01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

"After the Virus"

I know that in the early '10s, my colleague during PhD, who went to TUM was horrified at how much we paid. I think her contribution was to the order of 100€ a semester. She was also by far the best prepared for PhD both academically and socially.

1 Like

Recognition that we live on an overpopulated planet (by humans that is) would be a start…global climate change, pandemics, and pollution all have their roots here.

2 Likes

…do you really?

A moment’s reflection will reveal to you that it was precisely people not ticking the same box they always had that led to the definitive result of the election, just four months ago.
But seriously, Leah, don’t you think there are enough outlets on the global interweb where you can share your political philosophy to avoid the need for you to introduce politics here?

Whatever the view it is impossible to disentangle politics from the virus.

1 Like

This is an inclusive community where members can share many things including how they feel things will be different “after the virus” as per the topic of this thread.
As @Prufrock has mentioned the facts are there in black and white and this is an open community where we all can engage and discuss the current global crisis including how we got to this stage politically.
Maybe you would like to have a look at our weekly online tastings the next of which is the Rhone. Have a look HERE or also you can contribute to our weekday and weekend drinking threads to let us know what bottles you are opening HERE. We would love to here what you are drinking.

4 Likes

This discussion is in the Home & Lifestyle strand, not the partisan and vituperative politics strand. When comments such as “I think Michael Gove and his ilk should be tried for crimes against Childhood” are posted by a mentor, it pollutes the kind and thoughtful tone that I thought The Wine Society was aiming for on their website.

1 Like

I think that’s a quite thoughtful, temperate and restrained comment when it comes to Michael Gove.

3 Likes

Hi @Vernon_Stradling, just want to clarify - we’re absolutely fine for political discussions to take place here as long as everyone keeps to the Community Guidelines. Disagreements and debate are part of life, but anything personal against fellow users is never tolerated. And of course, if you don’t want to discuss a certain topic, you don’t have to - but others might want to, and I’m happy to let them (again, as long as it doesn’t go against the guidelines).

If you have an issue with any post please flag it in the usual way and the Community staff will help.

7 Likes

I have yet to express my views on Mr Gove. It could be argued that by trying to shut down one particular perspective you are tacitly supporting the other. And therefore being political.

But seeing as Mr Gove is at the heart of your point it could be difficult to ascertain who you are against. Mr Gove having distinguished himself by stabbing everybody in the back on his own side as well as himself. And then there is his difficulty with experts. And truth.

I have previously expressed myself poorly and caused offence where none is intended. My apologies if this is the case @Vernon_Stradling. Having made one of these speeches my mother once described me as a ‘supercilious little p***k’. I think she was onto something.

5 Likes

As I started this thread I feel it is incumbent to point out that the one thing that won’t be different once this cursed pandemic has run its course is a change of Government! I think politics is something akin to that old saying about education, ‘Some people talk, others teach’. Whilst its good to air one’s personal political say-so, it’s all useless hot air!

Michael Gove is not at the heart of my point, I would have been equally critical of a post suggesting Jeremy Corbyn be prosecuted for perceived crimes. My point is about the tone of the posts and the inappropriateness of community mentors posting them.
I’ve not been offended by @Prufrock at all, by the way.

Please see @laura post. thankyou

Glad to hear it.

I honestly don’t know what you mean. Let’s start with the fact that there is no such thing as ‘crimes against childhood’ - so you were taking offence at a phantom of my over-active imagination.

But more seriously - there are issues which are difficult to separate from politics - Brexit was another one that reared its head every so often - and as long as we’re all polite, even in our anger (impotent and hot air as it might be), then no offence had been committed. We are adults, after all. These are emotive issues, and the responses are perhaps tinged with emotion.

You are welcome to offer a counter-argument, as you have; you are also always welcome to mute a topic you are not happy about. Moreover, feel free to ‘flag’ a post if you found that it went against the Community Guidelines, regardless of whether it had been posted by a mentor or not.

And - welcome to the community! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I too worry about the severe anxiety that some young people, even of primary age, feel. It’s mostly the fault of we adults. Stress children feel over SATs for example is entirely generated by teachers and parents, often unconsciously, sometimes deliberately to spur them on to higher achievement.
The catastrophising around the issue of climate change is also deeply damaging to mental health, and not just in children. There are plenty of things that adults need to be concerned about but we must not transfer these feelings to our children before they are mature enough to deal with them.

2 Likes

Surely there wouldn’t be any catastrophizing about an issue such as climate change if it wasn’t so vitally important to us all and we actually did something about it?

If you forgive me, but the last few years has taught me that opinions and beliefs seem to able to trump evidence and research. It’s almost as if we’ve all been convinced we are polymaths. And we’ve come to accept that. Gove was playing on that very growth (he’s a brilliant opportunist. It’s the only thing he excels at). I don’t think that’s a good lesson to pass on to our children.

3 Likes

In my opinion this is over-simplification. Where does the original pressure to excel and succeed in a very success-orientated (and money-orientated) society originate from? We adults respond to the world we live in, and try to guide our children best we can within the structures in which we live/find ourselves. Governments pass laws which emphasise their specific belief and political philosophy. Individual citizens may then transfer some of the particular emphasis - for example, that University is the only way to get a decent job - to their children.

Of course, we are all responsible for our children’s mental wellbeing. But to divorce it from the political landscape is, in my opinion, only showing half the picture.

2 Likes

A few points:

1. The research carried out in many countries, supports testing from an early age (so its kinda unfair to single Gove out for this) . To ensure TEACHING is progressing well, by keeping schools on track - it’s not really about the childrens LEARNING at this early age, however it does help reveal learning difficulties so they can be addressed. Teacher’s universally hate being held to account, but surely we want the best for our kids?

2. Steiner schools are fascinating - if you are interested in education its worth reading up on them. I lectured in design at degree level (briefly) and had an ex Steiner student - who thought ‘differantly’ - and quite frankly was an excellent designer.

3. Singapore… is a ferocious meritocracy. If you think our education system is tough, you should see what happens there. And everyone there accepts that to get on, you have to be the best. Not saying it’s morally right… but it works for their society.

1 Like

Surely the only evidence you can present is that it just works for the people it works for? The meritoriousness of it is, again, surely subjective as in all capitalist societies? (I’m not excluding other economic systems, just the predominant one rewards those most able to make most money, not those most able).

1 Like