01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

AGM Questionnaire/Survey?

I received an AGM Questionnaire/Survey on Monday morning, which I dutifully filled in and submitted. I felt that the central point of it was what sort of AGM did the membership want in future years?
What do you think?

1 Like

I would like to see a Virtual event with online voting.
I think that many who attended the online last week might have not attended the “in person/Member” event previously. If Virtual means that more members attend, that can only be good for the Society. And given the concern about “Carbon Footprint,” how much sense does it make asking members to trek at their own (not inconsiderable expense) from Birmingham, Manchester, Norfolk, Newcastle, Penrith, Exeter, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland or even the Channel Islands to attend??
This might be a rare but good spin-off, from the dreadful Covid-19 pandemic!! :dragon:

4 Likes

I agree. I took the opportunity to attend online and vote. I do go to AGMs in London sometimes but usually only when I have a particular reason. Online, I can ask questions and do everything except attend the after-party.

If I recall correctly, the online attendance was similar in number to past purely physical AGMs so perhaps this says something about the after-party.
I suggest a hybrid (physical and online) AGM with the tasting afterwards charged for like a normal event in the interest of fairness to both types of attendee.

1 Like

I seem to recall that friends or family members could attend, but not vote.
Presumably, they can also avail themselves of the range of provided drinks and nibbles.
I wonder if they would attend if a charge was made for non-members?? :thinking: lol
Yes, I am being mischievous :rofl: :wink: but I do ponder on how many members traveling from Aberdeen or Penzance will have a family member or friend in tow given the expense involved, rather than someone living in Knightsbridge or Hampstead?? :dragon:

Maybe next year we can do a #twstaste while attending the AGM.

7 Likes

Would that be the Virtual AGM?? :dragon:

Yes, precisely.

1 Like

Maybe with a newly released Bin #00? wine! :dragon:

2 Likes

There is a charge, ÂŁ10 last year, for non-members. And if you look at the discussion of the last couple of AGMs, you will see that the quality of the wine is criticised.

That would be pure unmitigated chaos! Let’s do it! :rofl:

4 Likes

I’ve just had a quick scan through the past 2 years AGM topics, but couldn’t immediately see more than one person criticising the quality of the wine served…

2 Likes

And if I had just travelled from Sunderland, Stirling, Swansea or even the Scilly Isles, the quality of the wine that was served would be the last thing on my mind!! :wink: :rofl: :dragon:

1 Like

That was my point: don’t assume that anyone goes for free wine.

Human nature being what it is; very, very little would surprise me!! :open_mouth: :wink: :dragon:

3 Likes

I too would support a hybrid meeting format, which if managed well would give the best of both worlds.

Post COVID (if there is a post COVID!), the legal requirement to hold a physical meeting will likely be reinstated, so it’s pretty unlikely it would move entirely online.

4 Likes

Lucky you to get a questionnaire! I didn’t even though I had registered to attend and did so, sending in a comment during the proceedings.
I was pleased to have the on-line format because it meant I could participate when I certainly wouldn’t have travelled to Stevenage from Manchester. I would like to see it repeated.

3 Likes

I also filled in the questionnaire and would like to see a hybrid format.

For those able to travel/living more locally it’s good to go and meet the society, while also having it online enables everyone else to join in.

2 Likes

One thing to be aware of regarding a hybrid format is that those attending remotely will probably not be allowed to vote. Special legal dispensation has been made this year allowing all AGMs to be held remotely and voting made remotely, but this is likely to be revoked after the present crisis recedes. However I see no reason why they can’t stream and record the proceedings in future.

1 Like

Pierre mentioned our aspiration to reduce our carbon footprint regarding the Society’s activities. Packaging will play their part, but where we can avoid the unnecessary use of flights, trains, taxis or busses to transport members to a central location seems laudable. If rules require amendment to address 21st Century issues, so be it!
I thought that the Chairman and Management got this past AGM right on their first pass. They proved that an AGM, fit for purpose in 2020 could be achieved. It would cost me ÂŁ400+ to attend this meeting, given the distance that I would have to travel. For this AGM, I was included and am delighted that I was.
One thing that may have been overlooked, is the number of memberswho attended.
I think that we were told that 400 members logged on live.
I also think that someone mentioned that approximately 500 persons attend, made up of members and friends/family…
There will be a record of members attending previous London AGM’s by the number of votes cast. There will be a record of the number of members who logged onto this virtual AGM and cast their vote.
It will be very interesting to see how the numbers compare?
I think that the management achieved an improvement in the democratisation of the Society’s business across the entire UK, saving so much Carbon footprint.
Being inclusive of the entire membership, rather than (for practical and economic purposes) those who reside within easy distance of the normal AGM venue, QE11 Hall, London W1. :open_mouth: :dragon:

UPDATE
Just checked last years (2019) AGM Minutes and 486 members attended.

2 Likes

It’s not society rules that have to change to allow this but UK company law that has to change and did change to allow for current cicumstances:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/corporate-insolvency-and-governance-bill-2020-factsheets/annual-general-meetings-and-other-general-meetings

2 Likes