01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Anyone else not like Champagne?

Er - no! In fact it was called (in those days) sovietskoye champanskoye vino - soviet champagne wine, and although I’m no fan of sparkling wines, it wasn’t a bad drink, certainly better than other Russian wines I’ve tasted.

I wonder was it from Georgia ?

This one?

“Soviet Champagne” (if that is what it was!) was a sort of trade name for a variety of sparkler that is still made today. There’s a Wikipedia article on it, I’ve just discovered -

“Soviet Champagne”

(crossposted with @Cormski)

Yes. Despite what seems to have been agreed in 2011, it’s still on sale under the same label today.

It seems to have been produced in various places in the Soviet Union - Belorus, Russia, Lithuania, Moldova, I’m not sure about Georgia.

I almost did a study period in St.Petersburg when I left Baku , always regret not doing as it would probably have left me fluent in Russian instead of the pigeon stuff I have instead .

I’m with @Leah on this one. And there is much wisdom in @peterm’s advice to sit on them awhile before drinking.

However, there’s no reason for everyone to like the stuff, any more than any other wine. No need to beat yourself up if it doesn’t appeal - that merely means you’ve avoided another obsession that would risk draining your bank balance. All I would say is give it a chance, beyond the obvious big blends served direct from some supermarket.

I went to tasting of the champagnes of Billecarte Salmon. I found I liked Blanc de Blanc champagnes so 100% Chardonnay.

I tried a glass of cava after a champagne at Christmas - no comparison. Mind you it was a £10 cava vs a £50 champagne. :joy:

No, there are not the same; different grapes and different growing conditions for starters.

That’s why I like Cava, because it’s not Champagne, and why I am against the move there to plant and use the 3 Champagne varieties.

yes i know that. but in terms of mouthfeel, intensity, mousse, etc. which is what Mitch asked i prefer decent b de b champagne. i never understood the word tension when describing a wine before, until this Christmas.

I think the marketing of Champagne has been perfect. They have pulled people in myself included Into paying high prices for sometimes poor products. For example until yesterday I had never bought or for that matter drank a bottle of wine costing more than £20. But that is not the case with Champagne and I cannot see any reason why that would be other than I have fallen for the marketing. Maybe someone can offer an opinion if a £75 bottle of Champagne is 3 times better than a £25 bottle. Or of a £75 bottle of red is 3 time better than a £25 bottle. I am interested in this, having never experienced the higher priced product. I suspect they are not 3 times better.

Suspect that this was probably not made by the Champagne method (second fermentation in bottle) but by the Russian Transfer or Continuous method - see https://www.effervescents-du-monde.com/pages/80_efferv/meth_continue.en.html or the Wikipedia page on Sparkling Wine Production - so it might also have had a slightly different character.

Like any other product, being seen associated with yacht racing, waved and splashed around on podiums is great marketing seen by millions, you speculate to accumulate, it was forever thus, no different to the endless adverts for the “devils cellar”.

Thanks! I’ll try it again at the next opportunity.

That’s what the Wiki page linked to earlier in this thread said and I wondered what that meant. I know of 5 different methods used to make sparkling wine, this now is the 6th.

Thanks for the link, tho’ I’m still not clear exactly what is going on and how it differs from the Charmat method but it reads as if a machine translator had been used to produce an English version.

I don’t understand what is meant by biogenerator and CO2 stabilisation

I know the two methods are similar and five years ago I’d have been able to exactly tell you what distinguished them (when I was studying for my theory papers). If I can find a copy of Ron Jackson’s book I will try and track it down.

Nothing in Jackson of any relevance. This is from Tom Stevenson’s book. Nothing else I can find.

Thanks for that.

Don’t drink a lot of Champagne, agree that most of it is a costly disappointment. I do think grower Champagnes can be worth the money as was this that I drank on New Years eve. It would have been a rich and complex wine without any bubbles, nothing like dull supermarket Champagne: