01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Anyone going to saber Champagne?

Hi all,

I have not sabered Champagne myself but was just wondering if anyone was planning to show off and sabre a bottle during a dinner party this year?

I am guessing it won’t work on Prosecco due to the lower pressure but might be cheaper to practice on if I wanted to give it a go!

no plans to… but have given me an idea !!

Don’t see why it won’t work on prosecco…given the pressure is lower, the glass may be thinner and therefore same effect achieved? If I were you, I’d go into the showroom with a set of scales, and weigh the bottles…try it with the lightest

If you’re going to practice on a Prosecco, make sure it’s a Spumante rather than a frizzante :+1:

As long as you don’t practice on the mother in law :rofl:

If I asked her to hold the bottle and I just misjudged it a bit, do you think I’d get away with it?

that hurt…

Done it. No need to do it again.

Practice on a Cava.

Slide blade smoothly up seam of bottle, don’t aim to stop, in your mind make the movement go all the way.

The cork with capsule and wire cage and glass top of bottle will travel maybe 30-40 ft so ensure you have a clear line of fire.

Sabrage all you need to know about taking the head of a bottle of Champagne

mind you the French have had a lot of practice at removing heads…

And what about Port Tongs? Anyone used those?
Saw something similar in the Torture Museum in San Gimignano, but not for the pleasure of ancient Port consumption.

Ouch :flushed::flushed::flushed::hushed::hushed::open_mouth::woozy_face::woozy_face::woozy_face::woozy_face::woozy_face:

Indeed - I’ll be using my tongs to open some ancient VP over Christmas. Unlike sabrage, port tongs work reliably and predictably.

Serjeant at Arms: “No, no, give it here, that thing’s terrible for opening Champagne, it goes everywhere. You can borrow my sword.”

Lloyd Russell-Moyle: “Oh, okay. Here you go then. Sorry everyone…”

I was given a champagne saber few years back, and it has gotten some use, although not that often of late as I am currently in a third floor flat, and it’s not something I would recommend doing indoors! Most uses have been successful, although the picture I use on here is actually of me holding the remains of a bottle that exploded