01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Apex of Pedantry

Don’t get Mr JayKay started on ‘iconic’!

1 Like

Possibly a little off-piste but here’s something for pedants

8 Likes

@SPmember, @peterm, @JayKay

As in " there I was, sat sitting on defense".

4 Likes

As I recall, one of the arguments was whether it belongs to the pedants, or is merely a corner in which they are found. In which case the apostrophe is unnecessary, and it’s just “Pedants Corner”

2 Likes

Tsk… it’s pedant’s corner (not pedants’ corner)

Agreed! Stay safe is an Americanism of the worst kind…almost tempted to reply, " no I think I’ll go and be as unsafe as I can".

Social distancing is oxymoronic, or perhaps just moronic. Physical distancing or safe distance would be much more accurate.

4 Likes

Yes! Moronic. Talk about contradiction in terms…! Physical distancing is much better. Get the hell out of my space works well too, I find.

As for ‘Stay safe’ or ‘keep safe’ - the less said the better! :face_vomiting:

Verbification of nouns makes me itch all over. But I really see no evidence of the contraction or simplification of English in all its forms, quite the opposite. I love new usages and use them, despite sometimes sounding like those men look who wear clothes way too young for them.

Consistently throughout history there has been this wailing against the new in English. And they are always wrong. Was it Socrates who moaned on about how writing was going to lead to the downfall of Greek civilisation? Clever man but nonetheless…

3 Likes

Biggest bugbear on wine sites is the inability of posters to distinguish between palate, pallet and palette. Drives me bonkers!

2 Likes

3 Likes

No one say it better than Calvin and Hobbes… :+1: :+1: a lifelong love of mine! :grinning:

2 Likes

Thats just spelling mistakes.

That will often be the spell checker at work. I find that particular mistake amusing rather than annoying.

How about a wait being expressed as “xx sleeps until…”? Pure infantilism.

1 Like

If you don’t correct spellchecked text you get all sorts of misunderstandings :wink:. However I think many people are not aware of the difference. I admit to the fault being on my part (just like my finding the almost universal use of expresso in place of espresso grating…).

2 Likes

I agree with spelling words correctly but its a modern phenomenon. In times gone by when many people could not read or write many names were mispellwed and the consequences remain with us today. I live in Keighley,pronounced Keigthley . At some time in the past someone missed out the “T” and it stuck . I meet people who try to pronounce Keighley as it is written and they cant.
We have friends who live in Belvoir in Belfast pronounce it as Beaver. I have discovered on the Belvoir Castle site that the name Belvoir – meaning ‘beautiful view’ in French, and pronounced today as ’ beaver

1 Like

Spelling was something we had a lot of testing for when I was at school. I became proficient at cheating on spelling tests, my spelling is terrible, as is my long division. Neither have made the smallest difference to my life. Spell checker and calculators. Nuff zed!

2 Likes

I have pretty much 100% confidence in any calculators I use. Spell-checkers considerably less!

2 Likes

And anyway, shouldn’t it be “spelling-checker”, not “spell-checker”? Surely a “spell-checker” is something that Harry Potter would use? When I was growing up, we had “spelling tests”, not “spell tests”.

6 Likes

My spelling checker identifies as spell checker.:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Never mind that, what about Stay Alert???

Exactly what level of vigilance are they expecting with something you need an electron microscope to see?