01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Anyone had an interesting or unusual previous job?

Hi all,

I know that this community has a huge range of different people from all walks of life, was just wondering if anyone used to have/currently have a really interesting job?

I am lucky enough to work here with such great work colleagues and a really good product and have been able to learn about something I enjoy as well as meet various wine makers over the year.

Anyone done a really interesting or unusual job?

1 Like

Currently really not! I am running a digital/analytics/technology programme for a large construction and infrastructure project. Actually bits of it are very cool (e.g. finding myself 80 meters under London occasionally!), but day to day it’s not as exciting as it sounds, mostly as despite doing it for many years I can’t get used to managing rather than doing.

I have previously designed clubwear (clothing for ravers, cybergoths et cetera) in the early 00’s and been a professional astronomer.

6 Likes

I have done a bit of that from a novice perspective, mainly enjoy photography so looked into some astrophotography and got a few really good shots of the moon etc. Was also excited when I actually saw Jupiter with a couple of its moons as well for the first time.

2 Likes

one I can tell you about in another 4 years !

2 Likes

Yes! Can’t wait.

1 Like

In former lives, I’ve been an Arabic translator for a Gulf foreign minister, a ghost writer for a well-known voice in business and, briefly, a first-class cricketer.

12 Likes

@Cavafy I think you’re currently in pole position bob!

4 Likes

Fair play! My Arabic never got that good…

1 Like

I received a letter informing me I had been suggested as a nominee for Drinks Business Young Achiever of the Year. I had to write back to let them know I was 53 years old. I heard nothing subsequently…

11 Likes

You should have waited to see if you got it! :laughing:

And then you could have collected the award in person…!

2 Likes

My role in the (Israeli) army was pretty out of the ordinary… But will have to kill you blah-blah-blah :female_detective:

5 Likes

Sadly I don’t think I would have. I had only joined the wine trade two weeks previously

:rofl::rofl:
In truth, the cricket is more interesting in retrospect. Two three-day games a week (as it was then) can be quite tedious!

My cricket never got that good! Though I played with and against quite a few who played at that level…

1 Like

I did a PhD and postdoc at UCL working on how chemistry works in extreme environments (mostly supernovae and supernova remnants), unfortunately due to the attitudes towards various things in academia dream job became a bit of a nightmare, which is why I left.

was my most successful image - tied to my most successful piece of work (on noble gas containing molecules in the crab nebula for any chemists/astronomers amongst us!)

11 Likes

When I was a student I worked in a toilet paper factory. Not in any way unusual but my insights into the inner-workings of bog roll production have been very much on-trend these last weeks!

11 Likes

Are you able to enlighten us as to how many layers of abrasive card @Herbster managed to extract for his Damascus nightmare

4 Likes

What sort of filters should I look to use? Should I look at getting some of the narrowband filters? Will look to get some ND filters for some more moon shots I think - completly forgot that the moon is in full sun!

Guessing that photo was shot with a slightly larger than a 1000mm focal length f5 reflector!

While my prime responsibility was the machine responsible for sticking the beginning of the roll to the cardboard tube I believe we bought the tubes in so this is outside my area of expertise!

I can give you an anecdote, however. The toilet paper factory is an incredibly dusty environment. The particles get everywhere. We used to wear (what I now know to be) the N95 mask. One day the guv’nor came round and wrote a number of each of our masks corresponding to our name on a sheet. When we asked why it was we were told that someone dropped their mask into the machine and didn’t say anything. It got woven into a roll and was not seen again until some poor old girl sat down to do her bathroom work and as the roll unfurled, this horrible mask came flopping out. She was so alarmed by the sight that she caused herself an unspecified injury. The major retailer whose own-brand product it was were understandably furious and demanded action and the numbers were the result.

12 Likes

Gaaaah! That’s hilarious. I wonder what the unspecified injury was :thinking:

1 Like