01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Anybody going to L&W Rhone Tasting today?

tastings

if so I’ll try to say hi .

Was temptes, but went to TWS instead.

I am!
took a day off :rofl:

wanted to go to this one as well, but I was on holidays abroad…

so pretty interesting tasting.

2017 rhones are usually ripe and have acidity.
As the vignerons who were present commented, this is not as good as 2016, but will give pleasure earlier.

I focused my tasting on Northern Rhone.
Came impressed with Garon, Voge Tunnel, and obviously the top cuvées from Rostaing, Sorrel (Greal, but specially the Roucoules).

Good job I got a bottle from L&W then. This is the kind of bottle that I like the L&W model for… would not buy a case at such a price, but a bottle for a special occasion is great.

I liked the Sorrel reds too.

It was interesting to taste the Chapoutier, Jaboulet and Sorrel Hermitages together (sorry the crash for the Delas table beat me).

The Jaboulet especially La Chapelle was huge and very young. The Sorrels sweeter, more red fruited, Le Greal excellent. Chapoutier Suzianne, in-between, but more modern. I’d go for the latter two myself.

I was more impressed with The Courbis Cornas than Tunnel or Voge, not that they weren’t very good too, just saying.

Burgaud’s CR would be a buy for me. Especially as I don’t have the money for the top Rostaings.

for me, it was the WOTN . Very long and fresh, yet with powerful elegance as an hermitage blanc should be.

One nice discovery as well : Domaine des Pierres Seches, St Joseph Sainte-Epine.
At this price level, it had incredible depth of fruit, spices, and acidity backbone. This is a terroir I love with Delas, and the young vigneron from this estate has done a very good job. Punches above its price tag.

Looks like L&W is running out of this fast.

I was also hugely impressed by the Courbis Cornas and have brought a case of the Champelrose.

Did you try the Clos de Trias Ventoux wines? They were pretty impressive. Interesting that he ages his wines for 5-6 years before releasing. Now have a case of his 2012!

Agree with @ruifilipe and loved the Dom des Pierres Seches St Joseph wines. Can’t afford to buy everything though!

I was there too. Will submit fuller thoughts when I have the chance, but yes, I tried Clos de Trias and we really enjoyed, especially the 2012 VV Rouge. There was a real fresh, deep bitterness to the wines we tried.

Did anyone get a chance to taste the Crozes-Hermitage Les Picaudieres, Cave Rousset? The one review I saw of it was pretty poor (Richard Hemmings, I think) so would be good to hear another view.

They made fab 2015 & 2016s so I’d be surprised if they mucked up badly in 2017.

@ASmith I tasted it and liked it, but perfered the Colombier Gaby on the night. They were slight different styles so it’s personal preference