01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Apex of Pedantry

The Welsh restaurant chain comprising three Dylans printed a special menu for the Welsh Valentines day. A copy was on every table. When I saw it I thought of this thread, here it is

The culprit is the first Mains dish…

3 Likes

It might have crispy lamb breast as part of the garnish?

1 Like

Unless it’s simply once more removed.

For example, a Crozes Hermitage, that is similar to a Cornas could be described as a baby Cornas.

Then another wine, say Blossom Hill, could be similar to the C-H, may be a ‘baby Cornas in all but name’.

You COULD then have a wine made from grapes opposite the Blossom Hill vinyard (I’m assuming they use grapes to make Blossom Hill here), so the blurb on the bottle could read ‘From a vinyard facing a wine which is a baby Cornas in all but name’.

If you were struggling for stuff to put on the bottle. Actually I think I had a 12 Crimes recently that said that.

4 Likes

Does a baby Cornas have tannin rash?

5 Likes

post withdrawn

That’s not it. The correct answer illustrates the interesting fact that we really only care about the first and last letters of a word, and not the order of what comes in the middle. It took me a long time to see it.

7 Likes

As Valentine’s Day is St Valentine’s Day, and is fixed by religious by-laws as 14 February, I’m not sure a different date can be accurately described as ‘Valentine’s Day’, even in Wales.

(sorry, but given the thread…)

Jim

Ah yes, can’t un-see it now. So true

2 Likes

“Dydd Santes Dwynwen or St Dwynwen’s Day celebrates love and lovers and takes place every year on the 25th of January.”

I vote for calling it Welsh St Valentine’s Day :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not sure that’s correct. Because Saint Dwynwen is / was an entirely different person to St Valentine.

So you could vote for a Welsh St Dwynen’s day. Or an English St Valentine’s day. But not a combination of the two ? would that be like voting for the 5th November to be Scottish Christmas day.

3 Likes

OK, so it’s off-topic - voting intentions have nothing to do with pedantry. Fair cop

1 Like

Err… On a pedantic point, is St Valentine’s Day English? It is a cynical business opportunity- err I mean celebrated across the Christian church. Neither was Valentine English.

2 Likes

It seems that it originally was a bog-standard Catholic Saint’s Day but was appropriated by the English in a fore runner of today’s marketing consumerism extravaganza.

According to the fount of all knowledge (ie Wikip…)…

The Feast of Saint Valentine was established by Pope Gelasius I in AD 496 to be celebrated on February 14 in honour of Saint Valentine of Rome, who died on that date in AD 269.[9][10] The day became associated with romantic love in the 14th and 15th centuries when notions of courtly love flourished, apparently by association with the “lovebirds” of early spring. In 18th-century England, it grew into an occasion in which couples expressed their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery, and sending greeting cards (known as “valentines”). Valentine’s Day symbols that are used today include the heart-shaped outline, doves, and the figure of the winged Cupid. Since the 19th century, handwritten valentines have given way to mass-produced greeting cards.

2 Likes

Oh no… turns out he was a ROMAN. What did they ever do for us eh?

So there can be an English, Roman St Valentine’s day? so presumably a Welsh, Roman St Valentine’s day is also feasible.

Incidentally - Feb 14th is a date close to my heart; In 2017 a surgeon put 3 stents in on Valentines day, due my heart attack two days previous!. A fascinating procedure I was able to watch live on the X ray monitor, whilst simultaneously feeling some very strange sensations.

4 Likes

Three’s a lot of stents, and something you, me, and Brian May have in common.

I had mine during the first lockdown. I was looking forward to a guided-tour of my coronary arteries, but communication with the surgeon was very difficult with the layers of mask and perspex between us. All I remember was 2 1/2 hrs of fuzzy squiggly lines on the monitor, and hoping the surgeon could see what he was doing.

2 Likes

I went back for another a couple of months later - seems they missed one! so all 4 for free (at the point of delivery) nearly 5 year anniversary. I declined morphine, after all you don’t get to experience that kind of procedure very often. Good to hear that you, me and the badger whisperer have something in common !

2 Likes

I wasn’t offered morphine, but perhaps they gave it to me anyway - it might explain the fuzzy squiggly lines :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe a sweepstake opportunity. Anyone want to guess how long it takes for the word “fewer” to vanish from common use and be replaced by “less”. Possibly around the same time as “amount” wins the fight with “number”.

“The amount of spectators is getting less and less.”. Presumably not because each spectator has been replaced by a substantially thinner one?

I think fewer will vanish within my lifetime, which I hope still has some years to go.

3 Likes

I’ll chip in with one that I see a lot on these pages though I’ll accept that it is a usage that has changed over the years.

With words like drink, ring, sing the past tenses are drank, rang, sang and the past participles are drunk, rung, sung. So “he drank the wine” and “he has drunk the wine.”

Interestingly enough though if you go back 200-400 odd years the drink usage seems to have flip flopped. But most sources seem to clearly identify the above to be the correct modern usage, and I, certainly, find the opposite use very jarring.

I should add there are many other words that use ‘i’, ‘a’ and ‘u’ similarly such as stink, sink, spring, begin etc.

4 Likes

I must hold my hand up and confess that I’m often quite bad at using fewer and less correctly :blush:

1 Like