01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Advice please re rioja or summat similar

Not sure if it qualifies as fine wine, but I like Faustino 1 and of all the society’s exhibition wines, I like the rioja the best.
I could just order cases of this, but I’d be grateful for any recommendations along the same line.
If I were to say I’m more interested in the value had, than the price tag, would that make sense?

3 Likes

The whole rioja alta range is very good in my opinion. The ardanza at around £20 a bottle is fantastic value.

3 Likes

Here’s some good reading for you:

2 Likes

If you like Faustino 1, stick with Faustino 1! They are an old/traditionalist producer, most others in the same vein, for the same quality, will cost you more.

The only other traditionalist of commensurate quality in that price range is the Vina Albina range from Bodegas Riojanas. And IMHO Faustino’s style is closer to CVNE than to the more heavily oak-influenced LRA. Although both are excellent.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t Tondonia be a good match to step the quality up a little?

1 Like

I’d echo the CVNE, and their associated marques (Contino), which gives you both sideways and upwards directions to go exploring their range.

There’s also the Tondonia (and Bosconia) R. Lopez de Heredia wines, which are sometimes a little marmite in terms of rioja fan, but I love. They’re very old school long aged, but despite that some people find them a bit weedy.

2 Likes

I suppose it’s going to depend on which end of the Faustino spectrum appeals to him :smiley:

I’m always loathe to recommend Tondonia straight out of gate, it is still quite a niche product (although try by all means!). Despite drinking oceans of Rioja, I’ve only really gravitated towards it in the last few years, as pretty everyone else has ‘modernised’ to a greater or lesser degree.

2 Likes

I was thinking it might be closer in style to Faustino. I’m not that familiar with Faustino but thought it was a more traditional.

1 Like

May I ask what does CVNE stand for?
Also, I’m mostly asking for wines the society sell. I don’t really mind what country they are from, I’m not wedded to the notion of rioja as such. I also want to try to not drink faustino 1 endlessly, though it’s been my favourite years before decanter pushed it, much to my dismay.

1 Like

Compañía Vinícola del Norte del España, you can find more information here: https://www.cvne.com/en/

1 Like

As I started the original thread I guess I should comment.
I’ve never liked faustino (spell check just changed it to “farted”- nuff said!). Although the 2004 on offer in Tesco was a good pointer to traditional gran Reserva. At the time, and now, I much preferred the deep spicy Ardanza from Rioja Alta, the clearer fruit of Contino, Imperial’s class and the oaky depths of Tondonia.
So to answer the question on the wine society’s range, Ardanza 2010 is brilliant. Contino good and the 2009 is a cracking vintage(yet to taste). I think the Arana 2011 and the exhibition would possibly be more faustino in style, very much oak aged Tempranillo.

Outside of Rioja, Emm, it’s now an almost unique style. Two things spring to mind, Musar for it funky oakageness and Weinert Cabernet 2008, much bigger but has that long old oak aging.

3 Likes

Faustino 1 was the first really good Rioja we tasted. We like the traditional styles and would recommend anything by the Urbina winery. The Crianza is nice, the Reservas beautiful and their Gran Reservas superb value. They don’t have the strength and depth of some of the more stellar bodegas but they are just beautifully made in the traditional manner.

3 Likes

Yes you’re right that is probably the best match from TWS.
There is a community tasting on this forum on Thursday, Involving the 2006 from Urbina. Which will be fun and informative.
I hoping to pick up a bottle locally to taste.

2 Likes

Good word.

1 Like

Had to override spell check for that one😇

The La Rioja Alta that several of us have mentioned is on TWS at the moment.

For a cheap and cheerful punching well above its price wine I am a big fan of

which is from Navarra next door, their Garnacha is also great.

They only currently stock the CVNE Grand Imperial which is £40 a bottle as is the only Contino they currently list (the 100% Graciano, which I am not going to buy… honest… maybe I’ll just put it on my wishlist…).

Is Italian as well as spanish grapes grown in Australia and has a decent amount of American Oak which gives it a certain Rioja-yness too.

4 Likes

If you’re up for spending £40 on a bottle of wine, then it is insanely good. I had the 2010 while I was in Northern Spain last year.

6 Likes

It’s only a small change from Rioja, but I was amazed by the 2010 Bohorquez - tempranillo again, but from Ribera del Duero.

4 Likes

In the current 25% off wine at Sainsbury, the CVNE Cune* Crianza Rioja is reduced from £8 to £6 when you buy 6, and they also have some Faustino, not 1 or the other numbers, but Faustino Rivero Rioja at £6 before the discount. I’ve not tried the latter.

*Cune was a printer’s typographical error which CVNE decided to keep as it was pronounceable as a word

1 Like

Slightly off topic but I shared a bottle of the Tondonia Reserva Blanco Rioja over lunch before lockdown.

I’ve never had it before and loved it. Very full and funky which was odd for a white wine. It split the table, I was in the minority that enjoyed it. The majority of the table didn’t get it. What I thought was complex and interesting, they just thought it tasted like it was off.

4 Likes