider area, the knowledge is that extra yeast is not necessary. The key is to macerate the apples properly before pressing out the juice, thus keeping the natural yeasts on the skins in the system. The you can leave it for a few months to do its stuff!
The pedant in me also knows that ‘apple cider’ is tautological as only ‘cider’ is made from apples. Perry is made from pears…so Pear Cider is so wrong on many counts.
Just an example of marketing speak overtaking the reality!!

… and so becoming the new reality? Languages evolve (change) all the time, which I guess might be worrying when you live through such change.

I’ve never made cider, but purely from a drinking perspective all the best ciders I’ve drunk have been fermented naturally (ie no added yeasts)

They do. Though of course you only know which new usages are going to “stick” retrospectively. Not everything takes, as sometimes the pushback on certain neologisms actually works.

I have a feeling that “pear cider” (ugh) is actually cider flavoured with pears. I would start worrying if perry became “pear cider”.

Maybe wine should become grape cider? You heard it here first…